Re: Quantum Legions

cricket wrote:
Sergeant Crunch wrote:

Would the hexes be suitably sized to allow for the use of 6mm miniatures instead of counters if one so desired?

I don't know about using the exact hexes I plan to include with the game -- but there will be rules for using minatures, both with and without hexes.

Cool, I like the sound of that.

Regarding the hexes, less overhang on the hexes would be better.

cricket wrote:

Another, more "realistic" take on terrain.

ooh, I like. Still abstract, but somehow just feels a little more sci-fi to me. I have to say, I for one like the way the art fades out of the hex allowing two adjacent terrain features kind of meld/blend together at their edge and making them a little less, well, "hexy".
Cheers,
Erik

cricket wrote:

Just had another thought, since this is a sci-fi setting and I presume the battles could take place on many different worlds, would you consider doing basic terrain for different types of worlds. A couple of examples would be a "moonscape" background pocked with craters, possibly large impact craters as a terrain feature, and domed cities rather than the blocky one from the example. I'm sure I can come up with a few more examples once I finish my coffee, but I think you can see what I'm saying. It seems that is the kind of thing that would add to the sci-fi flavor.
Erik

I don't mind the overhang, but I think it would look better with about half the distance into the next hex that what is shown currently.  I like the style though.

Sergeant Crunch wrote:

I don't mind the overhang, but I think it would look better with about half the distance into the next hex that what is shown currently.  I like the style though.

Agreed. I like the look, just not quite as much blending as there is now.

Also, as I said earlier and as Blacklancer suggests, I think having 3 or 4 different maps would be nice. Earthy, moon, ice, desert, volcanic, etc. Domed cities would be cool, too.

I do like the new hexes. They do look neat, without being too "realistic". Plus the new ones look a little more "professional" than the first set. The first set was a little... eh...

I'm also in agreement about the new look.
The less cartoony, less abstract look is better.
I also think leaving a little less "overhang" with respect to the blending would be better.
Oh...
In the city hexes, can one of the "houses" have a pool?
That'd be a nice touch. wink
Kevin

underling wrote:

In the city hexes, can one of the "houses" have a pool?

Yeah, I'll get right on that. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Just messin' around...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Cool, but where's the pool?  lol

What types of units are you looking at for the game?

cricket wrote:

Just messin' around...

I like the crater. Just a thought, how difficult would it be to create a "city" made up of multiple domes of varying sizes rather than a single dome covering the whole thing? I know it would probably be a lot more work, but hey, I had to ask cuz I think it might look pretty cool smile
Cheers,
Erik

More moonscape...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

More moonscape...

oooooh....ahhhhh.....me like much!  :geek:

cricket wrote:

I like the new style, just remember not to make color have meaning... or ask me if I can see the colors.

cricket wrote:

More moonscape...

Why's that crater got a pimple?

jimbeau wrote:
cricket wrote:

More moonscape...

It's an adolescent crater?

I like it!

jimbeau wrote:

'cause this one does:

http://mousely.com/wiki_image/6/61/Moon.crater.arp.750pix.jpg

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

jimbeau wrote:

I like the new style, just remember not to make color have meaning... or ask me if I can see the colors.

Actually, I have been very cautious of that...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Cool.

and apparently the moon has pimples, hm. never knew that

cricket wrote:
jimbeau wrote:

Actually, I have been very cautious of that...

Hmmm.....I like having different colors for different factions, but in light of this - we could still do that, just add a symbol in addition to the color for the faction.

We could also make the Units unique so that the 'faction' was obvious.

I would rather see an Icon with meaning than silhouettes with meaning.... but I'm just like that

Well, at least we agree that meaning is important....

As long as we don't overlook color as an excellent device for many players. It's not unusual for modern games to have both unique symbols and colors for different factions. See Panzergrenadier, for example, although even the venerable Squad Leader had unique infantry symbols for the different nations.

The rule I have always followed (or at least, since meeting Jim smile) is that color is necessary, but not sufficient.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com