Topic: Quantum Legions

Okay... still a little ways away from a playtest-ready pack. In the meantime, I'm wondering about the graphics...

As mentioned elsewhere, I see this game as a throwback of sorts to the old hex-and-counter games, with a sci-fi feel and updated mechanics. To that end, I'd like to keep some of the "feel" of those old games, but provide a modern spin.

For example, terrain. I think it'd be wicked cool to move away from realistic graphics (like actual satellite photos of forests, hills, etc.) and instead go with more stylized patterns. But I'm a bit stuck for examples to use as inspiration.

Ideas are welcome.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Quantum Legions

What kind of throwback terrain are you thinking of? Squad Leader? Panzer Leader? Or a slightly updated look to the old style, like in Eisenbach Gap?

Another question: What's the scale? What size units are we talking about? How many hexes can they shoot?

Yes, I am very interested in this title.  :geek:

Like I said -- playtest pack coming soon.

Ground/time scale is somewhat indeterminate. "Elements" are infantry squads/individual vehicles; "units" are platoons. Game board is roughly 12 x 18 hexes. Movement is 1 hex/turn for infantry, 2+ for vehicles. Weapon ranges are generally 4-6 hexes, although some might shoot further.

And thanks for the reference material: keep the suggestions coming! smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Maybe similar to Battletech maps?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31759/classic-battletech-introductory-box-set

*waiting with great anticipation*

Something along these lines... ?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

You hear a loud rustling sound as all of the prospective playtesters recoil in horror, and then slowly slink away into the dark recesses of their respective basements. Those that don't *have* basements immediately begin digging them.
Kevin

I wouldn't mind that, so long as I wouldn't have to print it.

With the right unit graphics, that could work. I *prefer* a little less brightness but I am on board with iconic terrain hexes.

I am a little confused by your element/unit distinction but if the maneuver elements (i.e., counters) on the board will be squads and individual vehicles, then I think the terrain should be more "realistic" to allow for LOS that corresponds to terrain rather than hexes. Although, to simplify the game, having whole hex terrain would make LOS easier.

Game design is never easy, is it, Dan?  lol

Lock N Load uses squads/individual vehicles: map looks like this.

Conflict of Heroes maps are probably too gritty.

And then there's Combat Commander.

All of these are, however, newer games, published in the last few years. The graphics are, therefore, probably more up-to-date than you were looking for.

Some older game maps:
Grav Armor
Star Soldiers
Hammer's Slammers (Damn! Those books were fun back in the day...)
Shockwave

Some of these have multiple maps which, given the Sci Fi theme, would be fun. The "earth" map, the ice map, the desert map, the volcano map... you get the idea.

underling wrote:

You hear a loud rustling sound as all of the prospective playtesters recoil in horror, and then slowly slink away into the dark recesses of their respective basements. Those that don't *have* basements immediately begin digging them.

So you LIKE it, then? big_smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Sergeant Crunch wrote:

I wouldn't mind that, so long as I wouldn't have to print it.

I would put together a B&W version for DIY printing.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

MadSeason wrote:

With the right unit graphics, that could work. I *prefer* a little less brightness but I am on board with iconic terrain hexes.

The colors are just examples -- I'm looking for just the right color palette...

I am a little confused by your element/unit distinction but if the maneuver elements (i.e., counters) on the board will be squads and individual vehicles, then I think the terrain should be more "realistic" to allow for LOS that corresponds to terrain rather than hexes. Although, to simplify the game, having whole hex terrain would make LOS easier.

Yeah -- as mentioned elsewhere, I'm in a minimalist phase, which means I'm solidly behind whole-hex terrain.

Game design is never easy, is it, Dan?  lol

Game design  = Not so bad.

Game PRODUCTION = Pain in the ass.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

MadSeason wrote:

Shockwave

In terms of scale, I'm leaning more towards the OGRE/GEV/Shockwave maps, although the graphics are more "realistic" than I'm looking for.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

MadSeason wrote:

With the right unit graphics, that could work.

Speaking of unit graphics... I'm leaning towards using icons for those as well. At most, I'd want silhouettes, keeping with the minimalist approach.

The question is: do I use standard NATO-style iconography? Or come up with something suitably "scifi-ish"?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

My vote is for suitably sci-fi.

Sergeant Crunch wrote:

My vote is for suitably sci-fi.

I concur! The old Starship Troopers and Ogre look. smile

cricket wrote:
underling wrote:

So you LIKE it, then? big_smile

Well, I wouldn't go quite *that* far.  wink
Per our conversation earier, I was having a hard time putting my finger on it, but I think I know what's "wrong" now.
I think the colors are just a little too bright, and the symbols a little too abstract.
But I'd have to see what the hexes look like in the context of a whole map.
I've been envisioning terrain density similar to Memoir '44 or Battlelore, so maybe once this terrain is spread out a little bit it'll work.
Kevin

Maybe these counters will go over better than the terrain... smile

Thanks to Dugan for the silhouettes.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Maybe these counters will go over better than the terrain... smile

Thanks to Dugan for the silhouettes.

personally, I like the infantry sil, but I think that the tank would be better with a full side view to distinguish it easily from other similar type units on the game board (this would be especially true of vehicles without big honkin launchers on top for easy spotting). I think a side view would also show off the artwork better than the 3/4 view.
There...my two cents have been donated to the cause!
Cheers,
Erik

I agree with the Blacklancer... profiles for the vehicles. If it's vital to distinguish types of tanks then it should not only be obvious from the profile but also some denotation on the counter.

Would the hexes be suitably sized to allow for the use of 6mm miniatures instead of counters if one so desired?

Another, more "realistic" take on terrain.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Sergeant Crunch wrote:

Would the hexes be suitably sized to allow for the use of 6mm miniatures instead of counters if one so desired?

I don't know about using the exact hexes I plan to include with the game -- but there will be rules for using minatures, both with and without hexes.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com