Topic: Grand Admiral released!

Majestic Twelve Games would like to announce the first release for our newest game system, GRAND ADMIRAL.

In the wake of the Great War, a new arms race loomed. The United States and Japan each trusted in a strong navy to achieve future security and retain political influence. Within three years of the Treaty of Versailles, no less than twenty-five new battleships and battlecruisers had been ordered by the two powers, exactly equal to the number already in commission at the end of the War.

The Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 was meant, among other things, to put an end to increased militarization in the Pacific; but by increasing Japanese resentment and playing into American fears, it could achieve no more than to delay the inevitable conflict. Had things gone differently, it might not have even done that much...

GRAND ADMIRAL: FLASHPOINT ORANGE includes the following:

* The Grand Admiral rulebook
* 150 full-color counters representing nearly all American and Japanese forces as of 1922
* Data cards for 150 individually named ships, representing over 50 different classes, from destroyers to super-dreadnoughts
* 16 action cards
* 17" by 22" game board

Grand Admiral is the collective name for Majestic Twelve Games' series of large-scale board games simulating naval combat during the age of the battleship.

Emphasizing simple game mechanics and fast gameplay without sacrificing historical accuracy, each entry in the Grand Admiral line stands alone. However, the core game mechanics remain constant, allowing players to combine ships from different products to create new scenarios and explore any number of "what-if" situations.

Although designed as a hex–n-counter board game, Grand Admiral can be easily adapted to tabletop play using any scale of naval miniatures. So, raise the battle ensign, sound general quarters, and damn the torpedoes -- your destiny awaits!

For more information, visit the Majestic Twelve Games web site at http://www.mj12games.com.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Grand Admiral released!

Dammit, Dan! I have enough games to play right now.  big_smile

I skimmed through the demo rules and will definitely pick this up...

I skimmed through the demo rules and will definitely pick this up...

Hey MadSeason, how long until there is a vassal mod? Is it done yet? How about now?   lol

The demo rules do look interesting, I'll probably HAVE to buy it too  :roll: ...
Cheers,
Erik

Well, if I can convince Dan, there will be a Vassal mod.  lol

Sadly, not a game I'll be getting. Hate action card-based games.

The action cards are just a way to mix up the order of play. One could just as easily apply a standard initiative-move-shoot sequence, and the rest of the game would not suffer.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I was surprised by the action cards and can see how they might frustrate players. Still, I will definitely play it that way initially. I might also try an initiative system, if I don't like the cards.

I've read the rules (that didn't take very long!) -- it's light fare but has enough meat on those bones for it to be fun. Can't wait to play! And to think I just received my copy of Pacific Crossroads last week.  lol

Just from my point of view i wouldn't mind having 2 sets of "tent" style counters instead of a double sided one (damaged/undamaged). Tent counters are easier to move on a real table top and just look better to me than having a counter "upside-down" relative to the other counters. Maybe that could be an optional download? If I'm printing them from a PDF cost shouldn't be an issue, right?
Just finding something to complain about as usual  wink
Erik

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Just from my point of view i wouldn't mind having 2 sets of "tent" style counters instead of a double sided one (damaged/undamaged). Tent counters are easier to move on a real table top and just look better to me than having a counter "upside-down" relative to the other counters.

Are you suggesting one tent counter for the undamaged ship and another for the damaged version?

Maybe that could be an optional download? If I'm printing them from a PDF cost shouldn't be an issue, right?
Just finding something to complain about as usual  wink

Cost may not be an issue, but the time needed to create the download file is. big_smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Are you suggesting one tent counter for the undamaged ship and another for the damaged version?

Yep. Heck, a creative sort could make a damaged looking silhouette even so it would be easier to spot!  lol

Cost may not be an issue, but the time needed to create the download file is. big_smile

I know. Can't blame a guy for tryin' though!  smile  Seems to me if you had a template you could insert the silhouette, mirror it and drop the text info in, but I know time is money. Besides, I should really let you get back to creating new Starmada stuff  wink
Erik

Blacklancer99 wrote:

I know. Can't blame a guy for tryin' though!

I'm not saying I won't do it... just pointing out there are some resources involved in producing something like that.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Does the Flashpoint Orange book have a stat generator in case I want to create the ships for Dogger Banks for example?

There is no ship generation info in Flashpoint Orange... right now, all the number-crunching is done via a rather complicated Excel spreadsheet. There may be something in the future.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

The action cards are just a way to mix up the order of play. One could just as easily apply a standard initiative-move-shoot sequence, and the rest of the game would not suffer.

Maybe, but I'm saving up for a couple of other games, and an action card-based game isn't that high on my list of priorities, especially since I've not been able to play a game of S:AE yet (never have enough time on my own)

How disappointing.
I just got into Grand Fleet, and then all forward progress gets killed for a new game.
Worse still, there is no way to use this new game to play out the 'what-if' scenarios that my opponents and I are involved in.

When a ship generation system gets integrated, I'll likely give it a try.
Till then, I'll read the reviews and hang onto that $15.00 (and keep my wife off my back for overspending on gaming materials this month big_smile ).

Heh heh...
Don't get me started on GF or ARES.
Both systems have lost my support, and my name's on a few of the products in those lines.  wink

underling wrote:

Heh heh...
Don't get me started on GF or ARES.
Both systems have lost my support, and my name's on a few of the products in those lines.  wink

....my name's on Iron Stars, I'm not complaining....following Dan's creative impulse is a bit like riding a bull. Hang on tight, make sure the clowns are ready to distract him....
smile

I still think ARES has some potential as a light RPG.

Carthaginian wrote:

I just got into Grand Fleet, and then all forward progress gets killed for a new game.

Couple things:

1) Forward progress on Grand Fleets was not killed by GA... It's been a year since the last release for GF. While you can blame me and my ADD-style approach to game design, GF2 didn't exactly set this forum alight with interest. Besides, GF and GA can easily co-exist -- it's not one or the other. I see the situation as akin to the FedCom/SFU dichotomy.

2) I really like the idea of a self-contained game, complete with counters, and my continued return to a GA-type game was to some extent holding up progress on other things.

When a ship generation system gets integrated, I'll likely give it a try.

Stay tuned. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I wondered whatever happened to this game.  You guys were working on this right about the same time I was working on what eventually became Naval Thunder. 

I like the approach you guys have taken in rolling it up to the fleet level in a way that is playable by 2 players.  Despite NT's fast-play mechanics, it's still at a greater level of detail and thus we found that to play Jutland with Naval Thunder takes about 5 hours and requires 8 - 10 players.

GA has an elegant simplicity to it that I think many will find appealing.

Ask an we shall receive!
I just found the conversion document to get Grand Fleet ships into Grand Admiral. That was some mighty quick work. big_smile
I can see the SFB/FedComm relation between the games, perhaps (as with the ADB games) the two communities will feed off each other rather than one feeding on the other.

I noticed that the Tsar & Emperor book disappeared from the Grand Fleets page, and that's what made it look like the game had stopped being worked on. Is that particular book still in the works?