Topic: Battlefleet Gothic conversions

Hi,

here are my Battlefleet Gothic conversations. So far I have done and tested the bulk of Imperial and Chaos ships and designed flights for all races.

I noticed there are already conversations but more ships are always better I guess.

Feedback welcome :-)

Re: Battlefleet Gothic conversions

Very nice.  I like that you kept it simple rather than getting all complicated like our previous conversion efforts did...  the new rules also look entertaining and fitting for the setting.  Your relatively low shield ratings and longer ranges should also help keep games fairly short (a problem I've noticed with my fleets is that things tend to drag on and on...  particularly if the Imperials are involved).

Just for comparison, here's my most recent version of the Lunar (I did 4 versions of the Imperials, then decided I disliked some elements of the 4th revision and combined 4 and 3 into v3.5, which I think I'm sticking to):

Type: Lunar-Class Imperial  Cruiser  (278)
Hull: 8 7 6 5* 4 3 2 1
Engines: [TL0] 4 4 3 3 2 2 1 1                       
Shields: [TL0] 5 5 4 4 3 2 2 1                       
Weapons : 1:[VWXZ], 2:[VWXZ], 3:[VWX], 4:[2WX], 5:[2WX], 6:[2WY]
Weapons
Battery V:   Lance 30  TL0,  1-2/3-4/5-6,  1/4+/1/1
No Range Modifiers, Ignores Shields
[C]  [C] [D] [D]
Battery W:   Battery 30  TL0,  1-2/3-4/5-6,  1/4+/1/1
[C]  [C]  [C]  [C]  [C]  [C] [D] [D] [D] [D] [D] [D]
Battery X:   Torpedo  TL0,  1-6/7-12/13-18,  1/4+/1/1
Double Range Modifiers, Slow Firing, Piercing +1
[G]  [G]  [G]  [G]  [G]  [G]
Battery Y:   Teleporter  TL0,  1/2/---,  2/4+/1/1
No Hull Damage, Ignores Shields, Continuing Damage, Carronade & No Range modifiers
[ABCDEF]
Battery Z:   Turret  TL0,  1/2/3,  1/4+/1/1
No Range Modifiers, Fighter-Exclusive, Anti-Fighter //this weapon design follows from the fact that bombers are flight size 1 with speed 4.  Under other circumstances, it would be quite useless.  As it stands, I'm not entirely convinced I shouldn't upgrade the range to 6 if I want it to actually work.
[ABCDEF]  [ABCDEF]
Special Equipment   Equipment Tech Level: Individual TL
Armor Plating :

Thanks,

my goal with Starmada conversions is always to simplify the source material as most combat systems don't handle large fleets too well. So my BFG fleets can be rather large without bogging the game down too much. I had teleporters and such in an earlier version but skipped them because of that. Maybe I will write a special rule for boarding similar to sailing ship boarding in style. Target has to be adjacent and sufficiently damaged and ships then become entangled while boarding or only a raid is happening.
Fighters are also a constant problem of mine. I switched between strikers and flights and although I have individual stats for them I would like to simplify them further. I will look into that when/if I do other races.

As of now movement seems to be really important with these conversions. You have to keep fighters away and short range broadsides are devastating due to the low shield values. Battles are mostly skirmishes at long range (I also use lots of terrain) then it ends up with very brutal close range firefights and it is never obvious who will win until the last moment. Really like it this way.

Btw, up for a game with Vassal?

I like. My only sentiment? Drop the Hyperdrive off of them. Ships only disengage from leaving the board edge. Hyperdrive gives them an option they don't normally have. Otherwise I find them to be very interesting.

Yes you are correct. I had Hyperdrives in my template so it has been added to every ship. Never thought about it. I will put it on the list of things to change.

I think I might take a second gander at your ships in consideration of a demo day I want to do. Demo BFG, SFB, Fed Com, Starmada and then at the end run either an Imperials versus Empire game with BFG Imperial ships versus Klingons or call it Federation and Imperium...?!? with Feds versus Imperials. The more direct conversion that Nomad and I looked at before might be bit too weird of a match-up.