Topic: Point System in Version 2

I own the version 1 rules and love them. However, I noticed in version 2, you have created a point system to help balance out games. By any chance are you able to share the formula so that us version 1 players can use a point based system for balance.

If not, are there any recommendations on what is currently used to help balance out version 1 battles. I've heard most people just use hull points, but it's obvious that ships with the same number of hull points can shell out different amounts of damage.

Thanks for you help and input on this.

Re: Point System in Version 2

GeekEGuy wrote:

If not, are there any recommendations on what is currently used to help balance out version 1 battles. I've heard most people just use hull points, but it's obvious that ships with the same number of hull points can shell out different amounts of damage.

The problem with sharing a point system is that it has to be written in a way that can be understood... and right now, the point system for GF2 is too cumbersome -- that's the reason it wasn't included in the book, not out of some newfound need for secrecy. smile

Having said that, hull size actually is a good indicator of relative power, since historically the larger ships carried larger guns.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Cricket I guess its been a while since you looked at GF2, but believe me, you included a points system in it!  Just took a look to make sure I wasn't crazy.

@OP
Its quite complicated to just state.  It has similarities to Starmada.  I recommend picking up GF2 - the price is very reasonable and there are full design rules to convert real world ship data into game stats - and point them out as well.

-Tim

marauder wrote:

believe me, you included a points system in it! Just took a look to make sure I wasn't crazy

Wow... combine a brain fart with a complete misread of the OP, and that's what you get. My bad... smile

So, GeekEGuy, you're wanting to know if we can share the point system from GF2, so you can use it in GF1? I can send you the relevant page of the rules, but I'm not sure how much good it will do you.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I'm not sure it's going to help me. smile

I've just been sticking to hull points. It isn't a perfect solution, but me and my buddies aren't competitve enough to care. We're enjoying Version 1 very much.

Thank you for the replies.