Topic: Ares as an explore the dungeon game?

Hey:

With Gencon looming, I have been thinking of games that I would like to put on if I ever ran some at Gencon.  One idea came to me, but I couldn't think how to change the rules to make it fit.

My thought was to to run a dungeon quest using the Ares rules, but I couldn't figure out how to handle the experience points and the multitude of options for different weaponry that could occur.Any thought on how to make a dungeon game with Ares or should I look for a new MJ12 game system in the future? smile

-Bren

Re: Ares as an explore the dungeon game?

jygro wrote:

Hey:

With Gencon looming, I have been thinking of games that I would like to put on if I ever ran some at Gencon.  One idea came to me, but I couldn't think how to change the rules to make it fit.

My thought was to to run a dungeon quest using the Ares rules, but I couldn't figure out how to handle the experience points and the multitude of options for different weaponry that could occur.Any thought on how to make a dungeon game with Ares or should I look for a new MJ12 game system in the future? smile

-Bren

uh, maybe pre-determine the levelling (ie work out for each of several "characters" the upgrade cost of going one damage dice up then one defence dice up, etc)

For experience, you could just have kills/treasure/whatever earn you straight points to improve a model's stats.  Probably want some sort of sliding scale so that the tougher you get, the tougher the opposition becomes.

For weapons...well, what *can't* you simulate with appropriate traits?  Or do you mean it's hard to have one model with many different weapon choices available...the infamous "fighter with a weapon caddy henchman" type?

Rich

hundvig wrote:

For experience, you could just have kills/treasure/whatever earn you straight points to improve a model's stats.  Probably want some sort of sliding scale so that the tougher you get, the tougher the opposition becomes.

For weapons...well, what *can't* you simulate with appropriate traits?  Or do you mean it's hard to have one model with many different weapon choices available...the infamous "fighter with a weapon caddy henchman" type?

Rich

I was thinking to make characters have skills for certain weapons (aka maces, swords) so that there would be some variation, but perhaps that is a bit much for what I am thinking!  Maybe range, melee and magic is enough of a difference to make the game entertaining...

Definately want some kind of experience system to allow players to advance characters.  Currently, I think that the way the point totals are worked out that it will be very difficult to make experience 'balanced' without recalculating the VP of the heroes after every session.

Much to think about.  Thank goodness I have a year to work on it eh?

-Bren

Well, recalculating the Heroes in PV will let you set up appropriate opposition. Like, 150% of the heroes' cost >:)

If you don't bother specifying what weapon does what, but keep it as what CHARACTER does what, players can use whatever mini they like. This is a GOOD THING.

We do this, and it works quite well.

We assign the total point cost as XP to the figure that earned it.  The figures may then exchange 1000 points for a single die upgrade on their stats, or for a new Special Trait.

All found items are classed as Weapon Ranged, weapon Melee, Armor, or Item.  They are not defined beyond that, and simply become whatever the figure has on it.  Example; a WeaponMelee would be come a sword if the figure had a sword, or a mace if the figure had a mace.  An Item is anything the figure is wearing, from a pendant to their pants.  (really, who doesn't want magic pants?).

As is that works perfectly fine.  We use the Spotting rules as normal for spotting traps and such.

We have added an additional Attribute that allows the figures to do more things, like disarm traps and such.  That's not required though.

Wow, three and a half year old thread.

I thought this was a cool idea when it was first posted, i'm glad someone's actually done something with it.

Sounds like a call for an 'official version' to me.....
big_smile

Glad to hear that this works!  I'd love to see what you came up with.  Pictures would be a huge plus.

-Bren

Okay, let me see if I can find some photos.  I know whe took them...I just need to recall where I saved them...
I'll see about getting the rules in a coherent order and post them up somewhere too.