Topic: Battle report "To Hold Misturn Pass"

Using modified 3+Def combat Mechanic and Optional Large Creature rules.

We played "To Hold Misturn Pass" yesterday.  It was an eye opener for me as far as scnario design.  It really wasn't balanced at all, mostly I think because the elephants were way too powerful and I didn't have nearly enough archers.

The object of this scenario is to have a Boreal Horde enter form the north and the dwarves set up a blockade in Misturn Pass. (Map Attached) North is on the right. Noel: Tiresome Boreal Horde Jim: The Laudable Dwarves of the Pass.

The Horde set up with a vengence, damn that's a lot of minis!

The stoic dwarves realized their doom had come, but must hold the pass. They rolled a d4+2 to see when reinforcements would arrive and turn four it was!

The first turn ran uneventfully and the dwarves repositioned themselves and the boreal slowly trotted forward singing evil songs.

The second turn ran much the same, with the Hideous creatures the Boreals force into war with them running forward to attack.

Third turn represents the beginning of the end for our heoric dwarves.

Initial contact with the monsters was harsh for the dwarves, they lost a few stlawart warriors in the first contact, but remained realtively intact.

Until Turn 4 that is.  There is something about a creature 6 times as tall as you running toward you with javelins and bows a-firing that turns a drarf's heart to ice.  The first waves of dwarves didn't slow the beasts at all, they were trampled underfoot like a bunch of short, hairy, densely-packed grapes.

Luckily for them, there were re-incforcements.  The toughest unit of dwarves yet lined up to face the elephants.

Turn 5, the dwarven tough guys were not very. They went poof too. It was at this point my personal morale was beginning to fail, so the rest is a bit of a blur, suffice it to say that I'm probably going to make a couple of changes to the way monsters are played for second edition.  At least the point costs will be modified to reflect their value.

Overall it was very informative, and I regret not taking puctures, but the wife had the camera.

it was quite instructive and I'm glad it got played finally as it's what I hope to play at the conventions this month.

Re: Battle report "To Hold Misturn Pass"

jimbeau wrote:

We played "To Hold Misturn Pass" yesterday.  It was an eye opener for me as far as scnario design.  It really wasn't balanced at all, mostly I think because the elephants were way too powerful and I didn't have nearly enough archers.
[...]
it was quite instructive and I'm glad it got played finally as it's what I hope to play at the conventions this month.

What did you use as the board? Heroscape hexes?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Why, yes, I did smile almost four sets to be specific.

jimbeau wrote:

Email Spam Poetry
Enter an old tear that is the monkeys own giving out she is young and rose-lippd cherubin-- aye, they look grim as hell.

Heh.....Spam's good for something, eh?

:-)

Heroscape hexes are so amazingly useful smile

I'd love to get some extra copies of just the hexes from Heroscape.  I can live without 4 sets of the miniatures, but I'd really like the 4 copies of the hexes!  Can't wait for the lava hexes and the castle pieces to come out (saw them at Gencon).

-Bren