Topic: Starmada Nova Rulebook now available for pre-orders

Spring is in the air... birds are chirping, bees are buzzing, and the Starmada Nova Rulebook is available for pre-orders!

Starmada is a miniatures board game of starship combat. At its most basic level, players take command of mighty fleets in a general attempt to reduce each other to just so much space junk. At its most advanced, the game can be customized to breathe life into any science fiction background that players might imagine.

The Nova Rulebook represents a new beginning for The Universal Game of Starship Combat. While in some ways this new edition is notably different from previous incarnations of the game, at its core Starmada remains the game players around the world have grown to know and love. As always, the guiding principle has been ''simple, but not simplistic''. Within this book, players will find:

* Streamlined inertial movement, with optional movement systems to encompass a wide range of settings;
* An intuitive combat system, including three distinct and layered types of starship defenses; and
* The most comprehensive set of starship construction rules available in any game currently available!

Dozens of stand-alone options and advanced rules are provided, from which you may pick and choose to fit your desired level of complexity and create the type of game YOU want to play.

Pre-order customers will receive a download link for a ''beta'' release of the rulebook in PDF format. Once hard copies ship in early April, pre-order customers will receive an updated electronic copy as well.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Starmada Nova Rulebook now available for pre-orders

Huzzah! Order placed! Thanks Cricket!
Cheers,
Erik

Hooray!  Any idea when the pdf will hit rpgnow and other distributors?

Uff da!

Just printed it out...

Awesome downloading now! Gonna have to take an extra long lunch break today  wink

Nomad wrote:

Soon. wink

EDIT: I do not expect to provide the file to other distributors until after the hard copies have shipped, but you can get the "pre-release" PDF from the MJ12 web site: http://www.mj12games.com/starmada/mjg0130.html

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Dan,

Will those of us who purchased now be able to download any updates?

-Tim

Marauder wrote:

Will those of us who purchased now be able to download any updates?

Yes.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
Nomad wrote:

Soon. wink

EDIT: I do not expect to provide the file to other distributors until after the hard copies have shipped, but you can get the "pre-release" PDF from the MJ12 web site: http://www.mj12games.com/starmada/mjg0130.html

OK; I was at first discouraged by the fact that you only take PayPal, but then discovered that I had $13 in paypal from a mysterious source, so it's a moot point now...  expect to get another sale once I'm done with this assignment tongue.

Nomad wrote:

OK; I was at first discouraged by the fact that you only take PayPal, but then discovered that I had $13 in paypal from a mysterious source, so it's a moot point now...

FWIW, you don't need a PayPal account...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Bought!

Marc

Will have to wait until tomorrow. Did my taunting get you into gear? tongue

Taunting?
is it a cousin of http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tauntaun? big_smile

Marc

Yes, but with more snarky comments...:P

murtalianconfederacy wrote:

Will have to wait until tomorrow. Did my taunting get you into gear? tongue

Nah, I think he heard you were working on another supplement, and under Cat's Principle of Maximum Inconvenience, decided that this would be a good time to release tongue.

And cricket, really?  How is that done?

Nomad wrote:

Uh... how is WHAT done?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
Nomad wrote:

Uh... how is WHAT done?

Sorry; checkout sans paypal account.  Also disregard; turns out I failed to read entire page previously.

Thanks! Looking forward to taking the new system out for a spin!  smile

I've so been looking forward to this. I finally get to feel like I was in from the beginning on a game again. I've not had that experience since I was a boy!

And...bought. Like quite a few things in it, so far, but the ship design part is horrifying--I'm not entirely sure where the log function on my older calculator is, so it might have to be relegated to SAE-only designs. A few other things aren't that great either, but I think I understand now why its defaulted to an initiative-first system rather than simultaneous movement/combat.

But Directed Defences (FF) looks really interesting--my Quolari might be re-designed for this. Shuttles, tractors, armour, oh my...:P

And...bought. Like quite a few things in it, so far, but the ship design part is horrifying--I'm not entirely sure where the log function on my older calculator is, so it might have to be relegated to SAE-only designs. A few other things aren't that great either, but I think I understand now why its defaulted to an initiative-first system rather than simultaneous movement/combat.

But Directed Defences (FF) looks really interesting--my Quolari might be re-designed for this. Shuttles, tractors, armour, oh my...:P

Agreed - Directed Defenses look good, the new Overthrusters are Grumm Pivots, which are also great, and I'm excited for Flares.  Alas, poor Cloaking, though...

And yeah, I feel like a refresher on the Change of Base Formula for logarithms would've been pretty helpful, since most calculators don't support arbitrary-base logs...  Excel / OpenOffice does, though tongue.  Spreadsheet's in the works.

Thats not good for the likes of me who prefer to design ships with pen and paper, though...:(

Thats not good for the likes of me who prefer to design ships with pen and paper, though...:(

Thankfully, there's only two places you need to do any Logarithms - armor defense factor, and determining the arc penalties on weapon batteries. For the former, there's a handy table. For the latter, there's a simpler way, using the percentage of weapons out of the whole battery that use the arc in question. I think, once you get a few ships under your belt (which you, of all people, will) you'll forget that there are odd-based logs built into the system at all.

And I look forward to Nomad's spreadsheet - the Drydock website is good for getting started, but not really my ideal tool. I like something I can use offline, and that calculates on the fly for me, rather than having all those submit buttons.

True, and its not too big a problem. However, the table does stop at 24 hulls, and if there's anything I like to do, its build large ships to abuse the hell out of the systems...:)

My main problem, now, is being unable to print it out for the time being. I might do it at some point, but until then its going to be difficult to do the abusing--er, testing of the construction system...:)

jwpacker wrote:

And I look forward to Nomad's spreadsheet - the Drydock website is good for getting started, but not really my ideal tool. I like something I can use offline, and that calculates on the fly for me, rather than having all those submit buttons.

It does fulfil those two criteria!  Also it's up in the files section now.

Also minor administrative question: Cricket, is there going to be a separate Basin subforum for Nova / should I hold off posting ship designs tongue ?