Re: Starmada Nova Rulebook now available for pre-orders

murtalianconfederacy wrote:

True, and its not too big a problem. However, the table does stop at 24 hulls, and if there's anything I like to do, its build large ships to abuse the hell out of the systems...:)

My main problem, now, is being unable to print it out for the time being. I might do it at some point, but until then its going to be difficult to do the abusing--er, testing of the construction system...:)

Embarrassing admission: I noticed that the Drydock defaulted to a hull size of three, and scratched my head. Then I saw that the armor factors table started at hull size three as well, and started to get mad. What was he thinking? I used to build ridiculous little missile boats in size 1 and 2 hulls! He can't take those away from me!

And then I realized that, if you don't have at least three hull points, you don't have any boxes in Damaged or Crippled...

Nomad wrote:

Alas, poor Cloaking, though...

Poor cloaking... why?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
Nomad wrote:

Alas, poor Cloaking, though...

Poor cloaking... why?

It appears, unless I'm misreading things, that Cloaking no longer provides an element of hidden information.  This is quite saddening to me, since that was the best part.  I may investigate homebrewing a solution which both provides this and plays nicely with non-preplotted movement.

Nomad wrote:

It appears, unless I'm misreading things, that Cloaking no longer provides an element of hidden information.  This is quite saddening to me, since that was the best part.

This was not a game-balance decision, but a playability one. Without written movement orders -- or simultaneous movement -- as the "default", I thought it would be too hard to track where the cloaked ship had moved and/or give the cloaked ship too much of an advantage/disadvantage by moving first or last. (And I don't want any options to depend on any others -- i.e. "if you use cloaking, you have to use written movement".)

I'm open to tweaks that add a bit of the unknown back to cloaking... perhaps allowing a ship to move X number of hexes upon de-cloaking to simulate uncertainty over its "true" location?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
Nomad wrote:

It appears, unless I'm misreading things, that Cloaking no longer provides an element of hidden information.  This is quite saddening to me, since that was the best part.

This was not a game-balance decision, but a playability one. Without written movement orders -- or simultaneous movement -- as the "default", I thought it would be too hard to track where the cloaked ship had moved and/or give the cloaked ship too much of an advantage/disadvantage by moving first or last. (And I don't want any options to depend on any others -- i.e. "if you use cloaking, you have to use written movement".)

I'm open to tweaks that add a bit of the unknown back to cloaking... perhaps allowing a ship to move X number of hexes upon de-cloaking to simulate uncertainty over its "true" location?

Certainly; cloak in AE was ridiculously hard to keep track of.  The solution I had in mind (which I think someone proposed here at one point, but I can't find it...) was that upon cloaking, you replace the ship with three copies, each of which tracks movement and thrust separately, though they all move on the same activation.  While cloaked, none can fire, and they cannot be fired on.  Only one is the actual location of the ship; the copy number of written down separately when cloaking is activated.  When de-cloaking, reveal the number of the 'real' copy and remove the other two copies.  Resolving mine / asteroid damage would be tricky, though.

Nomad wrote:

Resolving mine / asteroid damage would be tricky, though.

Not really. Asteroids (particularly the cinematic asteroids) would likely void the cloak anyways. "Sir, sensors are picking up large energy spikes in the Hydapes belt, the signature matches that of deflection shields." "Weapons officer, target the location of those spikes and fire all weapons!"

Mines, same situation - depending on the trigger. There is still mass in that location.

And if the counter *isn't* your actual location, then perhaps the sensor 'ghost' obviously doesn't mesh with the incoming scans and can be discounted. "Sir, the sensors report a vessel in the Hydapes belt, but is not picking any energy spikes from deflection shields." "Ensign, ignore that signal and focus on the other two..." I.E. You remove the counter.

Alex Knight wrote:
Nomad wrote:

Resolving mine / asteroid damage would be tricky, though.

Not really. Asteroids (particularly the cinematic asteroids) would likely void the cloak anyways. "Sir, sensors are picking up large energy spikes in the Hydapes belt, the signature matches that of deflection shields." "Weapons officer, target the location of those spikes and fire all weapons!"

Mines, same situation - depending on the trigger. There is still mass in that location.

And if the counter *isn't* your actual location, then perhaps the sensor 'ghost' obviously doesn't mesh with the incoming scans and can be discounted. "Sir, the sensors report a vessel in the Hydapes belt, but is not picking any energy spikes from deflection shields." "Ensign, ignore that signal and focus on the other two..." I.E. You remove the counter.

Good solution!  Now we just need pricing tongue.

History repeats itself!

I can see the old headlines come around again.

"Mysterious rise in the sales of ping pong balls and black paint!" smile

"Sir, there are more of those black blips on sticks."
"Well Don't just stand there - Blast Them!"
"Must have been something cloaked, they just . . . melted away."

Paul

Pre-order customers, please take note... The ZIP file has been updated to version 1.0.

It can be downloaded here, with the username/password provided when you placed your order: http://zips.mj12games.com/mjg0130.zip

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Pre-order customers, please take note... The ZIP file has been updated to version 1.0.

It can be downloaded here, with the username/password provided when you placed your order: http://zips.mj12games.com/mjg0130.zip

Done. Since this is version 1.0, will you be posting a folder with counters/markers and other tidbits on the catalog page? I had thought they might be included at the end of the rules with the blank ship displays.
Cheers,
Erik

Blacklancer99 wrote:

will you be posting a folder with counters/markers and other tidbits on the catalog page? I had thought they might be included at the end of the rules with the blank ship displays.

Full-color counter sheets will be made available from the Starmada page.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
Blacklancer99 wrote:

will you be posting a folder with counters/markers and other tidbits on the catalog page? I had thought they might be included at the end of the rules with the blank ship displays.

Full-color counter sheets will be made available from the Starmada page.

Cool. Thanks. I am hoping to play a few little test games soon and I was hoping there would be official counters and markers rather than my chicken scratch on a card-stock square... "is that a zero or a six???"  smile
Cheers,
Erik

Awesome!  Gonna have to get some lead on the table now!

-Tim

cricket wrote:

Erm, I've tried various usernames/passwords, but I can't remember entering one at the time of order.  I paid by paypal, where abouts would I have entered a new username/password?

Is is possible to get the account reset?

diddimus wrote:

Sure, but I need your email addy.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

diddimus wrote:
cricket wrote:

Erm, I've tried various usernames/passwords, but I can't remember entering one at the time of order.  I paid by paypal, where abouts would I have entered a new username/password?

If it's remotely helpful, mine came in an email from "paypal@mj12games.com" with my email address as the account, and a wholly made up password of random numbers and letters and whatnot.

diddimus wrote:

I know it didn't accept my username unless I typed it in EXACTLY as it was in the e-mail. (I.E. my address @Yahoo.Com had to be like that. Couldn't go yahoo.com or Yahoo.com or yahoo.Com, it had to be Yahoo.Com)

I've had my password reset now. I'm guessing the original email was there somewhere.  Thanks for the advice though.

Just one thing, there still isn't a costing for converting the SAE Fighter-Exclusive trait. I'm guessing it would follow the non-piercing and starship-exclusive conversions and be a straight modifier to the BAS. Is it because it was a trait found in KLA/RA?

Just one thing, there still isn't a costing for converting the SAE Fighter-Exclusive trait. I'm guessing it would follow the non-piercing and starship-exclusive conversions and be a straight modifier to the BAS. Is it because it was a trait found in KLA/RA?

As discussed in other fora, I am not comfortable including "exclusive" traits for the time being. So when converting Fighter-Exclusive from SAE, multiply the BAS by x0.55 and apply the pinpoint Nova trait. When converting Starship-Exclusive, multiply the BAS by x0.70.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Oh, I know that, and my comment wasn't entirely clear--I meant that in the guidelines for converting SAE ships to SNE ships the 'Fighter-Exclusive' trait wasn't listed in the weapon conversion notes, whereas Starship-Exclusive was. I was wondering if this was an accidental or deliberate omission.

I was wondering if this was an accidental or deliberate omission.

Oh. :oops:

It was accidental on purpose... I only went through the Rulebook and Rules Annex when prepping the Conversions chapter.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Soooo...even more errata then? tongue

I thought that the KLA+ weapon traits were being saved for a later book.
Hellbore was not mentioned in the conversion either.

Paul

Oooh, I like Pinpoint.  Need to put that on me turrets.  Also that the Scout change is now rulebook-official, as opposed to just forum-official.  Thanks, Cricket!