Topic: Sports-themed gaming

Since the response to anything Grid-related is usually less than overwhelming, I thought I'd gauge the overall level of interest in sports-themed games... Not complaining, just wondering if I should expend any effort on such projects (beyond that necessary for my own enjoyment, of course... smile )

It's poll time!

Do you play sports-related games? If so, what kinds? If not, why not?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Sports-themed gaming

cricket wrote:

Well, my $0.02...

Any sports related games I have played consistently (on the computer or otherwise) have been League simulations, or the purpose of playing the single games was only to generate league (and those died the fastest).

When it comes to a game... go to one, watch it, go play. Reality is pretty well saturated here, IMHO.

But a league... managing the budget, grooming a player, drafting, trading,... that takes strategy and planning and time that I enjoy.
(But admittedly, hard to do solo with a table top approach).

So a quick system to generate play results - player stats, W/L, etc - that is complex enough that I can influence things with decisions out of the front office.

That is fun.

(The free Eastside hockey simulator has been the best in the computer realm for this but is more complex than it has to be, and doesn't easily allow custom league creation.)

kevinsmith67206 wrote:

> Do you play sports-related games? If so, what kinds? If not, why not?
> ==========
>
> I'll probably forget a few, but the following are the games I
> own or have played over the last 35 years.
>
> STRAT-O-MATIC
> Baseball
> Pro Football
> College Football
> Basketball
>
> STATIS PRO
> Pro Football
> Baseball
>
> APBA
> Pro Football
> Baseball
> Horse Racing
> Golf
> Basketball
>
> SPORTS ILLUSTRATED
> Pro Football
> College Football
>
> 3-M
> Thinking Man's Golf
> Speed Circuit
> Horse Racing
> Blue Line Hockey
> Regatta
>
> GAMES WORKSHOP
> Blood Bowl (of course, and all three editions)
>
> MISCELLANEOUS
> Numerous other car racing games
> Numerous other baseball, football, and basketball games
>
> SENTIMENTAL FAVORITES
> Formula-1 (Parker Brothers, 4 copies)
> The Stupid Racing Game (otherwise known as Powersled Circuit)

So, I'll put Kevin down as a "yes". smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

none...

League play is too much like campaign play for my taste.  Takes too long.

Taltos wrote:
cricket wrote:

But a league... managing the budget, grooming a player, drafting, trading,... that takes strategy and planning and time that I enjoy.
(But admittedly, hard to do solo with a table top approach).

So a quick system to generate play results - player stats, W/L, etc - that is complex enough that I can influence things with decisions out of the front office.

Agreed. A later poster complains that most league games take too long. That is true. But many sports games take as long or longer than the real game! If it was a league season, and fast enough that you could play out a game say in 30 minutes, that might work. Way back when I posted on Yahoo some rules for a soccer league card+board game that was intended to meet these goals.

Oh, and to answer Dan: yes.

Totally non Sports-Oriented.

Superheroes, Grav Tanks, Giant Robots, Monsters - no sports....

I also don't paint myself blue and wear a cheese-wedge-shaped hat in sub-frezzing temperatures, Nor do I consume beer from cans in a specially-built hat.

Now a game oriented around Fandom....

That might be something else smile

thedugan wrote:

I also don't paint myself blue and wear a cheese-wedge-shaped hat in sub-frezzing temperatures, Nor do I consume beer from cans in a specially-built hat.

But you should... Consuming beer from a cool hat might be one of the top ten things one should do before death (painted blue while doing it is optional)...

Seriously thought.  I do like sport games, but the major problem that I find is that I want to see some type of league play (players advancement and the like a major plus) which is what 'most' sport seasons are about. The biggest problem is keeping people interested in a game for months is rough to say the least.

'Sport' Games I played and enjoyed :
Formula De
Thinking man's Golf
Blood Bowl
Subbuteo
Speed Circuit

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
-Bren

Well, since the main reason I'd want to design a sports game is for the season/"campaign" aspects, it would appear that a consensus is growing.

(VBAM: Football, anyone? smile )

So -- I've got a couple ideas for relatively quick-playing sports games that could serve as the basis for franchise play.

Details soon...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Well, since the main reason I'd want to design a sports game is for the season/"campaign" aspects, it would appear that a consensus is growing.

(VBAM: Football, anyone? smile )

So -- I've got a couple ideas for relatively quick-playing sports games that could serve as the basis for franchise play.

Details soon...

What exaclty constitutes a 'sport'?

I'm not much into the traditional sports or their derivatives...

But I've always had a bit of an interest for 'Combat Biker' as detailed in FASA's Shadowrun RPG. 

smile

JP

Well, I've been thinking more and more about the "franchise game", and on a parallel track I've been working again on my baseball game -- for somewhat obvious reasons... (Go White Sox!)

I think I've gotten the "tactical" game to a workable stage, and I thought of an excellent idea (at least to me... smile ) for the "strategic" level.

Basically, we'd run a league, in which you could draft ANY PLAYER from ANY ERA of major league baseball. I've worked out a system where the average player's stats from a given year are adjusted to match the average player from 2000-2004, and then all the players in that given year are modified accordingly (for example, in real life, Babe Ruth hit 54 home runs in 1920 -- adjusted to a 162-game schedule with modern stats, he would hit 85).

Here's the fun part -- when a player is drafted, he begins with the capabilities of his rookie year. Then, at the end of each year, his performance "shifts" randomly; for example:

Roll -- Effect
1 -- Back one year
2 -- Stays the same
3 -- Ahead one year
4 -- Ahead one year
5 -- Ahead two years
6 -- Ahead three years

Thus, if we roll a 5 for the Babe, in the next season he would perform as he did in 1922, skipping 1921's performance entirely. If at the end of the next season we rolled a 1, then he would shift to 1921's performance.

In this way, while you have a general idea of how a player will perform over the course of his career, and on average he'll last as long as he did in real life, from year to year his impact will be unknown.

In the absence of "create your own player" rules (which could be done, as well), I think this would be an excellent way to move from season to season...

Also, at the end of each season, several more historical players would become available, again each at his rookie level of play.

Does this even remotely spark anyone's interest?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

jimbeau wrote:

Now a game oriented around Fandom....

That might be something else smile

THAT could be a card game.

Player with most fan-boy points wins.....

One point for 'cheered till you're hoarse' card.

One point for each card you draw 'bodypaint' cards for - you cannot draw more than 6 - one for each limb, one for torso, one for head/face.

One point for Mundane headgear like a ballcap, two points for weird stuff like the cheeseheads or giant foam antlers - three points for a gigantic prop that also contains a beverage.

Four points if you create your own fan-props, like SMU's 'Bleacher Creature', or that guy that dresses up like a cowboy for all of Dallas's home games.

Loose a point for each 'bathroom trip' card.

Loose 2 points for each 'barfed' card

Loose three points for each 'barfed on this other guy's kid' card.

cricket wrote:

Does this even remotely spark anyone's interest?

It has potential... but also opens the door for everyone to argue about eras and whether a player's skills would translate....

Could be a lot of fun

Taltos wrote:

It has potential... but also opens the door for everyone to argue about eras and whether a player's skills would translate....

Well, I could post the formulae I'm using to "convert" stats from era to era... but then the entire membership of this group would probably desert... smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Moving this topic to "Game Design", since it appears we're leaving The Grid in the dust... smile

rkhigdon wrote:

> Well, I have a lot of thoughts.
>
> First, I love baseball games.  It's fantastic that you have a
> workable game.  That being said, it will have to be pretty
> good to compete with the plethora of excellent game already
> available. 
> Replay, APBA, Strat O Matic, Pursue the Penant, Statis Pro,
> and Extra Innings already compete for my Baseball play time.

That's why I'm going for the "players from all eras" angle... something a bit different when compared to the other entries in the genre.

But I also think that what we've got is pretty competitive in its own right.

> Second, I want a sports franchise type game.  I'm just not
> sure that Baseball is the right sport for it.

Well, okay then.

The obvious question at this point is:

Let's assume we decide we want to try a "franchise" game, where the main focus of the game is in-between "matches" and the off-season. Does it even MATTER what "sport" is being simulated?

i.e., would it suffice to give players offensive and defensive ratings and then use these to determine who wins/loses a given match?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

rkhigdon wrote:

> Are these formulas of your own design, or formulas from (for
> eaxample) a Sabremetric-style source.  If they're your own
> I'd love to see them.

Obviously, I didn't come up with the idea -- there are many people who have tried the "cross-era" approach. But the formulae are all mine.

I may share them with you off-list... no sense scaring away the math-phobics. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Let's assume we decide we want to try a "franchise" game, where the main focus of the game is in-between "matches" and the off-season. Does it even MATTER what "sport" is being simulated?

i.e., would it suffice to give players offensive and defensive ratings and then use these to determine who wins/loses a given match?

I have gone this route on my own before, as you know, and it may be safest, cause you can avoid people looking for perfection for the favorite sport or avoiding it cause it isn't a sport they play.

On the other hand, you lose interest from determined fans of a given game.

But... I would think that a franchise has certain things that translate across leagues and sports. If the core model were solid enough you could go the route of writing optional rules for a given sport.

Taltos wrote:

I have gone this route on my own before, as you know, and it may be safest, cause you can avoid people looking for perfection for the favorite sport or avoiding it cause it isn't a sport they play.

Yup. Working on a reply to your e-mail right now... smile

Anyway, I think the general nature of the sport being simulated should be specified, even if in the end it doesn't matter. Thus, our 'league' might be a version of soccer, baseball, or whatever, in order to give it flavor. But I agree with those who have suggested that it should be possible to resolve a season in a single gaming session.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com