Topic: Any ETA on the next revision of For The Masses?

Andrew Brian Gross wrote:

>
> Subject pretty much says it all...

I dunno... Jim? Noel?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Any ETA on the next revision of For The Masses?

In fact we had a conversation about that just the other day.

We are close.

How close is up for debate, and depends upon some solid playtesting.

I won't try to lead you on.

1) What with 2005 being the year of the WWI Air combat in Jim-land and the year of Noel-being-out-of-the-US-more-than-he's-in-the-US I've put it on a back burner.

2) I didn't know if there was anybody out there actually interested in a second edition.  This pretty much says to me "yes" there is.

That all said, I feel like we can nail down the new edition in just a few months (give it the 6-12 range). But I don't want to commit.

Please, anyone who has suggestions send them on to me or Noel, and we'll take them into consideration as we determine how hard to work on this.

There's a lot more to it than that, and I'll bore you all with the details if you want, but I don't think you want that. So... that's an honest "I dunno" from me.  But I'm thinking about it.

So, how's the progress?

You know we're very close, about 6-12 months

No, seriously, we need to be play testing of the current system and I'd like to see about 2-3 more races/kingdoms.

Points system is also in great need of an upgrade.

All these things are dependent on initiative and playtesting time we can devote to it.

arg I wish I had better news sad

I wish to help, it's possible?

You could come up with original races

anyone can do that.

Um, and I would really really appreciate it smile

What exactly would you look for, when it comes to new races?

Well, what do I look for?

I personally like things well-thought out, bowing to tradition without being stifled by it, originality, long walks in the rain, soft ice cream...wait, um...

You get the idea, though, almost anything goes, as long as it isn't a rehash of the same old Orc/Elf/Dwarf/Human business.

I am most inspired by the passage in the Orc description that reads:

There exists a common misconception that orcs are foul, mindless brutes that care nothing for the beautiful or gentle things of the world. On the contrary, orcs are foul brutes that care nothing for the beautiful or gentle things of the world. Mindless they are not.

Kind of defines how I feel about race in FtM.

Well, this open the game for some questione.

Doing a new race is pointless if there no miniature to game with. I mean, "classics" race have many miniature, a totally original race not.

So let focus on a "classics" race.

In your rules you examine Boreal (Barbarians), Averland (Knightly), Wood Elves (well... Wood Elves), Orc (brute with cunning), Sprite (evil faerye).

Ok, I can see that there is a big yet short hole, the beardy little one, there are no trace of dwarf.

If you wish I can try to fill this gap, I'll brainstorming a little and let you know what's came out.

I was thinking of doing an amazon-type thing, though based a little more on the Herodotus version. More emphasis on horsewomanship and horse archery than the usual depiction of the screaming berxerker charge.

Doing a new race is pointless if there no miniature to game with. I mean, "classics" race have many miniature, a totally original race not.

Sir, I beg to differ smile

One tenet we've held true to (in spite of my cockamamie schemes) is that FtM is not tied to any particular line of miniatures, you can use whatever you like. Use legos if you want smile Or, different colored poof-balls.

My eldest son Devin built an entire army of ninjas! Inspired by the ninjas you get out of the gumball machine.
see:
http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=ShoppingBagDisplay.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&sku=39/1170

We do have a fine write up of Dwarves already. Sorry, but you're welcome to try some other race:

an excerpt:

Anyone that meets them generally regards Dwarves as a considerate, polite, and cleanly race. Learned scholars who have corresponded with their Dwarven counterparts claim this is due to the nature of their underground existence and its close quarters. This habit of living has produced a high level of considerate attention to their fellows and desire to keep their halls free from clutter and grime. This grants the dwarves an intrinsic air of sophistication and careful manners when dealing with races that dwell above ground and away from these conditions. Unfortunately, this also makes the Dwarves somewhat sensitive to perceived slights according to their social rules and perhaps a bit gruff when they are put off by “rudeness”. This can lead to unfortunate social and political disturbances, thankfully of usually short duration.

so you see, I think it bows to tradition without being driven by it.

However, let the creative juices flow and come up with something, anything!

The races we have in FtM 2.0 as they stand are:

Alvernan (knightly medieval types)
Boreal (Northern Barbarians)
Azwetan (like zulus)
Dwarves (well, they're short and polite)
Wood Elves (you know...)
Grimmpule (Nasty little creatures. ick)
Haedun (Animal people)
Laxud (craaaazy lizards)
Orcs (grrr)
Man Orcs (Half-orc types)
Saxid (trading lizards)

Fill any Hole you wish.

Wow, there are much more race than I figured.

Uhm, I feel there are some arabian nights to fill... if you agree I can try an arabian style army, with Sphinx, magic carpet, camel trophy... erg, camel troop.

Let me know.

That is one thing I never thought of!

Sphinxes!

ooh I'm all aquiver...

Zerloon wrote:

Wow, there are much more race than I figured.

Uhm, I feel there are some arabian nights to fill... if you agree I can try an arabian style army, with Sphinx, magic carpet, camel trophy... erg, camel troop.

Let me know.

That sounds good!
Note, the Saxid are actually a desert lizard race so they'd have a foe with Arabian Nights types. cool.

Look up 'Hordes Of the Things', and you'll find (eventually) a lot of different 'army lists' - that ought to give someone an idea or two....

Ok, so I'll go for the Thesian Princes, a conglomerate of city states... well, I'll write much tomorrow.

thedugan wrote:

Look up 'Hordes Of the Things', and you'll find (eventually) a lot of different 'army lists' - that ought to give someone an idea or two....

I'd like to avoid any obvious reference to HOtT for obvious reasons

jimbeau wrote:

Obviously

jimbeau wrote:
thedugan wrote:

I'm not saying steal exact text from copyrighted material, nor take an ideal whole cloth from somewhere else.

What I'm saying is that the players have come up with all kinds of non-copyrighted materials that are inspirational enough to suggest new and novel things to think of as 'armies'.

This genre of game is so cross-linked, ANYTHING that anyone comes up with is d***ed near impossible not have come up elsewhere. The difference is in combining ideological elements in an imaginative way.

You, Jim, are the filter - if something is too close to something that you feel is copyrighted, you veto it - and explain why. There's Babylon 5 fan generated stuff for Starmada, as well as Trek, and others....

Coming up with something that NO ONE has ever seen elsewhere is difficult at best.

One such place to see lists is here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine/wargames/listlist.htm

There are 28 entries under "A" alone...."Q" is the only letter under which there are no entries.

The mechanics for HOtT are like unto DBA, and as such, aren't compatible  with FtM. Copyrights are hardly a concern, unless you use some prose lifted from the book about an army in the game.

thedugan wrote:

What I'm saying is that the players have come up with all kinds of non-copyrighted materials that are inspirational enough to suggest new and novel things to think of as 'armies'.

What I'm saying is that we have our own players and they're damned creative.

thedugan wrote:

This genre of game is so cross-linked, ANYTHING that anyone comes up with is d***ed near impossible not have come up elsewhere. The difference is in combining ideological elements in an imaginative way.

Exactly.  I would rather see Intelligent, trade-oriented orc races than brutish ugly orc races.

thedugan wrote:

You, Jim, are the filter - if something is too close to something that you feel is copyrighted, you veto it - and explain why. There's Babylon 5 fan generated stuff for Starmada, as well as Trek, and others....

Noel, too, is the filter. I can't sneak anything past him, durnit.

thedugan wrote:

Coming up with something that NO ONE has ever seen elsewhere is difficult at best.

Don't care how hard it is, mister, excuses won't work in this man's army!

er, um... you know what I mean big_smile

thedugan wrote:

One such place to see lists is here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine/wargames/listlist.htm

There are 28 entries under "A" alone...."Q" is the only letter under which there are no entries.

So much for creative players.

Where the Qabal army? huh? where is it? Jeesh.

thedugan wrote:

The mechanics for HOtT are like unto DBA, and as such, aren't compatible  with FtM.

Not entirely true I can forward the conversion scheme I built a couple of years ago if anyone wants it smile

Just to say I'm working, there is a world full of lion body here.  8)

no pressure atl all, if you finish something, we may have to get off our butts and actually DO something smile

Hey I was interested in the rules and since a new version is coming out should i wait? also for those who don't have the rules what races do you have included? I like the idea of races based loosely based on history ,Mongols/huns ,greeks ,romans,carthaginians ,arabs (arabian nights sounds so cool)gallic warband,norse/viking,indian,chinese of any kind,egyptian ,assyrian,zulu also cool.Also some aliens of some kind (bugs ) lizards,Atlatean etc etc etc. Thanks for the help. Patrick