Re: How about a new mech game

Justin Crough wrote:

In that respect, this Star-mecha game is starting out in a similar fashion.
I was having a bit of deja vu , is all.

Gotcha. You are correct. I just wanted to point out that the AC stuff is "new", and not a mod of Starmada.

Well, its just that before I had a playable version, then it seems Iwas
being hounded by people who wanted to play it, relentlessly, and
then....crickets.

Welcome to the happy go-lucky world of game design. smile

No pun intended.

Heh.

Well...it really is almost done...as far as my part is concerned.  Within
the next couple weeks I'll be presenting it to my company commander.
Apparently he's an old wargamer, with a fairly sizeable set of microarmor,
which I only discovered recently. I've managed to convince him to try it out
sometime soon.  His verdict and suggestions will mean a lot to me.

I can't WAIT to hear how that playtest goes. smile

As per Kevin's suggestion, I'd suggest Star Mecha focus on the detail of
piloting and running a big mech, or a few of them.  This is something AC
doesn't focus on, in favor of being able to pit several dozen per side, plus
light vehicle, fast air and infantry support.

I think it'll be just fine if they stick with where they are headed. After all, Starmada really can't run as many elements as AC can at one time (unless you count fighter flights).

I still say there's room for both (and my soon-to-be-renamed Warlords of Dimension X project... smile).

Might I suggest we move the conversation about AC back where it belongs and let these fine gentlemen get on with their Starmecha thing?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Justin,

I don't think you have anything to worry about mate.  smile   Looking over the playtest package in brief I can already see we're at opposite ends of the spectrum for similar genre.

AC is a LOT more detailed than what Star-Mecha will ever try to attain and will likely appeal strongly to the micro-armor type/ detail oriented group.  The sense of scale I'm seeing looks like AC runs more in the levels of battalions up.
While SM can probably function at battalion level...it's gonna become very hard to run due to trying to track individual mecha, armored vehicles, and the infantry....none of which are really set up as cohesive units.  And it's set to be as non-detailed as I can make it without losing all genre context.  :wink:

Should be plenty of a crowd out there for both as Dan says. big_smile

Alright...thinking out loud time (ignores all the groans and dodges the rotten tomatoes...*THUNK* #&*^!  who threw the pumpkin?!?) lol

ahem...pilot/ gunner skills.  Primarily for campaign play with units.

I'm thinking of a five level division. The five levels being (no surprise)
Green...Regular...Veteran...Elite...and Legendary.

Okay...nothing special there.  However, these are going to have a graduating improvement path based on kills made.  Breakdown as follows:

Green Pilot.  Initial Pilot (Stability) Mod.: -2   Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: -2
Improve one skill with 2 kills.  8 kills moves Pilot to next level.

Regular Pilot.  Initial Pilot (Stability) Mod.:+0   Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: +0
Improve one skill with 3 kills. +12 kills moves Pilot to next level.

Veteran Pilot.  Initial Pilot (Stability) Mod.: +2  Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: +2
Improve one skill with 4 kills.  +16 kills moves Pilot to next level.

Elite Pilot.  Initial Pilot (Stability) Mod.: +4   Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: +4
Improve one skill with 5 kills   +10 kills moves Pilot to next level.

Legendary Pilot.  Pilot (Stability) Mod.: +5   Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: +5

This could apply to armored vehicle crews, naval units, aircraft, and infantry squads as well.

Comments? :idea:

Wow, I go to pick up the wife and kids, go to the Wednesday evening church meeting - and look what happened!
:-)

Justin Crough wrote:

Okay, i've got to say it.
Has anyone posting here even looked at Assault Corps lately?

I realize different is different, and there is no monopoly on company-sized armored/ mecha wargaming, but for pete's sake, AC is NEARLY done...after more than 4 years of development.

Yes, I looked at it after seeing this initial post, but had to leave and do a few things (as stated above)....

AC is different, it's a whole level of abstraction closer to reality.

I see this as a streamlined replacement for Battletech - and as such a primarily 'beer and pretzels' type of game. Hopefully, it won't get too complicated and add stuff up to the preposterous levels that FASA did for Battletech...

Justin Crough wrote:

Please, someone just tell me if there is 0 interest, and i'll put it out of its misery, at least for my part, and move on....JP

Judging from the response I read here, I'd say there was interest - it's just not a Battletech B&P game. I'm very much into the a 'couple of pages of rules, a few examples, let's go!' types of rulesets.

BUTT-Simple base mechanics, understandable in under a page is the goal.
I occasionally have to go "read that section again" to review how Starmada and Iron Stars are done to get things right. I can't keep all that in my head as easily as I did back in my Navy days, what with the kids, the wife, the dog, the car, the house, the job, rotating shifts weekly....

See where I'm headed? :-)

Armor Corps seems like an honest-to-gosh wargame, something I've not played since I stopped playing Afrika Corps, and Star Fleet Battles came out with those three big boxes... It's simply not my cup of tea any more.

cricket wrote:

Should I mention how many of MJ12's games were playtested to any significant degree by anyone outside the designer and his immediate circle?

I know Kevin's response to this...

cricket wrote:

A quick look at the forum stats puts the AC board just behind Starmada, Defiance, and Iron Stars; I'd say that qualifies as "interest" (much more so than a published game like, oh, I dunno, The Grid. smile )
So -- consider this an official request to keep working on AC.

Certain game concepts are a hard sell.

I just happen to get goosebumps whenever I see certain scenes from certain shows containing giant robots....:-)

I know it's silly, I still like it.....

cricket wrote:

At the same time, please continue the Starmecha thing as well... no reason to squelch one for the other. Frankly, there's been too much of the "Hey, why don't we use X to do Y?" lately ... half the fun of gaming is whipping up (and reading) new sets of mechanics. How many of us reguarly play more than a fraction of the games we own?

I don't think that I've played in as many game sessions as I have games.

I have WARMACHINE, and it's sorta cool. I don't ever see playing it. I know no one that's interested in it and I can't see spending all that money on 'official' minis, when I'm a stone's throw from making my own.

I have many games I bought because at a cursory glance, they looked sorta cool. I have some games for 'completeness' - I have literally hundreds of 'demo' games on my hard drive that I've only just glanced at....honestly, most are crap, but some are gems that were released when they failed to meet the sales goal.

cricket wrote:

Besides, if I said one of you has to stop 'cause we can't have two somewhat similar games, Iron Stars would have ended up a Starmada clone. And Demian would have seen Defiance/Starslayer reduced to an ARES sci-fi mod.

Exactly

Armor Corps is not Starmecha/APE Corps...they are two different levels of abstraction, aimed at different ends.

cricket wrote:

What I would suggest, however, is that the Starmecha crowd give some serious thought to 'flavor' -- AC is very deliberately a generic game and would not benefit from such (just like Starmada or ARES). But other games (like Iron Stars or Defiance) can benefit a great deal from a solid background.

Why do I get the idea I'm shifting from 'the Art Guy' to 'the Content Guy'?

..crap, I still need to work on those maps....

Go0gleplex wrote:

I can go either road with the background, though I'll probably need some kick starting type feedback to keep my brain running in that direction.

Hmm..a few possibilities to justify mecha....

- Robotech style 'we found this tech, we're obviously going to get invaded by aliens, so lets make some walking machines to fight them in!' ...no?

- An extension of modern wargear, infantry needs to carry more stuff (Heavy Gear)

- We've got few men, the bad guys have a lot of guns, so we have to arm our guys better (Pat Labor)

- Men are expensive, so we have to protect them as best we can

- tech is laughably cheap, everyone who's anyone has this stuff, only the lower castes actually do infantry...(Battletech Clans)

Setting ideas, some may not work with the above justifications....

- Earth in the future

- Alternate Earth, in the future

- Federation/Trek

Okay, I'm out, those were so horrid...hopefully, I'll think of some better stuff tomorrow, after I've slept on it.

You do know that this has occupied my attention so badly, that I've put off ANOTHER project I'm working on?

Mecha games are like gamer crack for me, AUUGGHHH...

Go0gleplex wrote:

This was definitely a "HEY! I GOT AN IDEA! wonder if this works...>scribble scribble scribble<"  Like my draft says...since Star-Mecha flows so much from the IS and Starmada type mechanics...IMO it already belongs to MJXII and if it sees no distribution beyond posts my feelings aren't going to be damaged any.  big_smile   It's just the mini-making and writing are the only form of gaming I get to indulge in. *sigh*

Don't feel bad Justin...at least you get to play your game. *wry smile*  I've not been able to play much of anything since I moved here 5 years back. (think retired surfer/ flower child population with the tactical ability of a banana...come to think of it...the banana could probably kick their butts too. :shock: )  *L*

That's just sad...we're both in very similiar straits then.

Might I suggest that we at least get to the point of doing a PDF for this? Then, Dan can decide whether it's worth the drive space to try and hawk it through the brand-new MJ12 store.....

Who knows, maybe it'll sell some of those weird looking Brigade Mecha minis? I need sleep, I'm starting to mispell things....

Go0gleplex wrote:

Pilot/ gunner skills.  Primarily for campaign play with units.

I'm thinking of a five level division. The five levels being (no surprise)
Green...Regular...Veteran...Elite...and Legendary.

Green, Regular, Veteran, Crack, Elite.....?

Go0gleplex wrote:

Okay...nothing special there.  However, these are going to have a graduating improvement path based on kills made.  Breakdown as follows:

Green Pilot.  Initial Pilot (Stability) Mod.: -2   Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: -2
Improve one skill with 2 kills.  8 kills moves Pilot to next level.

Regular Pilot.  Initial Pilot (Stability) Mod.:+0   Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: +0
Improve one skill with 3 kills. +12 kills moves Pilot to next level.

Veteran Pilot.  Initial Pilot (Stability) Mod.: +2  Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: +2
Improve one skill with 4 kills.  +16 kills moves Pilot to next level.

Elite Pilot.  Initial Pilot (Stability) Mod.: +4   Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: +4
Improve one skill with 5 kills   +10 kills moves Pilot to next level.

Legendary Pilot.  Pilot (Stability) Mod.: +5   Gunner (To Hit) Mod.: +5

This could apply to armored vehicle crews, naval units, aircraft, and infantry squads as well.

Comments? :idea:

Alright for now....add it in....

I had originally had in mind a basic nation vs nation, look we got fancy toys. Let's see who's got the biggest guns.  :shock:

Or a nation vs nation/ colony type background.  Earth got over crowded so off they went into the stars and settled a couple planets...but human nature being what it is, power hungry individuals sprung up throughout these colonies.  Inevitably, war broke out wherever humanity had set down roots.  Some fight for domination. Others resist in the name of freedom.  Still others fight for survival against forces beyond the ken of the minds of men... :!:

I'm leaning more with the nation vs nation as the base...and leave the option open for the other by including hostile environment rules.  There's plenty of real estate here on earth to plow with bullets and particle guns...though the moon will be included in the battlefield possibilities.

This will mean less that actually has to be created to provide a background and provide plenty of combatant parties.

And yes.  I'm going to try to keep this simple as possible. (backroom over beer n pretzels...even if I don't drink. *chuckle*)

And yes again.  I'll get this to a "complete", maybe needing some editting, stage electronic document...though I admit to being PDF challenged.  :oops:  lol

I just happen to get goosebumps whenever I see certain scenes from certain shows containing giant robots....:-)

I love the idea of MJ12 producing individual mecha miniature pieces that can be combined to play Mechamada (one can dream can't they).

I have WARMACHINE, and it's sorta cool. I don't ever see playing it. I know no one that's interested in it and I can't see spending all that money on 'official' minis, when I'm a stone's throw from making my own.

That's the only game that I am playing at the moment.  Stupid way of spending hundreds of dollars since I'm a 15mm fan, but these days, if the game remotely interests me and there are players available, I'm all over it.

Armor Corps is not Starmecha/APE Corps...they are two different levels of abstraction, aimed at different ends.

I like the idea of both games.  One of my first games was Battletech and insanely sized mecha running about killing everything will hold a big soft spot in my heart (maybe that's why I do like Warmachine so much).  The fact that Mechamada can run small skirmish mecha battles (which I love) and Assualt Corps can run large mecha battles (which I also love) definitely means both should be worked on (I just wish I had more time to do playtesting but I can't ever find a second player at the moment).

-Bren

Go0gleplex wrote:

I had originally had in mind a basic nation vs nation, look we got fancy toys. Let's see who's got the biggest guns.

Well, that's almost any wargame..  smile

Go0gleplex wrote:

Or a nation vs nation/ colony type background.  Earth got over crowded so off they went into the stars and settled a couple planets...but human nature being what it is, power hungry individuals sprung up throughout these colonies.  Inevitably, war broke out wherever humanity had set down roots.  Some fight for domination. Others resist in the name of freedom.  Still others fight for survival against forces beyond the ken of the minds of men...

I'm leaning more with the nation vs nation as the base...and leave the option open for the other by including hostile environment rules.  There's plenty of real estate here on earth to plow with bullets and particle guns...though the moon will be included in the battlefield possibilities.

This will mean less that actually has to be created to provide a background and provide plenty of combatant parties.

I have something I might be able to use, I just have to get someone's permission. It's basically a colonial setup with some aliens.

If we don't get it, we can come up with something.

If you've got some ideas, post 'em...for the nation vs nation idea, I'd go with a 'this world with the serial numbers filed off approach' - familiar enough to the gamer, but without the historical baggage to get called on.

Go0gleplex wrote:

And yes.  I'm going to try to keep this simple as possible. (backroom over beer n pretzels...even if I don't drink. *chuckle*)

And yes again.  I'll get this to a "complete", maybe needing some editting, stage electronic document...though I admit to being PDF challenged.

I only drink occasionally myself - my days of hard drinking with my shipmates stopped before I ran out of wargamers.

I can do the RTF -> PDF translation, but if you go download the latest version of Open Office, that will do it. It's what I use, though I've got other ways to do it too....

Generic world, eh?  Hmm...yeah. Could do that...just pick a fictional planet out wherever that was widely colonized.  Several settlements banded together into a few different power blocks....while a couple big corporations also began to assert their own influence over planetary politics for control of resources.  Of course some of the blocks resist this and scattered warfare broke out for control of territories and the resources therein.

Fairly generic in concept and again, provides plenty of opponents.  My personal favorite is the Ares Corporation of Mars.  Supplying the more violent and least ethical of the competing power blocks. War is profit...let there be war. :twisted:

jygro wrote:

I love the idea of MJ12 producing individual mecha miniature pieces that can be combined to play Mechamada (one can dream can't they).

I'd love to do that. I've been trying to learn the technology behind it, but anything I'm going to do is years away. I'm not mj12, but I think that Dan has a line on at least 2 mini's companies. 

That's the only game that I am playing at the moment.  Stupid way of spending hundreds of dollars since I'm a 15mm fan, but these days, if the game remotely interests me and there are players available, I'm all over it.

That was me - twenty years ago.....

I like the idea of both games.  One of my first games was Battletech and insanely sized mecha running about killing everything will hold a big soft spot in my heart (maybe that's why I do like Warmachine so much).  The fact that Mechamada can run small skirmish mecha battles (which I love) and Assualt Corps can run large mecha battles (which I also love) definitely means both should be worked on (I just wish I had more time to do playtesting but I can't ever find a second player at the moment).
-Bren

yep....

Go0gleplex wrote:

Generic world, eh?  Hmm...yeah. Could do that...just pick a fictional planet out wherever that was widely colonized.  Several settlements banded together into a few different power blocks....while a couple big corporations also began to assert their own influence over planetary politics for control of resources.  Of course some of the blocks resist this and scattered warfare broke out for control of territories and the resources therein.

Fairly generic in concept and again, provides plenty of opponents.  My personal favorite is the Ares Corporation of Mars.  Supplying the more violent and least ethical of the competing power blocks. War is profit...let there be war. :twisted:

Hmmm...

Let me write something up along these lines....

thedugan wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote:

Hmmm...

Let me write something up along these lines....

Be my guest mate!  big_smile

Well, I got the ok, so assuming you're okay with using this as a 'prequel' to something else I'm cooking up, here's the first page....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man is the most adaptive creature in the Heavens...

Earth had remained the same for nearly seven millenia before  we left our cradle. The advent of the 'Space Age' should have been called the 'Aeronautical Age', as man stayed anchored to his birthplace for almost a full millenium before he had grown enough in knowledge to leave his ancestral home. While it's true that man had built orbital facilities in the decades that followed, they were still dependent on constant resupply from Earth. The failure of almost any system aboard those facilities meant, as often as not, evacuation - and periodically death to those aboard.

In AD 2937, man finally developed the tools to enable him to travel to other stars in less than a single lifetime.

The news of FTL travel reached all of mankind in less than a day. Planetary news and computer networks had been in place for centuries, so if you were isolated from knowledge, it was your decision to be isolated.

Mankind had been on the verge of such a thing for centuries, but the level of control of the minutae of nuclear-level structures had evaded him. Slipping from one dimension to the next needed a level of control that was several orders of magnitude more energy-intensive than anything he had attempted before. The two century long persuit of fusion power was child's play.

Man has always been his own worst enemy...

While some had pursued the dream of moving to other worlds circling other stars, some pursued the goal of fuedal knights - to create armor that no weapon could penetrate.

The creators of Powered Armor were trying to offset the staggering losses in war. Even 'limited wars' that had been the norm since the advent of the atomic bomb tended to use up a lot of people. Earth had been steadily loosing population since most of the world had joined America and western Europe in economic status. Money and education had a tendency to reduce the drive to procreate. There was no need to raise a dozen children to help on the farm if the farm machines only needed minimal programming and attention.

Rather than try to minimize war, those that wanted power decided to make it less difficult (for them, not the soldiers) to wage.

Japan was among the first to use them in the battlefield, as an engineering recovery vehicle. After a few incidents, the impromptu addition of some body armor panels and weapons gave them a fairly effective (if expensive and short-ranged) powered armor for use in dangerous situations.

It was a slightly improved model that lifted with the expedition to Wayside, the first of the Terra-settled worlds.

thedugan wrote:

Well, I got the ok, so assuming you're okay with using this as a 'prequel' to something else I'm cooking up, here's the first page....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man is the most adaptive creature in the Heavens...

Earth had remained the same for nearly seven millenia before  we left our cradle. The advent of the 'Space Age' should have been called the 'Aeronautical Age', as man stayed anchored to his birthplace for almost a full millenium before he had grown enough in knowledge to leave his ancestral home. While it's true that man had built orbital facilities in the decades that followed, they were still dependent on constant resupply from Earth. The failure of almost any system aboard those facilities meant, as often as not, evacuation - and periodically death to those aboard.

In AD 2937, man finally developed the tools to enable him to travel to other stars in less than a single lifetime.

The news of FTL travel reached all of mankind in less than a day. Planetary news and computer networks had been in place for centuries, so if you were isolated from knowledge, it was your decision to be isolated.

Mankind had been on the verge of such a thing for centuries, but the level of control of the minutae of nuclear-level structures had evaded him. Slipping from one dimension to the next needed a level of control that was several orders of magnitude more energy-intensive than anything he had attempted before. The two century long persuit of fusion power was child's play.

Man has always been his own worst enemy...

While some had pursued the dream of moving to other worlds circling other stars, some pursued the goal of fuedal knights - to create armor that no weapon could penetrate.

The creators of Powered Armor were trying to offset the staggering losses in war. Even 'limited wars' that had been the norm since the advent of the atomic bomb tended to use up a lot of people. Earth had been steadily loosing population since most of the world had joined America and western Europe in economic status. Money and education had a tendency to reduce the drive to procreate. There was no need to raise a dozen children to help on the farm if the farm machines only needed minimal programming and attention.

Rather than try to minimize war, those that wanted power decided to make it less difficult (for them, not the soldiers) to wage.

Japan was among the first to use them in the battlefield, as an engineering recovery vehicle. After a few incidents, the impromptu addition of some body armor panels and weapons gave them a fairly effective (if expensive and short-ranged) powered armor for use in dangerous situations.

It was a slightly improved model that lifted with the expedition to Wayside, the first of the Terra-settled worlds.

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

That does set things up nicely...

I have done a couple of attempts at using STARMADA as a core for creating a Mecha-combat engine. The problem is that each time it feels *too much* like STARMADA-converted-to-Mecha-Combat.

I have a couple of ideas on how to make it feel unique and still use the wonderfully solid core that Starmada has to offer. I will keep you all posted if anything develops.

...and I've more. :-)
I'm borrowing some items from my other project, but I think everyone will like what I have in mine (provided I pull it off in a reasonable time frame).

I've got that Robotech theme song, here....

http://www.geocities.com/thedugan/robotech.wav
(706 kb)

..and (after a few small changes) here's some territory to fight over...
http://www.geocities.com/thedugan/APE/Map-PreWar.jpg
(446 kb)

I'm pondering story additions, I'll post some more in a bit...Be gentle, my geocities bandwidth allotment will likely groan under the load.   :-)

Yikes! that was some big map, here's the zip file smile

jimbeau wrote:

Yikes! that was some big map, here's the zip file smile

..heh, you didn't squeeze it that much. At least I didn't post a BMP...

jimbeau wrote:

ANOTHER Two Dimensional space combat game?

..some games are BETTER if they are two-dimensional....
big_smile

I've done as much as my over-taxed brain can do today. Let's see if I can attach the RTF of the latest....

I'm going to have to wait til I get home on my lunch hour to look at the files *stares at the clock intently attempting to manipulate time*   

Been pondering the damage system and thinking that instead of hits doing damage and then adding a dice roll with additional system/ physical damge...that it seems a bit, well, clunky.

Proposed changes:
Weapon DMG is the number of points caused rather than dice rolled.

Armor ablates with damage from hit.

Mecha Armor Rating increases by x3.  Armored Vehicles Armor by x2.

System damage is rolled for at 1/2 A/SR, 1/4 A/SR, and mecha is non-functional at zero A/SR.

Minor changes would be made to affected enhancements to account for this.

Or am I being a bit too nit-picky with this?

It is looking good so far, coursework letting I am hoping to have a few games over the weekend, so I should be able to give a clearer Idea how they go.

I attached my newest Ginn, hopefully the last update this is one of the units I will be using, I am working on a Strike at the moment I might post it up later if I have time.

This brings me to the point, the construction rules look good so far, since I can make a grunt mech that should be fairley effective and still have room for a Gundamesqe super mech.

big_smile

Hmmm,

The change would make combat quicker in that there would be less dice to roll.

Not to sure how it would work overall, since the best weapon can do 3 Dmg so a unit with 3 armour now would take 3 hits.

Might still work if bump up weapon dmg slightly to compensate.

'Course I might have got the wrong end of the stick again would not be the first time.

I clipped out the comment by KDLadage, is that what you're reacting to?

> I've just got to say something here.
> I'd REALLY like to start using the mecha models I've got in some sort
> of mecha game.

Very cool...

> But...
> I have NO desire to play a mecha game based on the Starmada engine,
> or anything close to it for that matter.
> If I want to play Starmada I'll play friggin' Starmada.
> Let's show some originality here, leave Staramada out of this, and
> come up with something new.

Other than using the term ROF, what's there about 'APE Corps' that you dont like? Is APEC too much like Starmada for you?

Go0gleplex wrote:

Been pondering the damage system and thinking that instead of hits doing damage and then adding a dice roll with additional system/ physical damge...that it seems a bit, well, clunky.

I rather like the idea of systems degrading as they get hit.

Go0gleplex wrote:

Proposed changes:
Weapon DMG is the number of points caused rather than dice rolled.

Well, that's less 'starmada-like'...It'd make Kevin happy. :-)

Go0gleplex wrote:

Armor ablates with damage from hit.

Eh, I don't know if that's very realistic. It's too much like Battletech's 'cardboard armor'....

Go0gleplex wrote:

Mecha Armor Rating increases by x3.  Armored Vehicles Armor by x2.

I'd think it'd be the other way around.

Go0gleplex wrote:

System damage is rolled for at 1/2 A/SR, 1/4 A/SR, and mecha is non-functional at zero A/SR.

Sounds too much like Full Thrust to me. I'm not that crazy about it.

Go0gleplex wrote:

Minor changes would be made to affected enhancements to account for this. Or am I being a bit too nit-picky with this?

Eh, I'm thinking it's too big a change before you try it as is....

I'll leave it to the list at large, I've given my opinion.

My brain hurtz....