Topic: Space Fighter Combat

Jim and I briefly glossed over the idea at Rock-Con, but I think there is room on the market for a good generic space fighter combat game. Although capital ships can be fun, dogfighting can be a lot more exciting.

Re: Space Fighter Combat

i'd like to see one based on the Starmada engine. with optional rules for (intentionally unrealistic) airplane style manuevers. and aces with special abilities like the ones in Lightning Strike would be a nice touch, too.

Jim and I had been tossing around ideas for the last week or two... we had been thinking in terms of starmada system inspiration for weapons and using elements of Aces at Dawn for maneuver...

kevinsmith67206 wrote:

> Jim and I had been tossing around ideas for the last week or two...
> we had been thinking in terms of starmada system inspiration
> for weapons and using elements of Aces at Dawn for maneuver...
> ==========
>
> I guess I'd have to see how you are thinking about implementing that.
> But if it's a direct port over from AaD, then my initial
> preference would be to not use that mechanic.

I would concur.

AaD works great for what it is -- World War I -- but it just "feels" too low-tech for a space fighter game.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

AaD works great for what it is -- World War I -- but it just "feels" too low-tech for a space fighter game.

Guess I don't see what the conflict there is, as far as maneuvering goes. I may not have been specific enough, the combat mechanic and the durability of the ships isn't what we were looking at.

Taltos wrote:

Guess I don't see what the conflict there is, as far as maneuvering goes. I may not have been specific enough, the combat mechanic and the durability of the ships isn't what we were looking at.

No, I understood... and I'm glad that at least you'd be looking at expanding the combat mechanics. Space lasers and missiles are prolly gonna be more involved than a Vickers 7mm. wink

What I mean by "low tech" is the level of combat. In WW1, you had (essentially) one-on-one dogfights, which is perfectly reflected by AaD. While that's possible for a sci-fi setting, I'm more interested in swarms of fighters zooming in and out... which wouldn't work very well with the AaD mechanics.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

What I mean by "low tech" is the level of combat. In WW1, you had (essentially) one-on-one dogfights, which is perfectly reflected by AaD. While that's possible for a sci-fi setting, I'm more interested in swarms of fighters zooming in and out... which wouldn't work very well with the AaD mechanics.

Hmmmm... I can see adopting the mechanics for movement to apply for flights or squadrons without any great strain, and it would leave that phase pretty quick, so you could manage flights of fighters and concentrate on the fun shooting and exploding bits...

Renegade Legions: Interceptor was pretty great for vector movement and squadron level play.  It's a specific dogfight in space game and accomodates corvettes as well.  The construction rules for it are solid IMO and I absolutely LOVED the wiring diagram systems damage... :twisted:  Especially when causing it....still got a couple squadrons of Verutum and 3/4 squadron of Gladius and Gaurdians...a Marty and a Petal.

LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR! HAIL TOG!

Go0gleplex wrote:

Renegade Legions: Interceptor was pretty great for vector movement and squadron level play.  It's a specific dogfight in space game and accomodates corvettes as well.  The construction rules for it are solid IMO and I absolutely LOVED the wiring diagram systems damage... :twisted:  Especially when causing it....

that is a good game, especially the inertia rules, but having large ships take up two hexes is a clunky mechanic, imo. btw, you can download the 2nd edition from Kannik's site, but they dropped the damage flowchart.  sad

for spacefighter games of that scale there's also Jamie Borg's freeware MechASsemble rules. technically it's a rpg supplement for designing vehicles, but it uses the same engine as Firefly Games' products, so it easily converts to tabletop play. the design rules are a bit more abstract (and versitile), but can easily model RL-type ships or similar and covers dogfighting well. just add the RL inertia rules and you're set. smile

cricket wrote:

I'm more interested in swarms of fighters zooming in and out...

That's EXACTLY what this lurker is interested in seeing too.

Sorry to be doing a bit of thread necromancy here, but did anyone do anything on this? I would love a good generic space fighter game.

Out of intrest what would people want in a game, by which I mean how detailed would you want a fighter? Just basic stats (Speed, defense. attack?) or a bit more in depth (speed,manover, shields,Armour) then have indivual weapon stats?

Would an energy system be too complex? something along the lines of having the stats linked to ethier Engine, shields or weapons) weaken some to strenghten others (A big part of many space computer games which is where I am looking at the moment for ideas.)

Would bigger ships need to be in their at least to some degree, I would'nt mind it since some of the best moments in both starfighter games and movies come when the poor fighters get thrown against a cap ship and have to take it down (Lucifer anyone?)

Anyways thought I would try to get the ball rolling on this thread again =P

Vector Movement!

If you're gonna' open up that can of worms you might as well go 3D otherwise your just playing 2D shuffleboard.