Topic: What is the Drake Notation?

Peter Drake, a long-time fan and contributor has come up with a way of textually representing the Starmada Starship records in a most elegant and playable fasion.  The thinking here, if I've got my history right is that there needed to be a way to display ships that didn't require proprietary programs or any platform-specific requirements.  They also take up a lot less space on a page and can be imported into pretty much any other format using easy text-manipulation.

Drake Notation looks like this:

Infiltrator class Imperial Destroyer (178)
Hull: 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Engines [TL0]: 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Shields [TL0]: 0
Weapons [TL0]:
[a] Green Lasers [3/6/9, 4+, 1/1/1]
ACE, ACE, ACE, ACE
[b ] Green Lasers Mk II [4/8/12, 3+, 1/1/2]
BDF, BDF, BDF, BDF
[c] Skysweepers [1/2/3, 3+, 1/1/1, Expendable, Range-Based ROF, Repeating,
Re-Rolls To-Hit Dice]
ACE, BDF
Special Equipment [TL0]:
Hyperdrive [O], Carronade [O], Point-Defense System [O],
Armor Plating, Anti-Fighter Batteries
[O]1[HQ], 2[Ea], 3[Hb], 4[Ec], 5[H], 6[E]

an example weapon would be

[a] Green Lasers [3/6/9, 4+, 1/1/1]
ACE, ACE, ACE, ACE

[ battery ] Fluffy Name [ RANGE, TH+, ROF/PEN/DMG. Special Ability, Special Ability, Special Ability ]
ARC, ARC, ARC, ARC

You can then print this directly from the web and use it in a game, it's not so pretty as a "regular" sheet, but it is functional and takes up a lot less real estate.

[size=59]You can either use the ROF/PEN/DMG Bits and the Tech Level indicators or, if they're 1/1/1 then it's the default and you don't technically NEED it However being explicit will keep anyone from being completely confused.[/size]

I've revised my opinion on including default values.  You must be explicit when you describe the weapons; e.g. use 2/1/2 not 2 ROF 2 DMG.  It will save any confusion at all.