Re: Spitting Fire

cricket wrote:

>Got to play again today -- this time with 60 planes on the board.

>Great fun as far as I'm concerned, even though I got my butt kicked;
>Jim and Noel will have to speak for themselves.

>Not much I would change at this point, so hopefully we can finish it up
>within the week... maybe?

I've had my say, hopefully others have had theirs....or will shortly.

You can play 60 planes? wow.....

60 planes ? :shock:
That is very impressive, how many players was that with?

Faustus21 wrote:

60 planes ? :shock:
That is very impressive, how many players was that with?

Just two... or rather, three, with Jim stepping aside for Noel on the Axis side halfway through.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

2 people....

Guess I will need to invest in some new models then.
And look forward to the bomber supplement.

*Imagines doing BoB games with decent amount of bombers*

Faustus21 wrote:

2 people....

Guess I will need to invest in some new models then.
And look forward to the bomber supplement.

*Imagines doing BoB games with decent amount of bombers*

big_smile

Exactly what I intend to do...

I see bombers as being used in the game in two ways:

1) As additional aircraft in "fly and die" games. They will have point values like fighters -- and of the bombers I've statted up so far, their costs are equivalent (if not better) than the fighters.

2) In actual bombing runs, where they must maintain formation, speed, and altitude across the board lengthwise. Any bomber that makes it across scores VPs for its side. The point cost of the bomber itself will be reduced appropriately, since its "dogfighting" effectiveness will drop considerably...

I don't know if torpedo and dive bombers should be treated the same way or differently, since I don't know if they had to stay "in formation" like strategic bombers did...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Yeah, we kick butt!

I belive not to the same extent that strat. bombers did.

Torpedo bombers tenned to make their runs in flight's or less I belive. (At least Brits did on attacks at torentino and on the bismark.

But they would tend to keep to a fromation to get to the target to an extent for mutal protection.

So I think both options are still viable, through the first is more likely for them.

Faustus21 wrote:

I belive not to the same extent that strat. bombers did.

Torpedo bombers tenned to make their runs in flight's or less I belive. (At least Brits did on attacks at torentino and on the bismark.

But they would tend to keep to a fromation to get to the target to an extent for mutal protection.

So I think both options are still viable, through the first is more likely for them.

Formation wasn't so important, keeping a straight course at the target on terminal approach was.

jimbeau wrote:

Yeah, we kick butt!

We did well. Some nice sweeps by squadrons trapped some isolated opponents. But where we were evenly matched things stayed balanced. Given that our planes were "cheaper" that kept us ahead nicely and drove the Allies from the air.

I felt that that numbers - speed and hits - were a bit high, in that they could drag the game out some. Though, with fewer planes that may be just about right. Hard to judge from that crowded table. smile

Taltos wrote:

I felt that that numbers - speed and hits - were a bit high, in that they could drag the game out some. Though, with fewer planes that may be just about right. Hard to judge from that crowded table. smile

60 planes is probably a bit too many.
In our playtest game last Tuesday, we played with two squadrons of three Spitfires, and two squadrons of four ME-109s, and had a great time.
My guess is the game will really shine using anywhere from two to four squadrons of planes for each side.
Kevin