Topic: Robert Conroy's 1901

What if novel that sees Germany waging war on the US after America gains its first colonial holdings as a result of its victory over Spain.

As WTJ has some neat pre-dreadnought minis, I drew up stats for the first ship I want in a scenario, the German protected cruiser Freya (Victoria Luise class).

Victoria Luise class Protected Cruiser
7 Hull
4 Speed
5/6 belt
5/6 ends
7 deck
two 8.2”/40 guns in the rule book (one abcd arc the other cdef)
eight 5.9”/40 guns at RoF +1, Range 2/4/6, Pen 2/1/1  (A, B, E, F, AC, BD, CE, DF)
13 light guns (ten  15 pndr pieces)
3 DEU 18”(45) Torpedoes with range 1, Dam 5

Re: Robert Conroy's 1901

It's definitely a cool book.
And I believe there are enough scenario possibilities in it that you could almost justify a complete GF supplement based on it alone.
Kevin

underling wrote:

It's definitely a cool book.
And I believe there are enough scenario possibilities in it that you could almost justify a complete GF supplement based on it alone.
Kevin

Kevin's FINALLY joined the forums?
:shock:

thedugan wrote:

Kevin's FINALLY joined the forums?
:shock:

Sheesh...
A person doesn't post much, and see what happens?
wink
I've actually been a member for a while, I...
... just don't post much.
smile
I spend a lot more time over on the egroup.
Kevin

Yeah, He's stubborn that way.

I wonder how many others there are out there doing that?

jim

After the end of the Spanish-American War, many US Atlantic fleet wargames were based on Imperial Germany seizing a port in the Carrebean Sea amd trying to expand there.  This never happened, but gives many hypothetical naval battles between the 2 countries predreadnaught battleship fleets.  The US Battleships would have an advantage because their  4 main guns were 12" and 13" guns.  Most German predread battleships had shorter-ranged 9.4 inch guns as their main guns.   

Another strange hypothetical battle could be between the British home-fleet and the Imperial Russian Baltic fleet set in 1905.  As this fleet sailed across the North Sea on the way to Vladivostock(!), Its lookouts spotted "Japanese Torpedo boats" in the fog.  They fired on them and sank a few.  Then later discovered that they had blasted a British fishing fleet (Whoops!).  What if, instead,  these trigger-happpy Russians  had stumbled upon a Royal Navy predredought battle squadron on maneuvers in the North Sea fog... (!)  (?)

Just some thoughts.

Steven Gilchrist; Jacksonville, Fla, USA.