Topic: Car Wars / Road Warrior

MJ-12 has a very good assortment of games, dealing with a lot of different genres.
But there's one genre that MJ-12 hasn't touched on yet, and it's one that I really enjoy gaming in.
And that is the Car Wars / Road Warrior genre.
Is there any interest out there in pursuing a Car Wars / Road Warrior themed game?
I've got a ton of stuff for it, and would really like to come up with some rules to use the stuff I've got.
I'm envisioning a game where each player can easily run multiple vehicles and pedestrians, and where vehicle maneuvering is there but not in great detail.
Kevin

Re: Car Wars / Road Warrior

i think it sounds interesting and fun.  have a few things to bring up.
1) would this be like mad max style? where the field is mostly a mass of cars with side to side jockeying and a bit of front to back movement.
2) would the focus be on car to car combat (a la twisted metal) or person to person combat on the cars (mad max again)

I've always loved Car Wars for theme, but the rules are way too outdated to play a decent game (I tried at Gencon last year and I almost stabbed myself in the thigh to get out of it).   I'd love to see something that could bring that type of theme to today's wargaming style (complete with rules for campaigns).  Besides, it beats trying to convert all those miniatures that I have for micro-machine sized car wars into something else!  For about a half a 'season', I even drove up to Detroit (6 hr drive at the time) to play to races of Car Wars.  Ahhh, the good old days!

What do you have in mind?
-Bren

i`d love to see a new car combat game. its the genre of gaming i started with, it being CarWars of course. but the enevitable always happens the rules become to encumbered, you spend more time trying to make the perfect car than ya do playing.
  i tried the new rules, they`re fun fast, but still having to account for speed, turning hazards, etc. etc. . its all still just to much.
  im trying to come up with some working guide lines using Dream Pod 9
Silhouette Engine, and construction rules, but i need to come up with a detailed crash table, spin, flip, skid stuff.
  as far as the back ground stuff, i say arena combat, the open highway/streets thing can get a little daunting moving  the board from back to front, and nothing really changes until the near end of the battle.
arenas can be made different every time you play, from dirt to concrete
and even npc spectator particapation or speed traps, if you go to slow,the arenas  guns automaticlly target and fire on you

any way im rambling, theres my two cents.

Tommy.

In the back corners of my brain...and for something to do when I'm sitting with my daughter at feeding/burbing/cuddling/give mom a rest time and nothing else to do...I've been thinking about something along these lines.  Car Wars or like Deathrace 2000 (you get to see Sly blowed up! yeah!!!!  lol

I've got a simple 3d6 type system developing that seems to be holding some promise. 

Question is...would it be more fun on a track or say, an industrial plant of some size is cleared out...or several city blocks...or even a cornfield maze by the 'event organizers' and that's the combat arena?

I'd prefer to see a system where you could play it on any surface:
i.e. highway, arena, or over several city blocks. I've got a number
of Matchbox cars, and several sets of the old GW game Dark Future,
along with a LOT of the pedestrians, that are just screaming for a
good system. Several times I've started trying to design such a
game, but always seem to get stuck on the same thing: whether the
game should be fast playing enough to allow players to control
multiple cars, pedestrians, etc. (which would mean fairly
streamlined maneuvering and damage systems), or whether the system
should be more detailed (which would limit the players to a few cars
or pedestrians. And I just can't seem to reach any kind of decision.
So it hasn't gotten done yet.
hmm
Kevin
__________________________________________________________-

One vote for the 'open road'. wink 

I'm leaning towards the ability to control multiple cars/ peds myself.  Fast playing enough to keep the attention span...yet enough shoot 'em up to be grimly satisfying. wink *chuckles*

Personally I would like to see a game where you could control a 'limited' amount of vehicles (maybe 1 to 4) and that it could be played in arena or open road combat. 

I think there should be a 'detailed' manuever system, but nothing as detailed as car wars.  I would think that each car having a maneuver rating between 0 and 3 (5) and that is the numner of 'free' 45 degrees turns or drifts that the car can do in a turn.  Any more requires a control check.

Lastly, there should be different vehicle frames (motorcycles, vans & trucks or mine), but that shouldn't be too hard to do.  Simplely space inside the vehicle and the min/max number of wheel points would be good IMO.

Weaponry should be generate (ala starmada or wardogs) that will give players the largest amount of options.

Whew, maybe I should actually condense my thoguhts into a workable system...
-Bren

jygro wrote:

Personally I would like to see a game where you could control a 'limited' amount of vehicles (maybe 1 to 4) and that it could be played in arena or open road combat. 

I think there should be a 'detailed' manuever system, but nothing as detailed as car wars.  I would think that each car having a maneuver rating between 0 and 3 (5) and that is the numner of 'free' 45 degrees turns or drifts that the car can do in a turn.  Any more requires a control check.

Lastly, there should be different vehicle frames (motorcycles, vans & trucks or mine), but that shouldn't be too hard to do.  Simplely space inside the vehicle and the min/max number of wheel points would be good IMO.

Weaponry should be generate (ala starmada or wardogs) that will give players the largest amount of options.

Whew, maybe I should actually condense my thoguhts into a workable system...
-Bren

maneuver system will be detailed...or rather, a given vehicle type will have a set of maneuvers available to it (all I'll say on it for now...but that's not the whole of things tongue )...the key of course is the die mechanic I'm working up.

There will be different vehicle types...complete with hard points and such similar to wardogs.

Combat will be a bit different however though I'm going to try to keep the open weapon design included.  "contests" will range through several scenario types.  Full out combat...objectives...who can get the highest point total...Demolition (and I'm not talking JUST the cars! :twisted: ), etc.

For now it's going down as just sketchy notes...until I get Wardogs full up and running. smile

Conversationally speaking...initial thoughts are vehicles will get a maneuver rating.  So a motorcycle may be an MR 1 whilst a semi is gonna be and MR 6.  A motorcycle tries to pull a 180 bootlegger at 60 mph...quick check of a chart shows this to be a  moderate maneuver for the cycle...or a mag. 2+2.  The semi trying to do the same thing shows it to be a difficult maneuver...or a mag. 3 -2 (for discussion).  Of course driver skill would further modify things here...but I'm not including it in my initial conceptualization.

Meaning, the cycle would need to roll 3+ (MR1 +2=3) on at least two (mag. 2) of the three d6 rolled to successfully complete the maneuver. 
The semi would need to roll 4+ (MR6-2= 4) on all three (mag. 3) of the d6 rolled to successfully complete the manuever.

Failure...well...ouch.  :twisted:

go0gleplex wrote:

Conversationally speaking...initial thoughts are vehicles will get a maneuver rating.  So a motorcycle may be an MR 1 whilst a semi is gonna be and MR 6.  A motorcycle tries to pull a 180 bootlegger at 60 mph...quick check of a chart shows this to be a  moderate maneuver for the cycle...or a mag. 2+2.  The semi trying to do the same thing shows it to be a difficult maneuver...or a mag. 3 -2 (for discussion).  Of course driver skill would further modify things here...but I'm not including it in my initial conceptualization.
Meaning, the cycle would need to roll 3+ (MR1 +2=3) on at least two (mag. 2) of the three d6 rolled to successfully complete the maneuver. 
The semi would need to roll 4+ (MR6-2= 4) on all three (mag. 3) of the d6 rolled to successfully complete the manuever.
Failure...well...ouch.  :twisted:

Well, since I'm the one who originally brought up the topic I guess I'll throw out a few opinions.
smile
For starters, I think we should go with d10s. They're getting to the point where they're almost as common, and allow more "granularity," for lack of a better word.
A maneuver rating is fine, as long as it's a universal modifier that's added to all maneuvering rolls. I think I'd stay away from a maneuver chart for vehicle types, and maybe think about assigning "safe" speeds to various maneuvers. The reason for this is to not artificially limit what  player can attempt. For example, if someone driving a tractor-trailer wants to attempt a bootlegger that's fine. More than likely it won't be successful, but let's not restrict a player from attempting it because that maneuver doesn't show up on a maneuver chart for the tractor-trailer.
The idea of hard points is fine. Dark Future uses it and it works.
You didn't mention anything about this, but for movement I'd like to stay away from plotted movement if possible. I'd like to come up with some sort of initiative system where when it's time for a vehicle or pedestrian group to activate they do so. It'll take some thought but I'm sure we can come up with something that works.
For damage allocation, we can probably go several directions. I guess I'd prefer to see a system where it's possible for a vehicle to still have most of it's systems functional after massive damage in one game, while in another game it might have all of it's weapons disabled after just a few hits in another. In other words, I'd prefer not to see the damage allocation be predictable. A good example of predictability is Silent Death. The damage tracks are cool, but a given fighter always takes damage in exactly the same way.
More later.
Kevin

Was wondering if you were gonna respond Kevin. big_smile

d10...can do. smile

Not thrilled with charts myself...or predictable damage patterns. 

Speed assignment...hmmm....so figure a top speed for the vehicle, eh?  'Safe' speed is more dependent upon the road being traveled.  (I do road design for a livin. wink )   Friction, grade, curvature...and speed are all the key components there.  Have to think on this but I'm sure somethin can be brainstormed. smile

Yes...initiative system. big_smile

go0gleplex wrote:

Speed assignment...hmmm....so figure a top speed for the vehicle, eh?  'Safe' speed is more dependent upon the road being traveled.  (I do road design for a livin. wink )   Friction, grade, curvature...and speed are all the key components there.  Have to think on this but I'm sure somethin can be brainstormed. smile

Actually, what I'm envisioning is a universal set of maneuvers available to every vehicle. each maneuver would then have a safe speed.
Something similar to the following:

Maneuver      Spd(mph)    Effect
Drift                    80    ½ base width slide left or right
Steep drift                    50    Up to one base width slide left or right
45 deg turn    50    Up to 45 degree turn left or right
90 deg turn    20    Up to 90 degree turn left or right
135 deg turn    10    Up to 135 degree turn left or right
Bootlegger                    (1)    180 degree turn
Donut                    0 (2)    Turn to any facing
Brake slam    (3)    Stops vehicle

(1) The bootlegger reverse is a special maneuver that results in the vehicle facing 180 degrees opposite the direction of travel before the maneuver. It may only be attempted when a vehicle is traveling between 30 – 50 mph.

(2) A donut is simply a car spinning in place to face a new direction. It may only be attempted when a vehicle has come to a stop, and is automatically successful.

(3) A brake slam is an emergency action, is only attempted when a car wants to come to a complete stop in a hurry. As such, it may be attempted by a vehicle traveling at any speed.

Now, these safe speeds may be influenced by the type of road surface, etc., in the form of basic modifiers to a maneuver test. But the safe speed for each maneuver would be independent of the vehicle attempting the maneuver. Where the differences of each vehicle type would come into play is with a maneuver rating. So your basic motorcycle would have a much "better" maneuver rating than our loveable tractor-trailer.
smile
Kevin

I'll have to digest that for a bit Kevin. *chuckle* But I think I agree in theory where you're going.

go0gleplex wrote:

I'll have to digest that for a bit Kevin. *chuckle* But I think I agree in theory where you're going.

Okay, so while I'm on a roll, I'll take it one step farther.
All of the following is purely hypothetical, so don't get let any suspect numbers throw you off.
And I don't know anything yet about your 3dx system, so I'll make some assumptions.
For funsies, let's go one step "better" than a fixed die system (3dx), and assume an xd10 system. Vehicles get a number of maneuvering dice equal to xd10, where "x" can range from 1 to 5. These dice are rolled when attempting a maneuver at above the safe speed. For example, using the speeds from the post above, a sedan is traveling at 60 mph and wants to attempt a steep drift (safe speed 50mph). This necessitates a maneuvering test. All tests have a base 6+ target number, with one success is generally enough to pass a test. So if you're rolling one d10, you've got a 50% chance of successfully attempting the maneuver.
Modifiers to a control test might add to the number of successes that must be rolled in order to successfully make a maneuver. For example, for a steep drift, the speeds might be as follows:

I'll assume increments of 10 mph for units of movement...
50 mph or less = automatic pass
60 mph = one success required
70 to 80 mph = two successes required
90 to 110 mph = three successes required
120 to 150 mph = four successes required
160+ = automatic crash

So let's say our sedan has 3d10 for its maneuvering dice, is traveling at 70 mph, and wants to steep drift. That is 20 mph over the safe speed, which necessitates a maneuver test with two successes. The dice are rolled, with one success coming up, meaning the sedan has failed by one success.
Now let's look at the consequences...
I propose some sort of step reduction for control: for starters how about in control, partial control, shaky control, and lost control (skidding or spinning). I've shamelessly borrowed this from my racing game.
smile
So from the above example, the sedan has lost one step of control, and is now in partial control. this has no effect other than being closer to a lost control status. And each maneuver attempted at above the safe speeds will necessitate a maneuver test, which puts a vehicle at risk.
this control can be regained to some degree at the end of each turn.
To further customize vehicle ability, the base target number 6+ could vary from vehicle to vehicle. So a cycle might have 4d10, with a target number of 5+. This would represent an extremely maneuverable vehicle.
These are just some initial thoughts.
Kevin

Sounds good.  Maybe have the consequence of the partial control be either a loss of a die...so if the sedan who failed its control roll is now only partially in control, instead of 3d10 it only has 2d10 until control is regained. 

The driver skill could be a modifier pool to the dice rolled, so a Driver +2 could add 2 to any one die or 1 to any two dice rolled.

go0gleplex wrote:

Sounds good.  Maybe have the consequence of the partial control be either a loss of a die...so if the sedan who failed its control roll is now only partially in control, instead of 3d10 it only has 2d10 until control is regained. 
The driver skill could be a modifier pool to the dice rolled, so a Driver +2 could add 2 to any one die or 1 to any two dice rolled.

I thought about having a dice pool also.
And I'm definitely in favor of trying that.
I just didn't know if others would think that'd be too fiddly.
Although another way you could do this is have the vehicle have a maneuver value, which sets the target number for maneuver tests. So the lower the number the better.
Then on top of that you could have your pool of d10s, which represent the driver's ability over a turn's worth of time. So a 1d10 driver isn't going to be able to attempt nearly as many maneuvers (like all of 1 smile), or be certain of successfully completing that maneuver, as say a 4d10 or 5d10 driver.
The idea then would be that that pool refreshes at the start of each turn.
But again, it boils down to whether or not you want to track dice expenditure for each vehicle over a turn.
I don't have a problem with that, especially if the design intent is to have players running from 1 to 3 or 4 vehicles.
But others might see it as fiddly.
Kevin

I think if the dice pool probably is a bit too fiddly.  Having a point modifier pool for the driver to use in influencing success would reflect his skill in pulling the maneuver off...any idiot can try to bootleg at 100mph...but only a true master can pull it out as it goes south. wink  I like the idea of having the car assigned the MR dice...which seems to model the agility of the vehicle well with the maneuver having a number of required successes.  It just seems to intuitively keep things in a perspective scale IMO. smile

How about Side Swipe as a working title?
I came up with this a year or so ago. I'm not set on it by any means, but thought it'd be nice to have something in place so we don't have to refer to the game as "the stupid Car Wars game."
smile
I did a few calculations a while back, and thought the following might work for game scale.
I was assuming Matchbox or Hot Wheels scale for cars, although you could certainly use Micro Machines.
If we assume Matchbox or Hot Wheels are being used, they're roughly 1/64 scale. This means that one inch on the tabletop equals approximately fifteen feet. If we use two second game turns, this means that a movement of one inch would be equivalent to 5 miles per hour.
Or a vehicle traveling at 60 mph would move 12 inches.
I think this scales nicely for most player's tables. My guess is that for a lot of scenarios the speeds will actually be slower than this, and so movement distances will be shorter. I'm guessing that combat speeds would really be more in the 20 to 40 mph range for most urban (non-highway) scenarios.
Any thoughts on the above?
Kevin

(Up to my butt in alligators at work...so sorry if I sound curt. smile)

Title: Works for me. smile

Scale...Hotwheels, no problem.  Timing though I would use 5 second turns minimum.  It takes most folks an average of 2 seconds to react in an emergency braking situation.  Default reaction time for most computations is 3 seconds.  So 5 would give a couple extra for any targeting and such involved. 

Besides...there's always the 'speed freaks' who like 150mph races...;) *chuckles*  It would keep 'em on the table at least a turn or two.  lol

go0gleplex wrote:

Scale...Hotwheels, no problem.  Timing though I would use 5 second turns minimum.  It takes most folks an average of 2 seconds to react in an emergency braking situation.  Default reaction time for most computations is 3 seconds.  So 5 would give a couple extra for any targeting and such involved. 
Besides...there's always the 'speed freaks' who like 150mph races...;) *chuckles*  It would keep 'em on the table at least a turn or two.  lol

The only problem I see with 5 second turns (and trying to keep the game *somewhat* scaled correctly, is that the movement rates get pretty large. A speed of 60 mph, again assuming my numbers are correct, would equate to 30 inches of movement. And 150 mph would equate to a movment of 75 inches.
Or basically one pass on a normal table.
smile
I don't have a problem with longer turns, but I would like to keep the game in the ballpark of being realistically scaled.
Kevin

Sorry Kevin...I went the wrong way with the thinking in my head. (a good example why doing 4 things at once is not a good thing) :oops:

forgot that more time equals longer distances traveled.   Now that I've been reminded to focus more on distance than time...;) 

The scale is probably good...though I'm inclined to reduce it by 25%...so rather than 12" at 60 it would be more like 9".  But that's just me...and where I was thinking rather than my oops.  :roll:

--snip --And 150 mph would equate to a movment of 75 inches.
smile
I don't have a problem with longer turns, but I would like to keep the game in the ballpark of being realistically scaled.
Kevin[/quote]

What about having a smaller scaled map to the side, and then a combat map?

You can plot the movement of the cars over a wider area, and use the rest of the table top for the times when the cars are actually in proximity to each other.

That would give you the bst of both worlds maybe....as well as that maze-running aspect of going through the city streets a la Twisted Metal.

Just a casual interjection.

JP

Justin Crough wrote:
underling wrote:

--snip --And 150 mph would equate to a movment of 75 inches.
smile
Kevin

What about having a smaller scaled map to the side, and then a combat map?

You can plot the movement of the cars over a wider area, and use the rest of the table top for the times when the cars are actually in proximity to each other.

That would give you the bst of both worlds maybe....as well as that maze-running aspect of going through the city streets a la Twisted Metal.

Just a casual interjection.

JP

I could see this working for something like a cross-state combat  (deathrace) type thing...but not so sure about a typical combat 'arena'.

Man, you two have been busy.  I'm out of the conversation for a few days and blam... 

First off, I like the name.  Side Swipe is nice and simple.

Second, instead of a stated distance, I would use 'units' since it could be scaled for the include 1 inch counters, 1.5 inch scale micromachines or 3 inch matchbox cars.  Personally, I would make one unit of the game equal one half of the car and let the players decide the 'scale' they'll use (why re-invent the wheel here).

My idea for maneuvers was to make a list of 'acceptable maneuvers' that a vehicle can perform in a turn/round/whatever.  Then have each vehicle have a maneuver rating.  That number would be the safe number of maneuvers for speeds less than 30 mph.  For every 20 mph over 30 mph, the vehicle would have one less safe maneuver to spend (“excessive” amounts of damage would also be a way to lose maneuvers).  For every maneuver performed after the ‘safe' ones were spent, the player would have to roll a control check with failure being some nasty results.

For example, lets say we have a sports car design that has 6 safe maneuvers.  If the car was going between 0 and 30 mph, it could perform 6 maneuvers without the need to make a check (a car must move straight at least 1 car length before a new maneuver can be done).  If that same car was going 110 mph it could perform 2 maneuvers before making a check

Control checks...  I think that the best way would be the divide the speed by 10 and that is the needed value on a d10 to stay in control (If that sports cars need to make a check, it has a problem).  If the check fails, the amount failed by would be what occurs.  Driver skill could modify the die result (how the sports car could survive).

Thoughts.
-Bren

Conversationally...

I think it's gonna be cleaner to have a list of maneuvers that players can choose from rather than assign them to the vehicles.  Any vehicle can attempt any manuever, but it's going to be up to the skill of the driver and the maneuverability of the vehicle itself that is gonna determine success or not...as modified by by speed of course.

I'm thinking that for construction purposes/ design, a vehicle will have three body zones.  The front, the middle, and the rear...each with a set number of equipment modules.  The EMs will be used to buy hardpoints, engine size (to determine max. speed), driver/passenger compartment, and special equipment of course.  This, I think, would give some pretty good flexibility in car layout.