From Kevin on the Yahoo! group:

> Well, lately I've been thinking about putting together a
> Grand Fleets supplement. What I'm envisioning is an
> additional mix scenarios from WW I and WW II. These scenarios
> can be historical, or hypothetical "what-ifs." So here's the
> chance for all five of you who bought the game wink to be able
> to have some input on what scenarios you'd like to see. I've
> got some ideas on what would be good scenarios to include,
> but I'd like to hear from you all out there.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Grand Fleets scenarios

As one of the five people that bought the game, I think about any scenario would be fine -- I am not too picky.

Of greater interest to me would be a fleet book type setup that would provide ships stats for more of the units in the WWI - WWII time period. Add in some of the public domain ship art and maybe pretty data cards, and I would be sold.

By pretty data cards, I am referring to something like what I am attaching to this message on the MJ12 forum.

-Tyrel

I guess I bought one of the other four copies.

My preference would be for historical and reasonable WWI "what if" scenarios.  Historical scenarios should be fairly easy to come up with, to the point where we shouldn't really need a supplement for them.  I think you'd be providing a real service if you combed the history books looking for things that almost happend, though.

I suppose what consitutes "reasonable" is subjective.   "What if the Grand Fleet and the High Seas Fleet managed to find each other on August 19, 1916?" works for me.  "What if Argentina built a fleet of Queen Elizabeths and attacked the United States?" doesn't.

I'm less interested in WWII scenarios, but I don't actually have anthing against them.

-Eric

PS  Hey, do I need to start following the Yahoo! Group again?  I thought all the action was here.

It looks like it won't be too difficult coming up with enough scenarios, both historical and hypothetical, for at least two supplements. So an additional question is should any supplement feature scenarios strictly from one war (WW I or WW II), or be a mix of scenarios from both wars? My inclination would be to mix it up, but this may not be the best if the majority of the players prefer scenarios from one war or the other.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Kevin

I used to be a fan of the hypothetical scenario until lately.  Now, not so much.  And I guess I'd like to see dedicated books dealing with one conflict at a time (IE -- WW2 Pacific or WW2 Med).

If the idea isn't feasible, then it isn't feasible.  But I still think it would be neat  to see a campaign system added to Grand Fleets, along the lines of VBAM.  You already have the source material to create the ship stats for the hulls used by the US and Japan from 1941 to 1945.  And all the information regarding what ship was available where/when is out there. 

You asked, and that's just what I would like to see.  An expansion that gave the players a way to fight a strategic campaign (you could hit repair, supply and large scale air ops using the strategic rules), while resolving the tactical/surface battles with Grand Fleets.

Oooo!  Campaign rules!  That would be neat!

Hello everyone,

While a student at the University of FLorida in the 1980s, I read a book written in the 1930s describing a hypothetical war between the USA & Japan.  This war was similiar to the 1940s Pacific war, but the Battleships were the main ship; aircraft carriers scouted and launched some minor rades. The climax of the book was a major battle between the battle fleets of both countries, near the Phillipines.  The USA  fleet had dreadnoughts  from as new as the USS Mississippi class to the older USS Florida.  The Japanese had converted the  Aircraft Carriers Kaga and Akagi back to gun ships, each having ten 16" guns.  The book was facinating; interesting reading.   In the book, the defenders of Guam repulse the Japanese first attack on their island with the help of four DDs, much the way as the US Marines repulsed the first Japanese assult on Wake in late Dec1941.  I wish I could find a copy of the book...  This big battle of Luzon would make a great "what if" scenario.

Steven Gilchrist; Jacksonville, USA

"Great Pacific War" by Bywater.

Thanx for the title of that book to thematcurtis; I appreciate it.  I forgot to add that in the big naval battle off the Philippines, the two Tennessee class and the three Maryland class battleships were there also.   As a scenario, it would be an interesting game:  The USA ships were better armored, but the Japanese ships were faster.  The book was interesting to read.

Steven Gilchrist; Jacksonville, Florida, USA