Topic: Hi, greetings and some questions

Hi to all, I'm Zerloon, a new FTM Player  big_smile

First of all I'd wish to greetings all people here, but since I've a lot of questions about the game let the fire begins:

1) Artillery, Monster and Personalty are supposed to be NOT in unit right? I mean, can I muster a unit o four Ogre or two ballista? I think the answer is no, but there is no line on the rulebook, so if it isn't forbidden...

2) Is an impression of mine or most of the units in the appendix have wrong cost? For example, boreal horseman cost 88 when for the point colculator should cost 100 who is wrong?

3) There is a unit minimun size?

Ok, for now is enough, see you soon.  8)

Re: Hi, greetings and some questions

first of all

[size=150]HI[/size]

now to the questions:

1) well, heck.  I never noticed that it doesn't specifically say you can't put monsters and arty into a unit. Sorry about that.

The "official" position is that you cannot put monsters or arty into a unit.  However, my inclination would be to allow them to gang up a little more. I would allow no more than 6 hexes worth of monsters or artillery to gang up, that is to say:

Monster Size   # allowed
    1                   6
    2                   3
    3                   2
    4                   1

2) Well, there used to be a FAQ entry on that.  It has to do with the Defense value 2.  Right now, I can't for the life of me remember why it is wrong for some and not others.

I believe the spreadsheet is correct.  And I am really sorry about that.

3) Well, that one is easy to miss, it is on p6 and it reads

The minimum number of elements at the start of the battle is 3 and the maximum is 12

And do tell, please, what brought you to FtM and show off some of your troop designs as well.

Thanks for the hi-speed answers, so I'll continue my barrage of questions  :twisted: :

4) Reckless to a unit with defense 1 is a bug. Defense 1 is always hit with a 50% basis, so improving the dice tipe is useless, just a point reductor. Or maybe I'm missing something?

5) Apart common sense there is a limit to how many wound a creature can have?

6) Magic spell with "Apply special" factor apply to the entire units (alla elements) or only to one hex (element)? Same for Strike+Linger.

7) About magic, what is the point of the Drain factor? I mean, I understand the effect but is'nt a little too costly for what it does? 5 point to remove 1 point right?

8) The regroup order is a little odd to me. If I have a 11 element without range attack but overkill melee attack and 9+ of morale, regroup with a single element with same melee stats, 3d12/1000 range attack and 2+ morale I will have 12 element with 3d8/1000 range attack and 6+ morale for with a large discount... and after all is'nt more simple mantain all elements with is own stats?

See you soon, I've plenty of questions for you  8)

4) How's Reckless with Def 1 a bug? I don't understand, is it a bug in the unit creator spreadsheet? Please explain deeper.

however...

You've noticed a feature/quirk of our system...

at opponent def 0 you're more likely to hit with a d4 unit
at opponent def 1 You're just as likely to hit with any die type
it's only at 2+ that you get a differentiation

Now, that was planned, we initially wanted to have d4 be more powerful against Def 0 (thanks for reminding me Dan) but since some people have a problem with the non-linear look of that curve, we decided to allow the following change

Target Number is 3 + Def

But Half the die type plus defense sounds cooler smile

5) Nope, no limit, but it's going to get expensive

6a) "This factor will allow a Magician to assign a special ability to any unit."

6b) Strike: "Designate a target unit within normal Spell Distance."
Linger: "When combined with a strike factor, in the End Phase of the turn re-roll the strike effect." Might have been better written as "When combined with a strike factor, in the End Phase of subsequent turns re-roll the strike effect."

i.e. If you have a strike/linger, and spend the 14 pts to get 2d12 for 2 turns, re-roll the strike at the end of the second turn.

7) One word: upkeep

8) I'll address that after I get a handle on some point costs

Thanks Man!

okay that last one, I have had time to cogitate upon.

First off, the boards are generally less than 30 hexes wide, but I understand why you used 1000 range.

You are correct in thinking that you would get a bonus if you regrouped those two units.  However, your opponent would be a fool to allow that unit on the board. smile  If you don't like the regroup command, just eliminate it. Our rules are built for tweaking!  We just ask that you tell us how it works out.

There are some holes in the point building system which we are addressing  so any help with the balance will get you a free copy of the second edition (no there's no release date) and our undying gratitude smile

we'll probably re-do the points system before the next edition, and provide it as a free download along with the spreadsheet to re-cost the units.

By the way, I am really liking these questions, you've hit on some things we've been talking about now for some time.  I hope you get a chance to play a game, the mechanics work really well and almost everybody has a blast when they play.

Sorry for the magic questions, I'd miss them...  :oops:

About Reckless, let me explain:

Reckless: (.75) A reckless unit's opponent has its attack die type increased by one. Units with a d12 gain a +1 to hit against reckless units.

If I have a unit with defense 1 they are always hit on a 50% basis, regardless die type. So taking Reckless with a unit with defense 1 is a point reductor without malus.
If I'm correct consider that if a unit have defense 0 maybe is even a bonus, since higher dice have less chance of hitting.

I hope I'm clear.  smile

well, that's why it's only a .75 modifier smile

or we messed up and didn't consider that.

Anyway, we're implementing the 3+sef rule in 2.0 so that issue is resolved.  Thanks for noticing it.

Keep 'em coming!