Topic: ETA for next book? Minis?

Just wondering, do we have an ETA for the next IS book?  How about the next wave of minis from Brigade?

Rich

Re: ETA for next book? Minis?

SHORT ANSWER: I don't know.

LONG ANSWER: I think that Dan and company are *thinking* about it, but Dan's wedding has probably got him off track a bit on it.

I lost some email addresses in a HD crash, or else I'd ping the guy (whose name escapes me) who did the bulk of the writeups for the last one.

...as the 'Art Guy', I'm always putting in ideas, but really don't make any decisions. I get involved rather late in the process, and usually hold things up  trying to come up with decent stuff based on the stats and fluff....

There was some discussion about what direction to go, but nothing concrete yet.

Dan's getting hitched?  Dammit, no one tells me anything!  smile

Good reason for a delay, that's for sure.

Dan's also got some other projects in the works (per whisperings in the wind)...

The mini's at Brigade are having issues with sails last I heard.

and I think everyone is still winding down from summer time. wink

go0gleplex wrote:

Dan's also got some other projects in the works (per whisperings in the wind)...

I've heard him mention a few niggles. Nothing that can be downloaded except for a few provocative bits - no 'Beta' releases or anything.

go0gleplex wrote:

The mini's at Brigade are having issues with sails last I heard.

I hadn't heard THAT one. They did seem a bit thick on the ones I have.

..screen door mat'l and Flourescent paint comes to mind. :-)

go0gleplex wrote:

and I think everyone is still winding down from summer time. wink

Geez, it's OCTOBER already....

hundvig wrote:

Just wondering, do we have an ETA for the next IS book?  How about the next wave of minis from Brigade?

Can't comment on the minis, but the book is currently on hold...

Not for any particular reason, other than I haven't gotten around to it yet. I suppose I could be nudged a bit. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
hundvig wrote:

Can't comment on the minis, but the book is currently on hold...

Not for any particular reason, other than I haven't gotten around to it yet. I suppose I could be nudged a bit. smile

Nudge, nudge...

hundvig wrote:

Nudge, nudge...

I consider myself nudged.

I must confess that I am still distracted by the possibility of a more "modern" sci-fi setting using the Iron Stars mechanics... I keep wondering about the SFO universe...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

How about the next wave of minis from Brigade?

The Austrians (and the Gamma and Volga) were in our release plans for SELWG last weekend but were held up this time simply because we'd run out of mould blanks. They'll be out for Xmas, honestly they will ...  :?

Oooohhh, now you've done it.

Now the itch is coming back.

The Austrians........those are my fellas.  I get to see ships I wrote up as actual minis!?!?!?!

NICE  big_smile

brigadetony wrote:

How about the next wave of minis from Brigade?

The Austrians (and the Gamma and Volga) were in our release plans for SELWG last weekend but were held up this time simply because we'd run out of mould blanks. They'll be out for Xmas, honestly they will ...  :?

Oh good.  Now I just have to convince one of my gamer friends to give me some as presents.  Don't think I trust Aunt Wanda to do online shopping for minis...  smile

cricket wrote:
hundvig wrote:

Nudge, nudge...

I must confess that I am still distracted by the possibility of a more "modern" sci-fi setting using the Iron Stars mechanics... I keep wondering about the SFO universe...

Hmmm......

Is this a hint that you're considering a release of... (wait for it)

Iron Stars: Star Fleet Omega?

Heh...that would be cool....but we really need more 'fictions support' on that.

Is there a help file for the text encoding?

I dunno.  I think it'd be a shame to break away from the timeline before WWI is even started.  You wouldn't even have to introduce that many new widgits to take players into 1914-1916.

Meaning....You ever thought about introducing mass scale rules for the IS universe?  I think it'd be neat to have an ether version of Jutland taking place.  Granted, there wouldn't be as many ether ships as their wet navy counterparts.  By why not have rules where players could field a dozen plus capital ships (not just DDs) at a time?  I think the current rules might have too many dice rolling to make big battles practical, but it would be a neat addition -- ya gotta figure ship production efforts would amp up in the midst of a full-scale war.

themattcurtis wrote:

I dunno.  I think it'd be a shame to break away from the timeline before WWI is even started.  You wouldn't even have to introduce that many new widgits to take players into 1914-1916.

True, but think of it from another point of view:

Those to whom the Iron Stars 'universe' holds no fascination would certainly profit from us using essentially the same rules for another genre.

HOWEVER, the pdf I have (I sent it to work, and so, still have it after the crash) has 'all d6' mechanics.

themattcurtis wrote:

Meaning....You ever thought about introducing mass scale rules for the IS universe?  I think it'd be neat to have an ether version of Jutland taking place.  Granted, there wouldn't be as many ether ships as their wet navy counterparts.  By why not have rules where players could field a dozen plus capital ships (not just DDs) at a time?  I think the current rules might have too many dice rolling to make big battles practical, but it would be a neat addition -- ya gotta figure ship production efforts would amp up in the midst of a full-scale war.

IIRC, ship produciton continued in WW1, but the pace wasn't nearly as fast as losses. WW2 production was VERY low everywhere in Europe, and the USA keep going about at the same pace except for the Cargo ships that we cranked out faster than the Nazi's could sink them and production was shifted towards carriers vs battleships.

I could be wrong, I've not actually read about production, but the general histories I've read seem to suggest this.

As far as 'mass combat', I'm sure that designating pools of dice could be done easily enough - designate how many ships are firing at what target, select the appropriate dice and roll.

Likely it's a lot more complicated, but I'd go that direction....
smile
<shrug> I'm just da art guy....

Don't see how losses outpaced production.

Certainly didn't happen with the Brits.  And the Germans only lost a couple dreadnoughts, period.

I guess you could take it into the SFO universe, but as I'm just the fluff guy (or one of them, Todd being the other  big_smile ), then I gots nowhere to go. To me, the setting is everything.

No one's talking about abandoning the current timeline... but I think it'd be fun to port the mechanics to a different setting.

Maybe as a side project. Like I don't have enough of those right now.

smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I've never even heard of the SFO universe until seeing it mentioned here. smile   So I don't know how fluffy goodness I can help with there...

On the other hand...taking the IS universe into the far future does sound like it could be quite fun. big_smile

themattcurtis wrote:

Don't see how losses outpaced production.

Only in Cargo ships during the latter stages of WW2. Liberty ships were crap, but we pumped out absolutely HUGE numbers of them. If they lasted 2-3 runs, they paid for themselves.

themattcurtis wrote:

Certainly didn't happen with the Brits.  And the Germans only lost a couple dreadnoughts, period.

Nope, Europe was losing the capacity to build all through the war in WW2.

In WW1, Economics strangled all the European combatants (indeed, some say the Germany only lost due to it's dying economy), reducing their ability to fund shipbuilding. Not to mention shifting resources to more critical needs.

themattcurtis wrote:

I guess you could take it into the SFO universe, but as I'm just the fluff guy (or one of them, Todd being the other  big_smile ), then I gots nowhere to go. To me, the setting is everything.

HEY TODD!

You get the 'Dragon' I sent you?

The Brits churned out battleships and BCs during WWI.

The Germans produced the Konigs during WWI, didn't they?

I guess I'm confused.  The British fleet grew...The Germans grew during the early stages of the war.  The Japanese fleet grew, didn't it?

thedugan wrote:

HEY TODD!

You get the 'Dragon' I sent you?

Yup...just takin a bit to think about things...and tryin to do it while awake. wink *chuckle*

Either way, I wasn't trying to be obnoxious.  I've just had fun brainstorming the deaths of entire civilizations big_smile

thedugan wrote:
cricket wrote:
hundvig wrote:

Nudge, nudge...

Hmmm......

Is this a hint that you're considering a release of... (wait for it)

Iron Stars: Star Fleet Omega?

Heh...that would be cool....but we really need more 'fictions support' on that.

Don't look at me, I already did my sector writeup.  Well, mostly.  Maybe I should go back and fiddle with that some more when I get some time.

IS:SFO would be kind of neat, though.  Need some tweaking to give it a more modern feel, while remaining vaguely hokey, in keeping with the original series.

Rich

go0gleplex wrote:

I've never even heard of the SFO universe until seeing it mentioned here. smile

www.mj12games.com/omegapedia

Enjoy!

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
go0gleplex wrote:

I've never even heard of the SFO universe until seeing it mentioned here. smile

www.mj12games.com/omegapedia

There's also a Yahoo Group, and some pix in the photos section:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/sfomega/

I just re-read some of the Omegapedia, the writing ain't half bad. Lots of plot hooks for our more fiction-capable minions to exploit...
:-)

So... the next Iron Stars book will likely be the previously-discussed "Jane's" type recognition manual, with stats for every ship in existence just before the start of our version of the Great War.

Thus, if there's a fleet you've been dying to see fleshed out, get to work!

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com