Topic: Proud owner of 4gb ram!

So I am more memorific than you!

Re: Proud owner of 4gb ram!

jimbeau wrote:

So I am more memorific than you!

Great, now you can have more Micro$$$oft "Products" on your computer.
big_smile

More? No, he's only halfway to running Vista properly.

IMO however Step 2 to running Vista properly is to uninstall it and revert to XP or 2000.

smokingwreckage wrote:

More? No, he's only halfway to running Vista properly.

IMO however Step 2 to running Vista properly is to uninstall it and revert to XP or 2000.

Funny, I've got 2000....I'm cool with that. Haven't been forced to update, but then, I'm not running anything on here other than the operating system that's a Micro$$$$oft product...

I use Open Office and similiar Open source stuff. I've received ONE document in DOCX format, the 'open' format by Micro$$$$oft that no one seems to have adopted.

Funny how the existing XML format pioneered in the Open Source community  suddenly became a proprietary one that nobody would touch - except to create conversion tools for.

When ReactOS comes out ( http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html ) I plan on using that when it's convenient for me. It's almost ready to BETA at this point.

I run a Mac.

'nuff said.

Hey mate. I have a new 4gig 24" mac too. big_smile  big_smile I love my mac. She is just....WOW! Best machine I ever had.

First I thought to integrate this 1TB internal HD upgrade from apple too, but now its only the smaller 320 HD. Do you have Leopard? I will take the upgrade for 8 bucks because I bought the mac some weeks ago.

EDIT

I found a docking program that returns os x to it's wonderous-ness called "Dock-It"

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11108

/EDIT

I give the new OS a 5/10. UPDATE It's now a 6/10 with Dock-It...

I noticed an improvement in OS speed and my g5 fans no longer spin at god awful jet engine speeds.  I don't know if the speed is a RAM upgrade thing or an OS thing, but I put the RAM in a few days before the upgrade so I'm thinking the OS is actually faster now that it's had a chance to index everything.

The fan view in the finder is cool. But kind of irrelevant to a real computer user. Tho having thumbnails of the pictures is nice. 

I doubt I'll ever use the time machine thing.

Spaces might take some getting used to. I tried to use it, but my graphics card is just a wee bit too slow for it to be seamless.

However, I would wait until the very last minute for the leopard upgrade and here's why...

They really messed with the Dock something fierce. And they're ignoring or won't talk about it at all.

Let's just say this new Stacks business is a serious step backwards for real Mac users.

My advice to anyone is wait until they bring back the functionality we've come to love.

And I am a real Mac FANatic too. I'll let you know when it's safe for human consumption. I'll get by, but I will look for a pre-leopard dock hack to bring back the real dock.

It is pretty, but I'd like to be able to change the look and feel...just a little. like different colored window graphics.

Oh well, hopefully they're listeneing to me... hello... is this thing on. Steve, buddy, it's a step backwards.

jimbeau wrote:

I run a Mac.

'nuff said.

Shoulda mentioned that to start out with, they're completely different that REGULAR computers big_smile

Not to start an argument about computer stuff, but there are several reasons that I prefer PC's to Macs (and yeah, they're BOTH Personal Computers...) :

- When Macs first hit the scene, they were twice the price - if not more. That price difference has come down, but I can still buy a PC a lot cheaper

- If I build it myself (which I do) then I can get EXACTLY the hardware what I want on the computer.

- I can actually buy the parts and build it myself - Mac's are 'easier to operate' because they have control over the hardware and the software (well, until just the last year or so).

- Software is MUCH more varied and generally cheaper - except for the OS.

If you're a well-paid professional that can get by on just the retail software that is available, then you're golden - as I've heard that Mac's 'just work'. But, you pay more so that it 'just works'....

Bottom line is that hardware and software are cheaper on a PC, and more stuff is available.

whatever.

Well,
I have to chime in here. I am a PC user, and do not see the need to buy into Apple. As a war gamer all the stuff I need is for windows, and ether cheap or free. I also can pick up a cheap computer and make it a power PC for next to nothing. I have not see a blue screen of death in years and have 4 PCs, and 2 laptops running M$ xp.

I also dual boot my PCs with Linux, this gives me the best of two world.

Now when people ask me what they should buy (I am a PC tech) I add Mac to my list for people to consider now that M$ came out with Vista (crap).

So this is like a race issue here, and one should not mock the other for there choice on computer. It's all about users getting the computer that works for them. For me Windows XP, and Freespire Linux work for me. And between the two OSs I have every program I need.

But you Mac users need to back down. Mac is the next system on the bloc and has been hacked so do not for one second think you are safe. And when the time comes (very soon now) Mac will not be ready for it. This is due in part to the snobby attitude of Apple, and it users.

Fact: no computer, or OS is 100% safe from attack. If you believe your system is safe you are a fool.

Wes

noelvh wrote:

Well,
I have to chime in here. I am a PC user, and do not see the need to buy into Apple. As a war gamer all the stuff I need is for windows, and ether cheap or free. I also can pick up a cheap computer and make it a power PC for next to nothing. I have not see a blue screen of death in years and have 4 PCs, and 2 laptops running M$ xp.

I also dual boot my PCs with Linux, this gives me the best of two world.

Now when people ask me what they should buy (I am a PC tech) I add Mac to my list for people to consider now that M$ came out with Vista (Carp).

So this is like a race issue here, and one should not mock the other for there choice on computer. It's all about users getting the computer that works for them. For me Windows XP, and Freespire Linux work for me. And between the two OSs I have every program I need.

But you Mac users need to back down. Mac is the next system on the bloc and has been hacked so do not for one second think you are safe. And when the time comes (very soon now) Mac will not be ready for it. This is due in part to the snobby attitude of Apple, and it users.

Fact: no computer, or OS is 100% safe from attack. If you believe your system is safe you are a fool.

Wes

Well it seems that you have never used an apple under OSX like 90% of all the mac haters. Not me. I, like many other mac owners, use both platforms since several years for work. So I take your negative critique quite amusing because it is founded on the usual irrational prejudices about macs and not on knowlegde and experience.  big_smile

For what I do...and the software I have (Some of which is very graphics intensive) I find my PC with it's 2 Gig RAM to be just fine. smile

Enpeze wrote:

Well it seems that you have never used an apple under OSX like 90% of all the mac haters.

I stated why I use a Windo$$$ computer and not a Mac - so did the person you're addressing.

Everyone has reasons that they use one vs another.

I use PC's because they give more bang for the buck - and the fact that I can configure them as I like. I give up the rigid structure of a MAC, but I consider that flexibility a plus - many that use Windows out of the box would minimize their 'computer issues' if they ran MAC's - they wouldn't use Outlook, which would almost put the script kiddies outta business.

Enpeze wrote:

Not me. I, like many other mac owners, use both platforms since several years for work. So I take your negative critique quite amusing because it is founded on the usual irrational prejudices about macs and not on knowlegde and experience.  big_smile

I have to buy and use a MAC just to be able to discuss this? I call bullshit..... OSX is very Unix-like, but with a better desktop. Whee....

If you've run Afterstep on a Linux box (I have), then you've seen NEXT, OSX is simply an upgrade and different widgets.

There are gui's/desktops out there you can use if you want to muck about with to emulate any 'feature' on a MAC - if you want to go to the trouble.

I actually like the Afterstep desktop, but Linux is to much trouble with kids that want those 10$ games (and some more expensive ones) that only run on a PC....

Compare the amount of freeware out that on the PC vs the MAC...

Why do you guys run MACs? What's so great about them?

..other than having fewer viruses, which is not an issue for me unless the kids aren't watched....

Because I don't get paid to maintain my machine at home, and I want it to be easy to manage.

That being said, I've got a pretty sophisticated network (nas disks, automated backups, networked homedirs, multiple machines). Trying to set that up with windows would have been a real drag (I know, cause I get paid to do that from time to time).

That and I'm happy that my two year olds can call up front row and watch fosters home for imaginary friends with minimal interaction from mommy or daddy.

Mac's got it's problems, but for most of what I'm doing at home (where I want to play with computers and not manage them) they're just fine.

.r.

So is this actually turning into a pissing contest between PC and Mac users?
Jeez-us.
I really hope not.
:roll:
Use what you use and call it good.
Without the attitude.
:wink:
Kevin

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!

OSX is better than your XP/Vista, I have a network with stuff attached and only mac can do it easily.

This is a joke. If you were brought up on coke thats what you drink.
I was trying to say IT DOSE NOT MATTER WHAT YOU USE!!!!

I will say this I have a very simple setup (4pc 1 is my file server, and 2 laptops) at home using windows XP (with stuff attached) and it was easy to do. And if you want to pay a crap load of money for a computer that fine with me.

You can not show me a Win/Linux user any thing I can not do that Mac can do.

Oh and you PC users want a laugh read this post from CSO online.
It's a real side splitter.
http://blogs.csoonline.com/the_mac_has_been_hacked_big_deal
tongue

PS did you know that most NAS drives spin all the time! Did you know that non SCSI that spin 24/7 cut there life in half. I would not keep my files on a NAS.
Wes

underling wrote:

Kevin

I am NOT going to design and build a sewage system to handle the effluent as a result!  You guys are on your own there...*insane cackle*

underling wrote:

Jeez-us.
I really hope not.
:roll:
Use what you use and call it good.
Without the attitude.
:wink:
Kevin

Well, I'm not trying to. I'm just wondering why MAC users are MAC users... nearly every one I run into has some issue with me using a PC, and I've always wondered why. I'm not going to buy a MAC to find out.

PC's work for me - not had any Network problems - and that's all related to Windows, not a "PC". Honestly, though, my 'network' is pretty simple.

Linux was a bit TOO flexible for my liking. MAC's OS needed that machine and costs too much. Pretty simple decision.

I could fit 4 gig on my motherboard, but I don't want the money and don't have to have it.

I could put in a bigger network, and watch TV online if I wanted to - but all that costs money - I have more time (and technical saavy) than money.

I've got some ships to do....

noelvh wrote:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!

OSX is better than your XP/Vista, I have a network with stuff attached and only mac can do it easily.

Wow, Noel, I'm sorry I seemed to have hurt your feelings. I didn't say anything about mac being better, someone asked why mac was used, I piped up. There's nothing I'm doing can't be done on windows, I just don't like the maintenance (like I said, I'm doing a lot of that all day on unix and windows machines).

I don't have any problems using windows, or setting up a network of them, no big deal. Mostly we've had mac's at home because my wife was using them for her business. I had my linux machines and windows for years. I tried BSD for a few years when mac when OSX (okay, a year before they did, and then a year after). When OSX came out, I started messing with that. It didn't hurt my feelings as much as I thought it would, and when it came time to upgrade machines I started looking at macs instead of pcs. No big deal.

noelvh wrote:

PS did you know that most NAS drives spin all the time!

Yeah, I might have been aware of that. It might have influenced my decision about the enclosure I bought. Yeah, it might have.

Now, deep breath and say it with me:

"It doesn't matter."

.r.

I... I was only saying that Vista is crap. I didn't mean to start all this.... WHAT HAVE I DONE???

PS: windows user. Devilishly difficult to get parts or service for Macs way out here, plus there's the whole completely discarding years of accumulated knowledge thing that I don't like to do.... hence the angst with Vista (which my wife's laptop needs).

I have used Macs. Nothing bad happened and I do not feel the least bit contaminated by the experience.

PS: holy crap, reactOS looks like my most feverish dreams made hot reality.