Topic: Defiance Suggestions

Here's a few thoughts.

PDF: would it be possible to produce a version which sacrifices Defiance's excellent aesthetic to produce a much more compact and less ink-devouring version for home printing? Perhaps even just for the troop builder and/or main rules?

Layout: The Basic Weapons Cost chart begins 22 pages away from where the Weapon Design section begins, and 20 pages away from the ammunition multipliers. I've taken to using Firefox to design weapons (yay tabs!) and it MIGHT not be an issue in hardcopy, but navigating from one to the other in Acrobat Reader is hell... I'm trying to refamiliarize myself with the design process, but am mainly wearing out my pgup/ pgdn keys...

I don't know how well it would work in reality, but it seems to me that maybe the tables should be adjacent to the text that describes their use to facilitate a step-by-step guided walkthrough for the first couple of designs. The grenade charts are right by the text regarding grenades, which almost seems less important since the procedure is so simple when assigning grenades. See what I mean?

Re: Defiance Suggestions

PDF: would it be possible to produce a version which sacrifices Defiance's excellent aesthetic to produce a much more compact and less ink-devouring version for home printing? Perhaps even just for the troop builder and/or main rules?

Hmm, I'm not sure how much/little work this would be for Josh.  It is a valid concern for those without good printers.  I'll ask him.

Layout: The Basic Weapons Cost chart begins 22 pages away from where the Weapon Design section begins, and 20 pages away from the ammunition multipliers.

The reason that the tables are all collected in one section is to make browsing through the rules themselves fairly straightforward.  One trick I accidentally found is that you can type over the pdf page number and it will go straight there.  The problem of contsnatly needing to flip back and forth is really only solvable by a computerized version of the Customizer, which is being worked on, but I'm not sure how soon it will be ready for testing.

-Demian

Like I said, opening several instances of Defiance in Firefox tabs and then overwriting page numbers makes it better. Overall I really like the layout and knew there'd be reasoning behind it, but it is going to be bad for folks who buy the PDF and dont have access to a laser printer.

Oops, missed the part about Firefox.  I've asked Josh about a low-ink version of the rules.  In the meantime, pm me and I'll see what we can do for you.

I fully intend to make any computerized version of the Customizer available as a free download, so that should help reduce page flipping immensely.

-Demian

would it be possible for the final version of the counter sheet to not have the wasted space between the square counters ??

if you did that, you might be able to get another row of counters on the page.

thank you,
                                                                                                       jim a.

would it be possible for the final version of the counter sheet to not have the wasted space between the square counters ??

if you did that, you might be able to get another row of counters on the page.

I'll ask Josh.  Thanks.