Topic: More rules questions

Hello.  I'm new to the game and have a few questions on the rules...

1.  Has there been any consideration for the manueverability of stationary ships?  Can they perform manuevers without having to move forward?  For example, a stationary ship rotating 180 degrees.  Or perhaps only able to turn 1 hex facing a turn while stationary?

2.  Drones are described as acting like fighters.  Can drones be engaged in a dogfight by fighters?  I would think not, but the rules don't specify.  Also, does this mean that drones can fly around willy-nilly or perhaps sit and wait, or do they have to actually move toward a target?

Anyway, I love the rules so far, and this is coming from a long time SFB and Full Thrust player.  A few things I'd like to see in the next version of Starmada:

Hard and fast rules for converting to hex-less games.  I could see this taking up just a page or so.  For example, Starmada-X says each hex would be 4cm.  Thats just about 1 1/2 inches, so I would round it to 2.  So the attack range of fighters would be 2 inches, explosions would be a round 2 inch template, etc.  Somewhere in the rules it mentioned rolling a die under the number of hexes of a range (I forget what it was referring to)... so you would have to double your die roll and compare to the number of inches.  I could go through the rules and do it all myself, but it'd be nice if it was just there, or have it as a supplimentary download.  Maybe even display on the starship record the weapon ranges in inches underneath the hex listings.  1/2/3  and directly underneath 2/4/6 inches.  Its easy enough to do in your head, but much less confusing for newbie players.

I'd also like to see the weapon arcs graphic displayed on the ship record.  Maybe make the movement chart half its size and put the arcs next to the shield indicator chart.  Would be a great tool for getting newbie players up to the speed in introducing them to the game.

Welp, those are just my two cents.  Like I said, great game. 

Fred

Re: More rules questions

1. Has there been any consideration for the manueverability of stationary ships? Can they perform manuevers without having to move forward? For example, a stationary ship rotating 180 degrees. Or perhaps only able to turn 1 hex facing a turn while stationary?

I thought it was in the rules somewhere, but it may have been lost in the shuffle of Strmada X.

Anyway, Stationary starships may turn any number of hexsides.

2. Drones are described as acting like fighters. Can drones be engaged in a dogfight by fighters? I would think not, but the rules don't specify. Also, does this mean that drones can fly around willy-nilly or perhaps sit and wait, or do they have to actually move toward a target?

Drones act as fighters in all regards. it is not explicitly stated, but they may engage in dogfights as well (implied on p28 of Starmada X: Brigade "Drones do not destroy attacking fighters on a roll of 1")

Dan may correct me if I am wrong. I will update the FAQ with these fine queries (http://www.tablegamer.com/cgi-bin/faqw.py)

Probably worth adding that drones being attacked by fighters (a "dogfight") don't cause casualties on ones, but if they attack fighters (or other drones, for that matter) they do so normally...hit on 4+ and removed afterwards.  They actually make a fairly decent fighter defense when used in large numbers...and yes, they can loiter, fly in circles, etc, just like a fighter.

Rich

Vitruvian Man wrote:

1.  Has there been any consideration for the manueverability of stationary ships?

Previous versions of the rules stated that a ship that does nothing else can pivot in place, regardless of MP cost or maneuvering restrictions. However, this capability was removed in X... it made a ship which lost its drive too maneuverable.

2.  Drones are described as acting like fighters.  Can drones be engaged in a dogfight by fighters?  I would think not, but the rules don't specify.  Also, does this mean that drones can fly around willy-nilly or perhaps sit and wait, or do they have to actually move toward a target?

Drones may be engaged in a dogfight, and may indeed initiate one on their own. Drones may fly around willy-nilly (or, in fact, higgildy-piggildy) and sit in place if they so choose.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Drones may be engaged in a dogfight, and may indeed initiate one on their own. Drones may fly around willy-nilly (or, in fact, higgildy-piggildy) and sit in place if they so choose.

However, pill bugs still may not wheel.

--Rich Spainhour

cricket wrote:

Even wishy washy, then?

elrics wrote:

However, pill bugs still may not wheel.--Rich Spainhour

I don't know what the heck that means...

elrics wrote:

“Our specialized approach to caves and tunnels is to put 500-pound bombs in the entrance.”
--GEN Peter Pace, USMC, ChJCS Nominee

I REALLY like the qoute...

Previous versions of the rules stated that a ship that does nothing else can pivot in place, regardless of MP cost or maneuvering restrictions. However, this capability was removed in X... it made a ship which lost its drive too maneuverable.

I will update the FAQ with this non-obvious answer

jim

Maybe have it so a stationary ship can rotate as many hex sides as the number of drive points it has left.  So an undamaged ship could rotate 180, while a ship down to 1 drive box (or even a giant behemoth of a ship which only has 1 drive box to begin with) can only rotate one hex side a turn.  Just an idea.

Anyway, thanks for your help, guys!  I appreciate it.

Fred

So if that capability was removed, what is the current rules on it?  Thanks!

Fred

Vitruvian Man wrote:

So if that capability was removed, what is the current rules on it?  Thanks!

The rule is, a ship must expend the necessary number of MPs to maneuver. If it doesn't have enough MPs, it can't. Period. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

The rule is, a ship must expend the necessary number of MPs to maneuver. If it doesn't have enough MPs, it can't. Period.

So if the ship is stationary, it could perform multiple manuevers in a row without moving forward, as long as it expended the appropriate movement points?  Just clarifying.  Thanks!!

Fred

Vitruvian Man wrote:

So if the ship is stationary, it could perform multiple manuevers in a row without moving forward, as long as it expended the appropriate movement points?  Just clarifying.  Thanks!!

No. What I mean is, there are no special rules for a stationary ship. If it's stationary, it's stationary.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com