Topic: Could large scale Iron Stars Miniatures be possible?

Just to be clear, I love the Iron Stars Miniatures by Brigade, my only complaint is that they haven't brought the range of what's available up to the same level as, for example Aeronef.

Recently though Ad Astra games announced that they had an agreement with Sci-Fi SkunkWerks to produce a series of large scale 1/1500th scale miniatures (double the size of the existing Ad astra minis) for Attack Vector: Tactical. The miniatures are being prepared from existing CGI ship images, like (I assume) the ones in the Iron Stars books, using some form of CAD to create the resin hull components and a number of photo etched and clear acrylic pieces.

So what are the chances that something like this could happen for Iron Stars?  The game line and universe is great and highly detailed large scale minis of the ships shown in the game books would be deeply, deeply cool.  It might also allow for other modelling techniques to be used to build the minis such as using a wire mesh to build the ships heat exchangers* rather than leaving them as solid. You might even be able to add screw propellers to the ships as depicted in the ship illustrations.

The only problem I can see would be finding some one interested enough and talented enough to do the job, since Sci-Fi SkunkWerks' looks like it will be booked up for the foreseeable future making the AVT ships.

*I think that's what the “sails” are, I can't remember seeing anything stating their exact function and if the ships ether screws are driven by steam turbines then its going to need a massive heat exchanger system to condense steam from the boilers back to water for reuse.

Links
http://www.adastragames.com/new.html (Check in the Miniatures catagory).
http://www.scifiskunkwerks.com/ten-worlds.html
http://scifiskunkwerks.blogspot.com/

Re: Could large scale Iron Stars Miniatures be possible?

I have to agree with being disappointed in the lack of IS minis.  But I can also see the manufacturer's standpoint...which is sales.  If the line isn't selling well compared to another line that is, funds and time are going to the profitable line. 

Conversely, a lack of mini development could be the cause that the other line isn't doing well yet...folks waiting for full fleets, not just a few ships. smile

A larger scale mini might be cool, if it could be done economically and be easily affordable.  I could definitely see a game ran with such as MAJOR eye candy at a con or such. big_smile

go0gleplex wrote:

Conversely, a lack of mini development could be the cause that the other line isn't doing well yet...folks waiting for full fleets, not just a few ships. smile

That is actually the reason I went with Grand Fleets and Starmada as my re-entry to miniature gaming.  I actually was more intrigued by Iron Stars, but there are so few ships available that I decided to dig out the old WW1 lead and go that route. 

While I understand that a few modelers would like to see huge models, I am part of the crowd that likes to have decent sized fleets and has to deal with limited storage.  I would rather have them at the 1/3000 scale or like AoG's old FA scale so I could store more in less space.

Admiral Pertwee wrote:

The miniatures are being prepared from existing CGI ship images, like (I assume) the ones in the Iron Stars books, using some form of CAD to create the resin hull components and a number of photo etched and clear acrylic pieces.

The process for creating minis from a 3D model is called 'Rapid Prototyping'. It's sorta pricey - or was a couple of years ago. If you've got money to get that going, then the rest comes pretty easy.

Admiral Pertwee wrote:

So what are the chances that something like this could happen for Iron Stars?

This was actuallly discussed in another forum thread. I don't recall where, it was a couple of days or a week ago.

Admiral Pertwee wrote:

The game line and universe is great and highly detailed large scale minis of the ships shown in the game books would be deeply, deeply cool.  It might also allow for other modelling techniques to be used to build the minis such as using a wire mesh to build the ships heat exchangers* rather than leaving them as solid. You might even be able to add screw propellers to the ships as depicted in the ship illustrations.

Yeah, that WOULD be cool. I've got a few from one of the first batches that Brigade made, and they're still sitting in the sideboard waiting for me to paint. I plan on modding it some, and taking out that solid sail area and inserting some nylon screen. I'll paint the screen a flourescent yellow.
smile

Admiral Pertwee wrote:

The only problem I can see would be finding some one interested enough and talented enough to do the job, since Sci-Fi SkunkWerks' looks like it will be booked up for the foreseeable future making the AVT ships.

Jim Callahan says he can make a watertight mesh from my models, but step one is getting Dan to say okay - but finding the money to get this from model to mini is the problem.

Admiral Pertwee wrote:

*I think that's what the “sails” are, I can't remember seeing anything stating their exact function and if the ships ether screws are driven by steam turbines then its going to need a massive heat exchanger system to condense steam from the boilers back to water for reuse.

As the guy who helped start that whole pseudotechological ball rolling, I can tell you there ain't no steam engines in an Aethernaught. Those big  Balls or Toroids are Zero Point Generators.

The "screws" are more like the propellers found on Airplanes, they are driven by electric motors.

The 'Sails' actually function more like rudders than sails.