Topic: Remember Crash n Burn?

It was a video game by 3DO that I got addicted to in the mid 90's.  Given there's been talk of a car wars game...and with Wardogs kind of at a breaking point, I started tinkering with doing a paper version of it...

Here's the initial one day wonder rules to mess around with wink

(Revised stuff is below.)

Re: Remember Crash n Burn?

8)

snipped

snipped

As the self-proclaimed "racing game god" on this forum, I'll take a look at it.
:wink:
Kevin

I forgot to list what the numbers on the skid card mean. my bad! 

Upper Left #= amount of drift
Upper Right#= Base number for handling check
Lower Left#= Speed loss in mph (Divide by 10 to get loss in spaces/inches moved)

Some new stuff added and old stuff clarified...and switched it all to a d12 die type rather than two types of dice.

Only thing missing are the car counters now. wink   Have fun!

I thought I'd make a couple of points before posting any comments.
Firstly, I'm not a C&B player, so I have no idea how the game works.
Secondly, I love racing games, so that's why I had an interest in taking a look at this.
Now that that's out of the way, I thought I'd post a few comments.

It looks as though the intent is for vehicles to *not* have damage points per say. In other words, A vehicle can keep functioning as long as a critical hit doesn't do something to take it out of action.

I'm guessing for marked tracks (i.e. using squares or rectangles), safe speeds would be posted wherever the track is staggered for turns. You could also post differing speeds on a lane by lane basis if you want.

Drifting - Instead of just saying that a vehicle must travel "X" number of squares before drifting, you could say that a drift can occur only after 1/3 the speed (rounding up) has been moved. For example, if a player announces that a vehicle is going to move 120mph this turn, with a one lane drift to the left, that drift may occur after 40mph (4 spaces) have been moved through. If a vehicle wishes to drift earlier in its movement than this, then a test must be taken for a severe drift.

You don't mention anything about this, but I'd like to see a non-plotted movement type game if possible. When it's time for a vehicle to move, the owning player simply announces the new speed and moves the vehicle.

More later.
Kevin

underling wrote:

I thought I'd make a couple of points before posting any comments.
Firstly, I'm not a C&B player, so I have no idea how the game works.
Secondly, I love racing games, so that's why I had an interest in taking a look at this.
Now that that's out of the way, I thought I'd post a few comments.

It looks as though the intent is for vehicles to *not* have damage points per say. In other words, A vehicle can keep functioning as long as a critical hit doesn't do something to take it out of action.

Pretty much.  The armor gets shot away in due course exposing more and more of the internal workings...which make it easier to take the vehicle out.  But in way of damage points as a separate rating....no.   Think of the bus in "The Gauntlet"...or B-17 Flying Fortresses.  Thousands of rounds taking out armor and such...but they kept on going until something important got shot up.

underling wrote:

I'm guessing for marked tracks (i.e. using squares or rectangles), safe speeds would be posted wherever the track is staggered for turns. You could also post differing speeds on a lane by lane basis if you want.

I like this...though I think I'll do it by 'zone' on the curve.

underling wrote:

Drifting - Instead of just saying that a vehicle must travel "X" number of squares before drifting, you could say that a drift can occur only after 1/3 the speed (rounding up) has been moved. For example, if a player announces that a vehicle is going to move 120mph this turn, with a one lane drift to the left, that drift may occur after 40mph (4 spaces) have been moved through. If a vehicle wishes to drift earlier in its movement than this, then a test must be taken for a severe drift.

I like this too.

underling wrote:

You don't mention anything about this, but I'd like to see a non-plotted movement type game if possible. When it's time for a vehicle to move, the owning player simply announces the new speed and moves the vehicle.

I only use the space type movement through the rules since it is the easiest and cleanest way to illustrate how things are supposed to work. smile  You can do tape measure movement utilizing inches instead of spaces...I tried to make that distinction on page 1 or 2 of things. wink

underling wrote:

More later.
Kevin

Look forward to it. smile

3DO hasn't been around for a LONG time.  Went bankrupt back in the late 90's and Eidos bought them out.  Crash n Burn 3DO is way different from the video game of the same name currently on the market. So if you'd not played it then...nothing to really compare it too.  3DO was the first 32-bit CD media video game console produced...but at $700+ it sort of fizzled.

I thought you were talking about the "excellent" B Sci Fi movie from the early 90's!  smile