Topic: Melee Weapons

A few quick questions about the use of melee weapons:

1. Can a mech with arm-mounted weapons use them in the Fire phase and still punch, or use a melee weapon?

2. Can a mech with a hand-carried weapon also mount a melee weapon? I suppose one or both could be considered "holstered" when not in use.

3. If yes to #2, can a mech with a hand-carried weapon use it in the Fire phase and still punch, or use a melee weapon?

4. This seems unlikely, but does melee weapon damage benefit from the same size modifier (+1 per 2 size levels bigger) as punches?

Cheers,

Christopher

Re: Melee Weapons

catenwolde wrote:

A few quick questions about the use of melee weapons:

1. Can a mech with arm-mounted weapons use them in the Fire phase and still punch, or use a melee weapon?

Yes.  Fire phase and melee phase are separate portions of the turn.

catenwolde wrote:

2. Can a mech with a hand-carried weapon also mount a melee weapon? I suppose one or both could be considered "holstered" when not in use.

3. If yes to #2, can a mech with a hand-carried weapon use it in the Fire phase and still punch, or use a melee weapon?

Gonna answer these both at the same time. wink  Yes, a mecha may have both a hand carried weapon and a melee weapon. You are correct in that one or the other is "holstered" should the other be used.  This means that only one of the two may be used in a turn...so the mecha can either use the hand carried weapon in the fire phase, foregoing a melee weapon attack or use the melee weapon to attack and forego the fire phase attack.    Using the hand carried weapon does not prohibit a single punch attack or kick however, only the use of the melee weapon carried.

catenwolde wrote:

4. This seems unlikely, but does melee weapon damage benefit from the same size modifier (+1 per 2 size levels bigger) as punches?

Cheers,

Christopher

No. A melee weapon functions as a weapon with a uniform size and mass essentially, it does not gain the benefit of the physical melee attacks that are based on size and mass of the attacking unit vs the defending unit.

Is there anyway to increase damage done by a mech in combat besides giving the melee weapon more enhancements, like a piece of equipment.

I also found a rules or construction related problem with melee weapons, the LARGE WEAPON enhancement for melee weapons.

If it is a larger than normal shouldnt it be allowed to use the enhancements it says it cant, since it is just like the HUGE WEAPON but a bit smaller in size.

But i could have misread it or misunderstood it.

EXAMPLE:

WEAPON MECHA GRAVITY SLEDGEHAMMER
LOCATION RT & LT HAND (HAND HELD)
BASE TYPE MELEE
RANGE 1
ROF 1
DAMAGE 4
AMMO N/A
ENHANCEMENTS HUGE
ENHANCEMENTS SUPER HEAVY

WEAPON MECHA GRAVITY HEAVY MACE
LOCATION RT HAND (HAND HELD)
BASE TYPE MELEE
RANGE 1
ROF 1
DAMAGE 3
AMMO N/A
ENHANCEMENTS LARGE
ENHANCEMENTS SUPER HEAVY

I'm not seeing the problem here.  Large Weapon and Huge Weapon work as intended.

As I've stated before. If you and your players want to make adjustments to things for your game and all agree...by all means do so. smile

As the rules stand, the only way to increase melee weapon damage is by enhancement.  Mecha physical attacks are a set issue.  New equipment or melee weapons may be added in supplements or such in the future however, so very little is not open for consideration.

Thanks for the clarifications.  Might I suggest that a short explanatory paragraph be added to future editions?