Topic: Which Equipment can be Hit?

There are some pieces that are obviously able to be damaged and destroyed by Penetrating Hits (Gyros, Dampers, Sensors), and some that assumedly can't be (arms, legs, armor mod's).  Some, however, are in a bit of a gray zone.  Some examples: Is a Stealth System able to be damaged, or is it treated like and armor mod?  Are extra ammo clips for hand-carried weapons treated as equipment, or part of the gun itself?

Overall, I think it would be great to expand Table 13 (master list of equipment) to include a simple indicator of whether a particular piece of equipment is subject to damage by penetrating hits.

Cheers,

Christopher

Re: Which Equipment can be Hit?

catenwolde wrote:

There are some pieces that are obviously able to be damaged and destroyed by Penetrating Hits (Gyros, Dampers, Sensors), and some that assumedly can't be (arms, legs, armor mod's).  Some, however, are in a bit of a gray zone.  Some examples: Is a Stealth System able to be damaged, or is it treated like and armor mod?  Are extra ammo clips for hand-carried weapons treated as equipment, or part of the gun itself?

That's funny, Table 8 on page 17 states that Arms and Legs can be blown off. It also has two levels of damage, Damaged that can be repaired and destroyed, needs replacement. But as you say there is no clear indication of which equipment. "One undamaged system" could mean everything.

Paul

It's the common sense rule.  As example...

Crystal Reinforced Alloy is clearly non-damagable since it modifies the actual armor...which itself is damaged by weapon fire.

Arms, legs, cockpits, hover mod, weapon turrets....have their own entry for damage and destruction on the penetration table.

Smoke dispensers, sensors, thermal dampers, are systems that are damaged as equipment on the pen table...

Yes, I think most of it could be solved with common sense, or agreement between players, but a few bits are particularly unclear.  For instance, in my spreadsheet I assumed that Extra Clips were treated as Equipment because they were bought with EM's and are listed in that section, but in Paul's spreadsheet they are part of the weapon building process and are wrapped up in the weapon.  I could easily see both points of view.  Likewise, is Stealth a "system" similar to electronic countermeasures (which can be hit), or is it something interlaced into the armor and structure (which can't be hit)?  Again, I could see both points of view.  A system that is immune to penetration crit's is much more valuable than one that is not, so this is an important baseline distinction to make, I think.

If we say that everything that is NOT individually listed on the crit chart or part of the armor (which is eroded in its own way) is "other equipment" that implies that they can all be crit'ed.  On the other hand, things like Turrets have a slot on the Vehicles crit chart but not the mecha crit chart.

Okay, here goes nothing.  I'll make a list of the Equipment that I think are NOT susceptible to Penetration Crit's.  Pipe up if you think I got something wrong!

Armor
Ceramic-composite Armor
Crystal Reinforce Alloy
Organic Armor
Superior Alloy
Question: do special abilities disappear when the last AP is lost?

Full Movement Systems
Aerial Mod - Full Flight
Anti-gravity Mod
Aquatic Mod
Hovercraft Mod
Hydrofoil Mod
Submersible Mod

Hmm ... okay, maybe it was simpler than I thought!

About the Extra Magazine, it's listed under Weapon Mod's, so I guess they can't be crit'ed.

It looks about right there Cat.  I "am" going to be taking a look at this also when I have a bit more time this weekend.

No...extra ammunition and reloads etc cannot be critical'd since the weapons themselves can be...or consider the designers were really careful about how much protection they put around something that can go BOOM when hit. wink

go0gleplex wrote:

No...extra ammunition and reloads etc cannot be critical'd since the weapons themselves can be...or consider the designers were really careful about how much protection they put around something that can go BOOM when hit. wink

This ain't Battletech! smile

Here's what doesn't go boom as equipment since it is either a property modification, is an infantry only item which is gone in a single hit anyhow, or destroyed on its own specific hit already. (It's also a shorter list this way) wink

OFFICIAL DOESN'T GO BOOM LIST
Amphibious Modification
Anti-Grav
Arm Shield
Arm without Hand
Arm with Hand
Ceramic Composit Armor
Co-pilot/Gunner Seat
Crystal Reinforced Alloy
Hovercraft Modification
Jump Pack
Leg
Limpet Mines
Organic Armor
Personal Mount
Superior Alloy

Short explanations for a couple items:
Aerial, aquatic, hydrofoil, and submersible modifications are included in the GO BOOM category because they are movement/environment modifier items that if hit will...or rather, should...prevent the unit from gaining these advantages due to being compromised. (ie: a sub isn't going to be able to dive with a large hole in the hull...or it'll dive but not hold air real well). :twisted:

What do you think about showing damage on the data card as:
[OO] for items listed in Tables 8&9 (1st Damaged, 2nd Destroyed.)
E[OO] for things Damaged/Destroyed from an "Equipment" hit.

Arms and legs already have check boxes which can be marked either /or X.
Maybe add check boxes for the power plant?

Paul

I have no preference either way on that Paul.  Some folks may find it easier...others possibly more confusing....so it's simply a preference of the sheet designer. wink