Topic: An inquiry...

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=153114

From The Miniatures Page

Re: An inquiry...

I signed up here.  I'm Nathaniel on TMP.  Now that I'm searching threads here, it looks like most of my questions will be answered.  I'll probably proxy some stuff (don't have any mechs built yet) and give the demo rules a try.

welcome to the firing line mate... :wink:

Well, I bought a copy of the rules through RPGnow.  Just for your info, I bought it for the robust construction system.  There are things other games don't handle (Heavy Gear is missing VTOLs, CAV is missing small mechs) and it's nice to see a set of rules that really is about using the stuff you want in a game.

My laser printer is about to be put to work.

The TMP thread has gone from an inquiry to a pretty nice review. smile

Well, I got the PDF pretty quickly and gave it a review based on my initial read through.   The only bad side is that I don't know if I got the wrong file or chose the wrong thing with RPGnow, but my copy is A4.  Not a huge problem scaling that to US Letter size when printing.  I have no idea if RPGnow gave me a choice and I just messed up or what.  No biggy or anything.

I've decided to get things on the table faster, I'm going to order some of the EM4 cheap mechs.  Local stores won't bring in DP9 or Reaper stuff until they get enough special orders and their own restocking to place an order with distributors that gives them free shipping.

I'll post more and perhaps start a thread about what I'm planning with the rules in a bit.  It's Canadian Thanksgiving and I need to get some appetizers prepared in the next hour.

No...nothing wrong Nathan.  The printed "hard copy" is a bit taller and narrow than standard as well.  Chalk it up to a piece of software that will never see the light of day on my computer ever again.   :oops:

it was ME ME ME who wrote that on TMP.  Been out of the MJ12 loop for awhile, just found this site again, lol.  where better than the home forum for good info eh...

so does wardogs do heavy gears as written?  fast agile meks, animaish?  apparently it does big lumbering BT style meks, just wondering how it fares with those, as they are a bit different styling and usage. 

or just different frame styles and options?

thanks for any info:-)

The construction system is, by default, set up so that the designer has to make a choice about the unit performance vs armor vs speed vs size.

It's also set up to customize and adapt as you'd like...as was done with the Classic Battletech Mechs, so that you can run the game you want to run.  Think of it as a framework of rules and a toolbox if you will.  smile

For Heavy Gears, I'm thinking of a size 3 unit, 2 for the recon gears, 4 for the bigger ones 4 or 5 for the striders.  I'd definitely use the rules for hand held weapons as most of their weapons are.  Generally only missile pods will be mounted weapons on gears.  I'd probably give them an extra magazine as well.

There are a decent number of gears that have things like light mortars built in, grenades they can toss on infantry, etc.,.  I'd probably handle those as non hand held weapons.

To make it extra agile (hard to hit and fast), I'd spend equipment modules on extra movement and thermal dampers.  I'd keep the armour to a minimum to keep the speed up.  I'd give it some, but not max it out or anything, expect for the heaviest of gears.

The end result would be a small mech, anywhere from two to four times as high as a man, with a handheld weapon of some sort, relatively light armour, but good at moving and evading.  Depending on the gear, I might add ECM/ECCM stuff and any other bits and bobs from the design system that made sense.

nathan wrote:

For Heavy Gears, I'm thinking of a size 3 unit, 2 for the recon gears, 4 for the bigger ones 4 or 5 for the striders.  I'd definitely use the rules for hand held weapons as most of their weapons are.  Generally only missile pods will be mounted weapons on gears.  I'd probably give them an extra magazine as well.

There are a decent number of gears that have things like light mortars built in, grenades they can toss on infantry, etc.,.  I'd probably handle those as non hand held weapons.

To make it extra agile (hard to hit and fast), I'd spend equipment modules on extra movement and thermal dampers.  I'd keep the armour to a minimum to keep the speed up.  I'd give it some, but not max it out or anything, expect for the heaviest of gears.

The end result would be a small mech, anywhere from two to four times as high as a man, with a handheld weapon of some sort, relatively light armour, but good at moving and evading.  Depending on the gear, I might add ECM/ECCM stuff and any other bits and bobs from the design system that made sense.

Sounds about right for Gears as I see it.  You could also take Thermal dampeners which I think would still be fitting for the period.

-Bren

I would one would like to see a HEAVY GEAR conversion or at least some of the mechs stated out.

Hmm ... I have all the HG and JC books, but I'm not sure that I know the system well enough to stat them out the same way I did the BTech mechs (which I still need to update and expand to include all the 3025 era mechs).

It's a good idea though!

Only stuff I have are the CBT rules (packed away). 

On a side note:  Just saw that Wardogs got a 7 out of 10 rating at Boardgame Geek. smile

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/38639

It's hard to get a high rating there.  7 isn't bad at all.  I have no idea how to rate things on BGG.  I sign in, but don't see any obvious area to rate things.  I don't know if you need a certain level of account, or have to put the game into your "own" list first or what (however you do that).  It's not the easiest site in the world to use.  If I ever do figure it out, I'll rate Wardogs as well after I've gotten a few games in.

I plan on converting the heavy gear stuff to wardogs, but it's not high on my list.  I'm not sure when I'll be getting some of the gears in and likely won't have the drive to do a lot of converting work for stuff I won't use yet.  When I do it though, it'll be the stuff in their latest version of the rules (Blitz Locked & Loaded).  I don't have the massive amount of books they've come out with in previous editions.  Except the aerotech one.  I have that.

woot!

nathan wrote:

It's hard to get a high rating there.  7 isn't bad at all.  I have no idea how to rate things on BGG.  I sign in, but don't see any obvious area to rate things.  I don't know if you need a certain level of account, or have to put the game into your "own" list first or what (however you do that).  It's not the easiest site in the world to use.  If I ever do figure it out, I'll rate Wardogs as well after I've gotten a few games in.

You've probably seen this already Nathan, but it's decent info anyway. smile  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/ratings#

Thanks for the link.  What an odd process.  You'd figure right by the rating, they'd have a button that's like "rate this game" or something.

nathan wrote:

Thanks for the link.  What an odd process.  You'd figure right by the rating, they'd have a button that's like "rate this game" or something.

I work in the municipal engineering sector and I can testify that common sense or practicality have been excised to the depths of the abyss! :roll:

So seeing things made more difficult than they have to/should be is no longer a surprise. :wink: