Topic: beginner questions regarding presentation of info

Okay. I'm starting to work on writing up an army using UNA.  I have some questions.

There is a lot of data that is presented when writing out the army list and the specific units and weapons, and such.  I would imagine some of this data is primarily for the creation phase versus not necessarily for the actual game play itself. Am I correct in this? 

When looking at a description there is a sense of data overload.  Is there a template or anything that can be used for organizing the information for an army?  I love the style of the pages in the book describing the forces and the sample assault trooper page on the download section. Has anyone made a template of this?

Also, out of curiosity, do people use Defiance to simply convert armies from other game systems or do people  create an entire new setting and simply use miniatures from different systems to represent the armies that populate that setting?  Just curious as I understand either is viable.

Also, the Boer war-esque figures that are in the main rule book ... anyone actual manufacture those?

Re: beginner questions regarding presentation of info

drsid wrote:

There is a lot of data that is presented when writing out the army list and the specific units and weapons, and such.  I would imagine some of this data is primarily for the creation phase versus not necessarily for the actual game play itself. Am I correct in this?

Obviously you only publish the stuff one needs in order to play the game using the list, so there is no need to write down how PV for a frame accumulated, for example, or what a specific Augmentation does. The lists in the D:VG book have some stuff in them that strictly speaking would not need to be there, e.g. they repeat of rules for different types of combiweapons, and I have largely followed the "convention".

I love the style of the pages in the book describing the forces and the sample assault trooper page on the download section. Has anyone made a template of this?

There was an aborted attempt at making an Excell-based points cost calculation tool some years back, and while the file AFAIK never got finalised, IIRC it was able to format what was entered to look like the "data cards" in the D:VG book. You could try sending a PM to Demian, I'm sure he has the latest version of the file.

Also, out of curiosity, do people use Defiance to simply convert armies from other game systems or do people  create an entire new setting and simply use miniatures from different systems to represent the armies that populate that setting?

Yes. With the caveat that I really don't know of that many cases where anyone is actually doing anything at all with it, obviously.

Also, the Boer war-esque figures that are in the main rule book ... anyone actual manufacture those?

Not that I know of, and I must say I don't think anyone will (unless someone "borrows" the designs and makes non-Defiance-Boers-in-space). Would be happy to be proven wrong, preferably on both counts, but the last and best I heard was that "options were being looked at" to produce Defiance minis and that was quite a while ago.

Re: beginner questions regarding presentation of info

I've done both: used miniatures from existing lines to make my own devised army for Defiance, and converted stuff to be like it was in its original system.