Topic: Iron Stars timeline

cricket wrote:

We're assuming that it took the Martian cylinders about 3 months to get to Earth (the time between the opposition of February 1901 and the spring landings). It would probably take humans a bit longer to get there, at least at first.

Although this was my estimate when Iron Stars was first written, it may be somewhat incorrect. I'm such a geek, I think we can narrow this down further.

The clues:

BOOK ONE/CHAPTER ONE:
"During the opposition of 1894 a great light was seen on the illuminated part of the disk ... Peculiar markings, as yet unexplained, were seen near the site of that outbreak during the next two oppositions.

"The storm burst upon us six years ago now. As Mars approached opposition, Lavelle of Java set the wires of the astronomical exchange palpitating with the amazing intelligence of a huge outbreak of incandescent gas upon the planet."

...and...

BOOK TWO/CHAPTER 10:
"Seven months ago now, Venus and Mars were in alignment with the sun; that is to say, Mars was in opposition from the point of view of an observer on Venus."

Therefore:

(1) I read this to mean that the Invasion occurred following the third opposition from 1894, although it is possible it was after the second. These were in January 1899 and February 1901, respectively.

(2) It is stated explicitly that the Invasion was six years ago, from the viewpoint of the author. Further, Mars and Venus were in opposition "seven months ago". The three Mars-Venus oppositions after the start of 1905 were in May 1905, April 1906, and February 1907. These give possible authorship dates of December 1905, November 1906, and September 1907. Subtracting six years from each gives possible Invasion dates of December 1899, November 1900, and September 1901. Accounting for a three-month "rounding error" in the author's "six years" figure, we get ranges of:

(A) September 1899 through March 1900
(B) August 1900 through February 1901
(C) June through December 1901

Option (A) could be correct, although it is unlikely, as the opposition occurred eight months prior to the start of the indicated range, and while the text is not explicit, that seems too long of a gap between the observed launches on Mars and the landings.

Option (B) cannot be correct, as the Martian opposition only happened towards the very end of the indicated range.

That leaves option (C). The text states that the launches occurred as Mars "approached" opposition, so let's assume it was in late January or early February 1901. Further, while the text is not explicit about the time of year, it does say the landing occurred on a "warm night". This means earlier in the indicated range is more likely than later.

Therefore, I believe the Invasion happened during late July or early August of 1901, with a roughly six-month lapse from launch to landing.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Iron Stars timeline

And, going with the 1901 date for the Invasion, instead of 1899, allows us to use the following real-life tidbit from the New York Times:

"Early in December of 1900, we received from Lowell Observatory in Arizona a telegram that a shaft of light had been seen to project from Mars (the Lowell observatory makes a specialty of Mars) lasting seventy minutes. I wired these facts to Europe and sent out neostyle copies through this country. The observer there is a careful, reliable man and there is no reason to doubt that the light existed. It was given as from a well-known geographical point on Mars. That was all. Now the story has gone the world over. In Europe it is stated that I have been in communication with Mars, and all sorts of exaggerations have spring up. Whatever the light was, we have no means of knowing. Whether it had intelligence or not, no one can say. It is absolutely inexplicable."

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

One final reason why 1901 is preferable to 1899:

BOOK TWO/CHAPTER TEN:
"Subsequently a peculiar luminous and sinuous marking appeared on the unillumined half of the inner planet, and almost simultaneously a faint dark mark of a similar sinuous character was detected upon a photograph of the Martian disk."

In order for option (A) to be correct, we have to assume the author is discussing the May 1905 opposition of Mars and Venus -- and at this time, Earth was directly between the two planets. To me, this means that talking about the "unillumined half" of the inner planet makes no sense, since the entire disc would have been dark when viewed from the Earth.

During the February 1907 Mars/Venus opposition (corresponding with option (C)), Earth was positioned such that Venus was half-full, and Mars was almost completely full. This better fits with the text.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

So, what is the official Iron Stars timeline?
The first Martian cinder fell in a Surrey field during the spring of 1901.
This is the starting point of the martian invasion that ended some weeks after that.
But the war of the worlds doesn't end here, at least the Iron Stars war. I would like you to put the month and the year of each scenario. It is nice for us fluff addicted.  big_smile

On the home front, the 3 iron Stars books are as follows:

Iron Stars Rulebook:

1902 - Great Britain - Japan mutual defense treaty
1903 - sloop HMES Cavor is launched.
1904 - Entente Cordiale
1904 - Japanese attacks Port Arthur
1905 - Chinese attack Hong Kong
1905 - Russian splits into Soviet Republic and White Russia(?)
1906 - France declares war on Soviet Russians and China

Merchant Wars:

1907 (Summer) - a german aether destroyer discovers an asteroid belt with wasserstahl
1908-1909 - The Merchant Wars
(anything else of interest?)

Southern Front:

1908 - The white night
1908 (November) - The Flot Efira is created
1909 - Ernest Shakleton finds the abandoned Martian Outpost in South Pole
1909 - Japan absorbs Korea
1909 - Spain launches her first aether ships
1910 - First lunar mission from the spanish
1910 - Soviets employ new weapons against the japanese
1910 - ABC warships isolate Port Stanley
1911 - Spain colonizes moon
1911 - Great Britain uses the first sucessful orbital bombardment against Buenos Aires
1911 - The Paris Accords

Blackronin wrote:

This is the starting point of the martian invasion that ended some weeks after that.
But the war of the worlds doesn't end here, at least the Iron Stars war. I would like you to put the month and the year of each scenario. It is nice for us fluff addicted.  big_smile

Actually, the scenarios in The Merchant War and Southern Front are all Matt Curtis. I'll have to defer to him for that information.

(And I'm a bit annoyed -- no one's impressed that I was able to whip out the dates of the relevant Mars/Venus oppositions?)

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

Actually, the scenarios in The Merchant War and Southern Front are all Matt Curtis. I'll have to defer to him for that information.

(And I'm a bit annoyed -- no one's impressed that I was able to whip out the dates of the relevant Mars/Venus oppositions?)

I'm trying not to look so much like a synchophant as Kevin seems to think I am big_smile

Yes. I admit it.
sad
I was covered in shame with your astronomical knowledge and so I pretended to ignore it so I wouldn't become embarassed.  :oops:

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:
Shame. Shame. Shame.

Blackronin wrote:

I was covered in shame with your astronomical knowledge and so I pretended to ignore it so I wouldn't become embarassed.

Your shame has been noted and logged.

Now, more to the point...

Does anyone see any glaring errors in my analysis? (i.e. that the Martian Invasion happened in the summer of 1901, and not 1899.)

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Yes. I admit it.  :roll:

I didn't want to point it at you so you wouldn't become embarassed and now I am myself covered in shame for not having done it.   :oops:

Shame. Shame. Shame.

:oops:  :oops:  :evil:

Blackronin wrote:

Yes. I admit it.

I didn't want to point it at you so you wouldn't become embarassed and now I am myself covered in shame for not having done it.

Umm... I'm afraid I don't follow you.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

It's nothing, Daniel, just a poor joke.

It's a joke about "ketsu giri", a japanese paradox about duty and honor.

In "ketsu giri" whatever happens it's always your fault, because you supposely had the duty to prevent others to lose honor by pointing first what they shouldn't do, but if you had the arrogance of doing it you would lose honor so you couldn't do it, so if you didn't do it you weren't making your duty, but if you make your duty, and so on and so on...

I concur with your temporal analysis Fleet Admiral. Your math-fu is once again proven superior. wink