Topic: Interested in ARES

I've been looking for a game that can be used for multiple genres, such as ancient, fantasy, modern, sci-fi, western, etc. I know ARES is designed for fantasy, but can it be used for other genres with little to no house rules? Also, what size of battles is ARES designed for? I'm looking for something that handles smaller battles, from Necromunda size (about 8-12 models per side) to AT-43 size (a couple dozen models in small units and some vehicles). I like the look of the rules I read in the demo version and I'm just wondering if I should go for the full version.

Re: Interested in ARES

well of course you should get the full version smile

There's also plenty of cross-genre rules and lists available.

We used Ares for a zombie game last year and it worked out great.

Re: Interested in ARES

Shadowdragon wrote:

I've been looking for a game that can be used for multiple genres, such as ancient, fantasy, modern, sci-fi, western, etc. I know ARES is designed for fantasy, but can it be used for other genres with little to no house rules?

ARES has been used for fantasy, sci-fi, weird west, 54mm LotR, and even Fisher-Price play toys.  :mrgreen:
The only things I've added were fate, might and will for the LotR version (borrowed from GW), and extra dice for automatic weapon fire for the weird west and sci-fi versions. I also added a few things like a move and shoot action, ducking back, and out of ammo rules. But very little needs to be added for any genre.

Shadowdragon wrote:

Also, what size of battles is ARES designed for? I'm looking for something that handles smaller battles, from Necromunda size (about 8-12 models per side) to AT-43 size (a couple dozen models in small units and some vehicles). I like the look of the rules I read in the demo version and I'm just wondering if I should go for the full version.

ARES is scaled similar to Warzone, VOR, or any other game that uses unit activation, but individual model movement and combat resolution. But it also scales well. If you want a smaller game with fewer models, just give them each a few more wounds. If you want a larger game with  more models, give the grunts one wound each, and just individuals two or more wounds.
There are a lot of different force lists posted at the ARES-variants egroup you can use as examples.
Kevin