Topic: Question about stands/basing

Here's a dumb question from a newbie:

Do most gamers glue minis to their stands or leave them seperate?

And, anyone want to recommend a good source for stands? I'vw scratch-built some ships (posting soon), and want them to look snazzy. B5 wars had some *AWESOME* stands, but they are now OOP.

Re: Question about stands/basing

I use citadel bases but make my own posts out of brass rod and jewelry barrel clasps so they can dismantled for easy transport among other things.

Star Ranger's site had a tutorial on this at one point.

go0gleplex wrote:

Star Ranger's sight had a tutorial on this at one point.

My barrel clasp and tubing basing method is outlined here:
http://www.star-ranger.com/BasingMinis.htm

It is a bit involved for some but it has worked out well for me.  I am experimenting with rare-earth magnets with similar supplies and if that works I'll post a similar tutorial.

Ninja Magic has made some magnetic adapters that are really slick and do 90% of the work for you, they just are a bit expensive.
http://www.rattleheadgames.com/catalog/NJM1100.html

Some people just make sure the fit is tight and remove the mini for storage and transport, all up to you.

If you like the old AOG B5Wars bases, you can still get them (the former owner of AOG still sells old stock bought back from distributors on the old AOG Store site) http://www.agentsofgaming.com/oshop.htm  The bases are under B5Wars Misc Minis.  ADB also sell these bases.

Other companies sell bases too, Brigade Models, GW, GZG, ADB, etc

I haven't done this yet, but I'm going to use the following method with my Scotia 1/300 WW II aircraft and Battlefleet Gothic Eldar ships.
I'm going to use earth magnets.
They're very small and unobtrusive, but very powerful and not very expensive.
You simply glue a magnet to the underside of each ship, and to the top of whatever basing you decide to use (obviously making sure to align the opposite poles correctly).
This way you can store your aircraft and ships and bases seperately, and simply mount whatever ships or aircraft you're going to use at the time you use them.
Kevin

just got some combat wombat minis and he uses Earth Magnets for the tank turrets... very slick

Back when I was messing about with Paper minis, I considered using those tiny plastic snaps that women use on blouses and such for turrets and mecha limbs...haven't tried it yet.

It's amazing what things can be re-purposed if you think about it while waiting for the wife to finish picking through dress patterns.

Walmart sells the barrel clasps that Star Ranger uses, as well as those plastic snaps. I know they have magnets in the craft section, but I sincerely doubt they're rare earth magnets.

Ninja magic have really cool magnetic stand toppers.   Pretty spiff, but kinda expensive.

-Bren

thedugan wrote:

Back when I was messing about with Paper minis, I considered using those tiny plastic snaps that women use on blouses and such for turrets and mecha limbs...haven't tried it yet.

It's amazing what things can be re-purposed if you think about it while waiting for the wife to finish picking through dress patterns.

Walmart sells the barrel clasps that Star Ranger uses, as well as those plastic snaps. I know they have magnets in the craft section, but I sincerely doubt they're rare earth magnets.

Would you have some images of these?
I am always looking for items I can use as turrets ....

Thanks Much,
Nahuris

you can get great magnets out of the Magnetics sets you might be able to pick up at garage sales, etc

Litko Aerosystems makes adhesive magnetic bases. They are very reasonably priced. Stick em right on the bottom of a hex/round / rectangle base.  I use them for my Hordes/Warmachine army and my starships. Then I just put the ships on a metal tray. (old shelf unit)  Fast cheap solution.  For added protection, put the tray in a plastic case.

Nahuris wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Would you have some images of these?
I am always looking for items I can use as turrets ....

Nope, but I'm sure that google can turn up all sorts of 'plastic snaps' - or just go to you local big-box retailer's sewing section - or your local sewing goods store...

Yeah, I hit my local craft stores last night - found some stuff ---

It's getting harder to do any scratch building - they closed my local hobby stores, and the next nearest game store stopped carrying styrene --- so I'm back to looking for places to get materials.

Plus, I was a big fan of the GW flight bases.... and the local GW stores are claiming that they no longer can get them --- so I am also looking for a new supply of inexpensive bases -- I have some ideas, but will have to experiment some to see how it works .....

Maybe I'll just save up a thousand and buy one of those home rapid prototype machines --- feed it a cad image, and pop out figs while I sleep....LOL

Nahuris

I hear you nahuris. We have a joanne's fabrics in town on the verge of going under...the BIG craft store went under. I want supplies I have to order online.

Just about any stand can be had from here:-
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/MINIAATURES_BASES.html
check out the cheap mechs thread in wardogs for delivery comments.
Paul

Geez, you guys are making me feel spoiled.....

Things are opening up all over the place here. There's a "Sam Moon's" just opened up just down the highway. I've got TWO 'Hobby Lobby' stores five miles or so in opposite directions. 2 Walmarts not far away - one has a Sam's Club next to it. At least three different places that have sewing supplies.

Flip side is there's not a LOT of game stores - Grapevine Mall has a GW Store, two Mom and pop-sized 'Comics and Games' not TOO far away - not much selection, though. And I can't find anyone (I quit looking REAL hard) that can game on my weird work schedule....