Topic: an amusing experiment

Last week the group I play with tried an experiment with our game set up. 

We divided the table into a 2x3 grid of 1' squares.  Then we took turns placing a piece of terrain in each square (1 large building, 1 small building, 1 small hill, 3 stands of trees).  Finally we dealt a hand of cards the same as we would for initiative, to determine the order of unit placement.  As each unit was deployed we rolled a d6 for the square that it was allowed to be deployed into.  following that we rolled our customary 1d4+3 for number of turns (4 in this case), and dealt a new hand of cards for initiative.

It was a lot of fun, and a definitely different feeling than our usual games.  We were forced to use troops in unexpected ways, and even re-evaluate some warband configurations.  Archers, wizards, and "support" individuals were much riskier to play (or had to be combined into one unit - at the expense of initiative cards), as were units that relied on open terrain or special terrain types.  I highly recommend it as an occasional deviation.

We think we have just enough room for a 4x3 grid for our next game, and using a d12 for placement.  That might be a little friendlier to ranged figures, at the cost of possibly delaying the fight an extra turn or two for movement.

Re: an amusing experiment

Sounds fun.
Could opposing units be deployed in the same square?
And if so, did the second unit to be deployed in a square have to start a minimum distance away from the first unit?
Kevin

That did happen, yes.  We had a unit of 9 spearmen start in the same square as a unit of 6 skeletal archers.  The archers placed after the spearmen, and chose a position several inches away along a tree-line.  I can see how a minimum 6" distance, or square-edge might be useful to keep units from starting base-to-base for example.

I'm not sure if it made a difference to the enjoyment, but we typically have 3 players.  I'm not sure the appeal would be the same for a 1 on 1 game... probably would, I imagine.

We did this again last night with 400pt armies on a 3x3' grid. Romans vs Troglodytes vs Skeletons for 7 turns. Had a blast.  A short picto-log of the game is up here: http://smarmybastard.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=45 .