Topic: Starmada Rules Annex released

Majestic Twelve Games is pleased to announce the release of the Starmada Rules Annex -- a compilation of all the game-related data from the first four Starmada supplements: the Imperial Starmada Sourcebook, Hammer & Claw, Dreadnoughts, and Iron Stars. Within these pages you will find everything you need to bring your games up to date:

* New starship options, such as anti-fighter batteries, overthrusters, flotillas, and limited ammunition;

* New rules for three-dimensional movement, combat interception, shipboard combat, and critical damage; and

* New traits that can be used to expand your arsenal to include crew-killing, shield-ignoring, starship-exclusive, and/or catastrophic weapons.

In addition, players can expand upon their one-shot battles with the "Simplest Campaign System", as well as an introductory version of The Sovereign Stars: a complete board game that can be used as a scenario generator for Starmada.

The Starmada Rules Annex is not a stand-alone product; ownership of the Starmada Admiralty Edition Core Rulebook is required. For more information on this and all of our products, visit the Majestic Twelve Games web site at www.mj12games.com.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Starmada Rules Annex released

Hey Cricket, is there anything new in the annex or is it all reprinted material from the products I already have (all of the books thus far released)? Just wondering. Thanks.
Erik

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Hey Cricket, is there anything new in the annex or is it all reprinted material from the products I already have (all of the books thus far released)? Just wondering. Thanks.
Erik

It is a compilation of all the game material from the first four supplements -- so no, there is nothing "new".

Although one might think it's useful to have all the rules in one place... smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Save me a copy, I'm going to use some of my funds that I'm saving up for such an eventuality to buy it. And in book format too--printing out the pages yourself is a false economy...

It'd be nice to see what the Iron Stars and Dreadnoughts rules have done to the game...:)

Darn, I wish I knew that this was coming out before running Starmada BSG games.  I could have told people that it was something to get the rules without the fluff if they wanted to.

Still, exited to see another rulebook come out!
-Bren

Cricket,
I know there are no "new rules," but does the new book "fix" or do any minor updates to the already printed rules supplement?

kehrer1701 wrote:

Cricket,
I know there are no "new rules," but does the new book "fix" or do any minor updates to the already printed rules supplement?

The only thing I'm aware of that was "fixed" is the rule on Ammunition, which apparently some earlier printings got wrong.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Just put in my order for it. How long will it take to get here? I ordered via MJ12Games, btw...:D

Have you thought about doing a deluxe edition of all the SA rulebooks, including the basic rulebook...meaning an all in one book that has "everything" in it.  Might be able to do it in a loose leaf format so one could put it in a binder.

Oh, and I will be putting in my order tonight also!

murtalianconfederacy wrote:

Just put in my order for it. How long will it take to get here? I ordered via MJ12Games, btw...:D

I'd say at least a week to 10 days, since you're overseas...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

clarified my post..

I picked mine up yesterday. It's great, having all the mods in one place is nice.

Will an updated shipbuilder be out anytime soon?

I can wait...:)

Just hope we are there when its delivered--otherwise its going to be even longer. Or worse, they'll just shove it in and don't matter if its damaged. Just like my B5W books I got a couple of years ago...

I got mine too.

How about an updated ship builder?

Thanks!!

Got mine last week too.
I'd like to echo the last post: Any word on a new shipbuilder?

Just went an bought a copy in pdf from RPGnow, and am perusing it...  I noticed that on page 15, no multiplier is listed for the Crew-Killer weapon trait.  I'm guessing it's around x1.5 (since the expected value for hull hits goes from .5 to .75), but that's sort of an issue.

Also, the text at the beginning of Non-Piercing [X] on the same page suggests that it expands the Piercing trait...  shouldn't it expand the Non-Piercing trait?

Page 22: etheric movement: "The procedure for completing a starship's movement consists of two steps:

3) Movement orders are written for the ship during the orders phase.

4) The ship's model is moved on the game board according to those orders during the movement phase."

Other than those couple of editing issues, though, it looks pretty good.

I bought mine last week.

As for the shipbuilder, what exactly are you missing from the current one?

Nomad wrote:

Just went an bought a copy in pdf from RPGnow, and am perusing it...  I noticed that on page 15, no multiplier is listed for the Crew-Killer weapon trait.  I'm guessing it's around x1.5 (since the expected value for hull hits goes from .5 to .75), but that's sort of an issue.

Also, the text at the beginning of Non-Piercing [X] on the same page suggests that it expands the Piercing trait...  shouldn't it expand the Non-Piercing trait?

The Mod for Crew-killer is 2.0
I have not seen the Annex but both Piercing and non-piercing were expanded, +1 to +3 and -1 to -3.

Paul

There is another issue--the flotilla example doesn't seem to work. I've just handwaved it as some typos, but it looks quite unusual to say the least...

murtalianconfederacy wrote:

There is another issue--the flotilla example doesn't seem to work. I've just handwaved it as some typos, but it looks quite unusual to say the least...

See:http://www.mj12games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1504
If the example is the same as page 11 of Dreadnoughts it will be in error.

Did you remember to give all weapons the (Star)ship-exclusive trait?
I kept forgetting, that is why I put the choice for all weapons to take this into account without having to add the trait into the shipyard.
Guess I'll have to buy a copy later to take a look at.

Paul

Okay, here's what I see as the corrected flotilla example; any problems?

In starship construction, flotillas are designed by first creating the individual ship class that will make up the flotilla. A flotilla ship has 40 space units (SUs), an engine factor of 1, and a shield factor of 15 (essentially, a ship with a hull size of ½).

The V1-class destroyer is a flotilla ship with an engine rating of 6 and no shield rating. She has a battery of 3.4”/45 guns:

RNG 3, ROF 1, ACC 3+, IMP 1, DMG 1
[ABCD][CDEF]

She also has a battery of 20” torpedoes:

RNG 3, ROF 1, ACC 6+, IMP 4 DMG 1
Halves Shields
[C][C][D][D]
Ammo: 4

The engine rating takes up 6 SUs. The guns require a total of 20 SUs, while the torpedoes' SU cost is 7, for a total of 33.

Once a single starship has been designed, the flotilla can be assembled. The flotilla will have a hull size equal to the number of ships in the flotilla, with the number of weapons in each battery multiplied by this size. Any starship options that involve a capacity, or any batteries that include an ammo limit, will also have this value multiplied by the hull size.

A V1-class destroyer flotilla contains a total of six individual ships. This yields the equivalent of a single ship with a hull size of 6, twelve 3.4” guns, and twenty-four 20” torpedoes with an ammo limit of 24.

Next, compute the combat rating of the flotilla as if it were a single starship; however, apply a final modifier of ×0.5 to the defensive rating (DRAT).

The offensive rating (ORAT) of each battery is as follows:

3.4” guns: 20 × (3 + 6) ÷ 3 = 60 × 6 ships = 360
20” torpedoes: 7 × (3 + 6) ÷ 3 ÷ 0.6* = 35 × 6 ships = 210
Total ORAT = 570

*Modifier due to the ammo limit (see option C.5: Ammunition).

The DRAT is:
1 × 12 ÷ (6 – 0) × 0.5 = 1 × 6 ships = 6

This yields a final combat rating of:
(570 × 6)^0.5 = 3420^0.5 = 58.48 = 58

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I checked the example this way:

3.4"/45 Guns: RNG 3, ROF 1, ACC 3+, IMP 1, DMG 1, [ABCD][CDEF]
SU= Roundup (3 x 1 x 1.25 x 1.6 /3) x 0.7(ship-exclusive) = 2 (1.4)
Total SU= 2 x 10 (Weapons + Arcs) x 6 (ships in Flotilla) = 120

20" Torpedoes: RNG 3, ROF 1, ACC 6+, IMP 4, DMG 1, Halves Shields. [C][C][D][D], Ammo:4
SU= Roundup (3 x 1 x 4.25 x 1.6 /12)  x 1.8 (Halves Shields) x 0.7(Ship-exclusive) = 3 (2.142)
Total SU= 3 x 8 (Weapons + Arcs)  = 24 x ((4 + 4) / (10 x 4))(Ammo rule) = 5 (Roundup 4.8) x 6 (ships in Flotilla) = 30

ORAT
3.4"/45 Guns: 120 x (3 + 6) / 3 = 360
20" torpedoes: (30 x (3 + 6) / 3) = 90 / 0.6 (Ammo Mod for 6 ships/ hull6) = 150
Total ORAT:510

DRAT
6 x 12 / (6-0) = 12 x 0.5(Flotilla Mod) = 6

Combat Rating
Round(510 x 6)^0.5 = 55 (55.31)

Paul

OldnGrey wrote:

I checked the example this way:

Upon further review, yours is correct.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

That's what adequate playtesting (and/or proofreading) gets you.
Heh heh heh...
wink

Ah, so it is the way I saw it, but the example in the book is really bad, as the ORat is out and so is the DRat, giving a total of ~139 for the CRat