Topic: Pre-Dreadnought Era

Hello all,

Anyone know where I can find technical data on warships especially pre-dreadnought's.  I have been doing some reading about Russo-Japanese War and wanted to put together some scenarios.   My problem is that most of the books I have are seriously lacking in the technical data I would need to stat out the ships.  I did find a couple books for sale on Ebay and B&N, but they were used and their sellers had serious cases of.... well lets just say the prices are steep.

Anyway, I'd like to play out some scenarios of the Russo-Japanese War and the First Sino-Japanese War and tech data is sparse.

Any pointers of where I can find it would be welcome.

Re: Pre-Dreadnought Era

Do a google for the following books. Very reasonable if you know where to go wink .
Conway's - All The World's Fighting Ships 1860-1905
Conway's - All The World's Fighting Ships 1906-1921
These two books are pretty good, with all the stats you need

Cheers

Bruce

Arrggghhh!!

They sure are proud of the Conway's 1860-1905.    I actually have enough to cover pretty much anything 1905ish forward.  It is the earlier period that is hard to find.  $180-290 is pretty steep though.   :shock:

Spence wrote:

Arrggghhh!!
They sure are proud of the Conway's 1860-1905.    I actually have enough to cover pretty much anything 1905ish forward.  It is the earlier period that is hard to find.  $180-290 is pretty steep though.   :shock:

I was lucky enough to collect all three Conway's way back when, so I paid around $60 per book.
Conway's 1860-1905 and 1906-1920 were the two books that I used as source material for GF I.

If you don't want to go the Conway's route, just try Googling the ships you're wanting info on. For pre-1905 stuff it can sometimes be a little more difficult search. But anymore I've found that info on just about any warship is out there, and usually on several different sites. 
Kevin

What happened to the Tsar & Emperor book that was to have all this info in it?
Don't say that it got canceled!

I cranked out a bunch of ship cards and scenarios, but since I'm not involved with the project anymore, I guess I don't know.  smile

Thanks for all the replies.  I have been accumulating information from multiple sources as I find them, plus I have gotten some great info PM'd. 

When I get the info organized and converted I'll post the list and ship cards. 

I've been a little busy, that thing called real life intruding, so it may take a little while.

A question though.  Currently for armor you need to determine type (either by year or detailed in ship information) and then Belt, End and Deck.  I have come across a few ships that do not mention ends.  If you only have Belt, Deck and Turret information, how would you figure Ends?

End armour is a formula based on belt armour. You don't need to know the actual end armour as it has been made to be abstractly assumed to be derived from the belt armour.

brucesim2003 wrote:

End armour is a formula based on belt armour. You don't need to know the actual end armour as it has been made to be abstractly assumed to be derived from the belt armour.

I think that qualifies as a "duh" on my part.....

I'm so used to using historical values for Belt, deck, etc, that I didn't read closely.  Both Deck and End are figured from formula vice using historical values.