Topic: Tar, Sails, and Salt......

I was looking at the possibility of creating a game based on the old sailing ships... maybe between 1600 and 1850?   

I was wondering how possible it would be to re-create the Battle of Trifalgar as a game...... Unfortunately, my knowledge does not extend to game design.....

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

John

Re: Tar, Sails, and Salt......

Heh... are you spying on my e-mails with Kevin?

big_smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

No, but I did do a thesis on naval warfare in that time period .... worked at the Whaling Museum in NewBedford, MA.... worked in the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA.... and have been a deck hand on a couple of ships built for re-enactment.  I have always absolutely loved the age of sails.... and was just wondering if anyone here had considered a game based on it.....LOL.

I've even built model ships in bottles.....

The idea just sort of struck me, as I was looking at some online pics at work, and wishing I could be out sailing rather than sitting at a desk.

John

Nahuris wrote:

No, but I did do a thesis on naval warfare in that time period .... worked at the Whaling Museum in NewBedford, MA....

So, it sounds like you're volunteering to do some playtesting/editing/fact-checking, right? smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Sure thing....

Did you plan on using a construction system? Or are you going to use historical designs only? There were a lot of innovations during the latter half of the 18th century...  one of the biggest innovations of the time was the Frigates of the fledgling US... such as the USS Constitution. The Hull, rib structure, and keel design were radically different than the norm for the time, resulting in a faster, more durable design. The designer of those ships actually snuck out of England after he had attempted to sell the idea to the English, and they refused.

Also, there is the Razee's.... Which were British ships of the line that the French captured... they would raze (remove)  one of the decks, and make it a lower sleeker design.... faster and more maneuverable at the cost of some firepower.

The reason I bring this up is that the American Frigates were vastly superior, and could stand up to ships with half again as many cannon, and frequently gave British ships of the line a run for their money...but were definitely within the same time period. French ships tended to have better rigging and sails, and were maneuverable to a fault... which makes me wonder what would have happened if we could have gotten an American hull, French rigging, and British crews and gunnery, all on one ship......

John

Nahuris wrote:

Did you plan on using a construction system? Or are you going to use historical designs only? There were a lot of innovations during the latter half of the 18th century...  one of the biggest innovations of the time was the Frigates of the fledgling US... such as the USS Constitution. The Hull, rib structure, and keel design were radically different than the norm for the time, resulting in a faster, more durable design. The designer of those ships actually snuck out of England after he had attempted to sell the idea to the English, and they refused.

Well, I'm planning on using historical designs for the moment -- but with enough detail that the distinctions between USS Constitution and British frigates of the same rate will be maintained. One thing I haven't been happy about with existing games is the degree to which differences in ship design have been glossed over; e.g., all British 1st rates are the same, or even all 1st rates of ANY nation are the same!

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I know they're old-style, by now, but I suggest if you can looking at a copy of Paul Hagues Sea Battles in Miniature. That, amongst other library books, was what got me interested in wargaming to start with. Problem is is that they have to be at least thirty years old by now, and I don't even know if they made it over to your side of the Atlantic.

Hi
Was there any movement on this?  I've played a number of Age of Sails games and always happy to try a new one.  I live in Rochester, UK, right next to Chatham where the HMS Victory was built on the river Medway, so I've been interested in age of sail wargaming for sometime.
David.