Topic: Kriegsmarine

Okay, this is my first ship, and of course to start off the Kriegsmarine what could be better than the Bismarck?:

First - does that look right?  I wasn't exactly sure which tonnage to use - that's for 41,900t - fully loaded was much higher at 50,500t.

Boy the AA scores get pretty high for the WWII ships don't they!

I will updated that file regularly until I get the German Navy done.

-Tim

Re: Kriegsmarine

Looks fine, but I would make the following changes:

Armour: 13/10/11
AA value: 50/35/20
Point value: 443.

Of course you will have to recalculate for the Tirpitz AA outfit and displacement (not sure if the latter will make any real difference)

And If you think the AA values on these guys are large, my stats for the KGV in 1944 are AA: 178/125/71.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce,

I arrived at those stats just putting in the armour thicknesses and AA guns I found in Wikipedia/Osprey books.  That was 320mm for belt and 120mm for the deck.  Am I inputting the wrong numbers?

-Tim

Oops! My stuff-up. I forgot to change the armour type. :shock:

Cheers

Bruce

Updated with 8 ships.  I have to say I like how the differences in stats play out here.

The only thing I had some uncertainty on was the armour ratings for the destroyers.  I couldn't find any technical data on how thick their armour was - I assumed 1" for belt and deck to give a 7-6-7 as I felt they deserved better than 6-6-6 (which is what the TB's will get).

Next I'll do Tirpitz, Prinz Eugen, Nurnberg, Atlantis and T27 (all WaS minis).  I should probably also distinguish between a late and early Scharnhorst too.

-Tim

I would think most destroyers are effectively unarmoured. Btw, the german G7A T1 had a range of 15300yds (8 in game terms). In 1939 it used a different engine and the range was a 7

Cheers

Bruce

brucesim2003 wrote:

I would think most destroyers are effectively unarmoured. Btw, the german G7A T1 had a range of 15300yds (8 in game terms). In 1939 it used a different engine and the range was a 7

Cheers

Bruce

Hey, thanks didn't know that.  So do you figure from 1940 onwards range 8?

Yep. You might want to check out this site: http://www.navweaps.com/

Cheers

Bruce

Wow, that's quite the website. 

I think I'm going to have to pick a year for each class of ship and go with what they had in that particular year.  I think what I might also do is for Tirpitz and Prinz Eugen is have them set at a rather late year as this will help to distinguish them more from the Bismarck and Hipper class which I'll set at 1940.

I tried to hunt down destroyer hull thicknesses and the closest thing I could find was that the Fletcher class had 0.75" belt and 0.5" deck.  That's probably not far off just what minimum steel hull any ship uses.  In game terms you really need at least 1" of plate before you get any benefit.

-Tim

Hehe. That's why my sheet was set out to output it in tabular form. I tend to be a little excessive when it comes to differences between ships with refits etc. The Queen Elizabeths, f.e. have 5 different versions - 1914, 1926, and 3x 1937 (the last to acount for the fact that the ships of the class recieved vastly different refits.) You can't really do that if you are outputing the data as SSD's.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce,

I think with the automated SSD generation that I added to your worksheet it would be easy enough to peal off all the SSDs - even for the Queen Elizabeths!  You'd probably want them for playing anyways.

It would be great if we could consolidate as much of the WWII ships as we can and post them in the files section.  That way those who wanted to do WWII action could just jump right in.  And of course if Daniel wanted to do up a WWII supplement he'd have a big  head start  wink

Okay updated with 12 SSDs total.  That pretty much covers my mini selection for the Kriegsmarine.