Topic: Castles of Steel questions: LOS, stacking, older DD stats

1) The rules do not mention if ships block LOS. The scale is 2 nautical miles per hex for Grand Admiral. So I am wondering if, for example, a line of BBs or BCs that are in between your BB and the target BB would block due to the intervening ship profile and funnel smoke.

2) Stacking rules say five ships per hex. Sound reasonable to allow 1 DD Flotilla and 1 CL per hex along with the five ships?

3) I was drawing up the orders of battles for Jutland and appears there are not stats for a couple of older DD classes.

I made these:

Acheron-class DD
same as Acasta class except:
1 VP and no torpedoes

V1-class DD
3 VP, 4 torps, 5/2 speed, 1/1 gun and 0 penetration at range 1 and 2 (but 1 is short range), armor 2/2, hull 2.

thanks,
...Fen

Re: Castles of Steel questions: LOS, stacking, older DD stats

dotichnus wrote:

1) The rules do not mention if ships block LOS. The scale is 2 nautical miles per hex for Grand Admiral. So I am wondering if, for example, a line of BBs or BCs that are in between your BB and the target BB would block due to the intervening ship profile and funnel smoke.

Sounds reasonable as a house rule.

2) Stacking rules say five ships per hex. Sound reasonable to allow 1 DD Flotilla and 1 CL per hex along with the five ships?

As mentioned in the designer's notes, the stacking rules are based on an assumed distance between ships in a line. You can expand or contract this limit as you see fit without breaking the game.

3) I was drawing up the orders of battles for Jutland and appears there are not stats for a couple of older DD classes.

The cutoff for ships was made at 1000 tons. Both the Acasta and V1 come in under this limit, so they were omitted.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Castles of Steel questions: LOS, stacking, older DD stats

Thanks for the explanations! Really enjoying the game.