Topic: Grand Fleets Scale Question

kevinsmith67206 wrote:
fdelias@e3pc.net wrote:

> The rules contain a conversion formula, but I have no idea as
> to what scale the formula is based.  Is the formula based on
> the use of 1/6000 miniatures?  If so, how would the formula
> differ for 1/3000 or 1/2400 scale?  I am currently deciding
> on which scale miniatures I am going to use, so knowing the
> different formulas for 1/6000, 1/3000 and 1/2400 would be appreciated.

> The quick answer is that it doesn't really make much
> difference. I'd use those conversion suggestions for anything
> 1/2400 or smaller. The reason I say this is that I game using
> 2 inch hexes, and I'd use those same hexes whether I was
> gaming with 1/3000 scale or 1/6000 scale ships.
> When you start getting into bigger scales than the 1/2400
> scale ships then you should probably think about upping the
> ranges and movement.

I concur with Kevin on this one (surprise, surprise).

I know of at least one person who uses 1:700 ships, with the same conversion formulae. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Grand Fleets Scale Question

(Steam) naval games rarely, it seems, have the ground scale match the miniature scale.  I've been playing Grand Fleets with 1/2400 scale miniatures and a 1:18,000 ground scale on a 6x8 foot table.  Even if I went to 1/6000 miniatures, I'd need a 18x24 foot table to make the scales match.  I sure don't have a table that big.  I don't think I even have a floor that big.

So I agree with Kevin, too.  Don't worry about it.  No one else does.

-Eric

I trust no one minds if I reply to myself smile

I just want to point out that there's nothing sacred about the conversion formula in the rules (which works out to 1:36,000, if I remember correctly).  I've been using 1 hex = 4 inches for range, and 1 hex = 2 inches for movement, which is 1:18,000 ground scale with 6 minute turns.  It keeps my 1/2400 ships from either zooming around the table, or getting together in a weird little bunch for combat.

One can imagine all sorts of terrible things that might happen if one messes with the time scale of a game, but they don't seem to have actually happened.  (My only concession to the altered time scale is a house rule for multi-turn topedo movement.)

-Eric

So, ericrrrm

Are you asying that nobody else is worried about agreeing with Kevin, or that nobody else actually acgrees with him smile

ericrrrm wrote:

I just want to point out that there's nothing sacred about the conversion formula in the rules (which works out to 1:36,000, if I remember correctly).  I've been using 1 hex = 4 inches for range, and 1 hex = 2 inches for movement, which is 1:18,000 ground scale with 6 minute turns.  It keeps my 1/2400 ships from either zooming around the table, or getting together in a weird little bunch for combat.

As long as the movement and combat ranges are consistent with themselves and each other, there's no reason why you couldn't use any conversion system you wish, either for hexes or inches (or cm, for those VAT-payers smile ).

The only really important conversions are for the ships' weapons, armor, and hull values...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

As long as the movement and combat ranges are consistent with themselves and each other

Yes, and as I've discovered, a perfectly reasonable game can be played when the ranges aren't even consistent with each other (which effectively sets a different length of time per game turn).

either for hexes or inches (or cm, for those VAT-payers)

Or both.  The 1:18,000 ground scale and 6 minute turn lets me use 1 inch= 500 yards for range, and 1 cm = 1 knot for movement.  I have tape measures marked with both inches and centimeters, and it works pretty easily.

(jimbeau - that was much funnier than what I meant to say.  Thanks!)

-Eric

I'm here to please

ericrrrm wrote:

Or both.  The 1:18,000 ground scale and 6 minute turn lets me use 1 inch= 500 yards for range, and 1 cm = 1 knot for movement.  I have tape measures marked with both inches and centimeters, and it works pretty easily.

That's pretty nifty, actually... smile

Might want to 'borrow' the idea myself.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

As long as the movement and combat ranges are consistent with themselves and each other, there's no reason why you couldn't use any conversion system you wish, either for hexes or inches (or cm, for those VAT-payers smile ).

The only really important conversions are for the ships' weapons, armor, and hull values...

So, we could use minis from - say .....Man-O-War?

(wonders what the cost of a giant hammer would be)
:-P

thedugan wrote:

So, we could use minis from - say .....Man-O-War?

(wonders what the cost of a giant hammer would be)

Sure... why not?

Maybe there's room for a MOW/Grand Fleets crossover?

smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

>>So, we could use minis from - say .....Man-O-War?
>>(wonders what the cost of a giant hammer would be)

>Sure... why not?
>Maybe there's room for a MOW/Grand Fleets crossover?
>:)

Heh.....we'd need some 'official' rules for magic and admirals for it....Giant Hammers, Large Pliers, damage from catapults.... (wonders what Kevin's reaction is)
:-)

Daniel-

The ultimate in "scale niftiness" is actually the 1:36,000 ground scale and 12 minute turns you suggest in Grand Fleets.  It gives 1 inch = 1000 yards and 1 cm = 1 knot. 

But I don't want my three-inch battleships (1/2400) blazing away at ranges of 15 to 18 inches.  It would look funny.

-Eric

ericrrrm wrote:

Daniel-
The ultimate in "scale niftiness" is actually the 1:36,000 ground scale and 12 minute turns you suggest in Grand Fleets.  It gives 1 inch = 1000 yards and 1 cm = 1 knot. 

But I don't want my three-inch battleships (1/2400) blazing away at ranges of 15 to 18 inches.  It would look funny.
-Eric

While the historical crowd would find it 'funny looking', it's perfect for Man-O-War.
:-)

ericrrrm wrote:

True... but it would be perfect for all the Avalanche Press GWAS counters I have. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com