Topic: The Warring Triumvirate

Here is the first of the SAE to SNE conversions. I did the initial notes myself, then used Paul's shipyard to do the hard work...:)

EDIT: removed file, new version of The Warring Triumvirate below.

Re: The Warring Triumvirate

This is very well done!
Facinating reading and interesting designs.  I like it!! 8-)
The big ships with level 2+ shields looks very formitable. Here in Jacksonville, my friends have stopped using Sields on their ships and we have all remove piercing from all weapons.  Too often, on the first threshhold/damage check they have rollled a 1 or 2 on the shield roll and the ship was then vulnerable for the rest of the game.  Have you had that problem and how have you dealth with it?
My personal naval type ships never had shields, but use ablative armor.

I haven't had the time to play any games...:(

Also, these were, more or less, straight conversions of the ships in the SAE version of The Warring Triumvirate. Some ships (mainly the big ships) were massively over their allocated SUs (I think thats because of the Fire Control being an addition to the defence score), while most of the ships were under, with some having a couple of hundred SUs remaining (which made it very hard to resist adding a few more weapons...:) )

I've done the follow-up supplement--the Veiled Serpent--which I should be posting up tonight or tomorrow. Doing that, I found that the Carnalim's ion array had, for sixteen months, been listed with an incorrect range... :oops:

Here it is--the Veiled Serpent. Now with correct Carnalim ion array range...:)

EDIT: removed file, new version of The Veiled Serpent is below.

Deleted files as found errors when doing SAE rewrite. Have decided to get rid of all SAE-based supplements. Please do the same. Thanks.

Deleted post

I noticed that the maximum range of some weapons on this huge, but slow ship is 15.  How come there are no weapons that shoot farther?  A ship with weapons that shoot farther and greater speed could in theory pound this ship for a long time and eventually defeat it.

I remember you asking me that the last time...:)

I design my ships to try and be as fun to play with as possible, and long-range slugging matches, in my mind, aren't that much fun (and it sometimes feels like power-gaming to me, which I'm not a great fan of). I know your group does, and thats good, but they don't give much variety in ship design, IMHO.

And then there's my own signature of having some race that is either more powerful than the others (in this case, the Aalkeri and Xevaxan), less powerful, or both (my Interregnum had that with the Lohvalik and Foralan, IIRC). If the baseline ships are all armed with range 18, that leaves advanced races with little room to have ranges that indicate "You really don't want to mess around with us"

If you don't like short-range brawlers, you probably hate my Assyria Six setting--maximum range 15, with standard ranges of 3 to 9, but then I was going for a truly low-tech feel.

I feel the problem is not with the relatively short range (15 is long enough, I too like to have weapons under 15 hexes) but about the slow speed of such a ship. Suppose you have two opposing fleet of such slow ships. You will have to wait some turns to have both fleet within shooting range, with almost no maneuvering (how can you maneuver with speed 2), then they will have many turns of shooting before being very close to each other (say, the range between them between less than their speed). I suppose a lot of ships will be dead before that.
Personnally, I prefer medium to short range for weapons (not having to write move orders 'blindly' but knowing where the enemy will be  before moving allow you to use any range for weapons) and medium to fast speeds (4 is the absolute minimum).

Marc

Hmm, maybe...

An important consideration for me is that the maximum size of the board I can utilise means that even with these 'slow' speeds, the ships enter weapons range in about one or two turns. And that means more weapons, which in turn means quicker battles.

Another consideration is that, due to time constraints, I tended to use Starmada primarily as a basis for designing ships to convert to VBAM, which at least allows you to game without turfing the family out of the living room for a few hours. In that, engine speeds didn't really affect the conversion process, so ships tended to be speed 1 (!), so speed 2 seems fairly quick for me...:)

Another thing to consider is that these are the brawlers of a fleet. There are faster vessels in each fleet (although the Olhaz really are slow--their fastest vessel is speed 3, but their fighters were meant to be an integral part of the fleet)

Also, these are straight conversions of SAE ships. New SNE ships that I do will be having super-fast speeds of 3, maybe even 4!  :shock:

big_smile

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was brushing you off, but I have to share internet time with my family and they were looming over my shoulder, so I had to be more brief than I wanted...:(