Topic: Print-and-play vs. hardcopy?

A question came up on the Miniatures Page about a "boxed" version of Grand Admiral, since PDF counters are a pain to assemble. I understand and agree that they can be a pain, but I have no means to produce die-cut counters.

I can produce pretty decent counter sheets, but the buyer would still need to cut the individual counters apart. Is that a significant enough improvement on PDF that it's worth doing?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Print-and-play vs. hardcopy?

Pdf's would be fine. Print them out, then mount them on the back of a lino floor tile - presto, you got counters (although if they are double sided you have a bit more work).

Cheers

Bruce

What about wooden counters like the ones that you used to have for Starmada?

If I was buying Grand Admiral, I'd buy some wooden rectangles at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, and print the counters out on Avery label paper.

bekosh scoops me!  I was going to suggest that the counters be designed to print out on labels.  Design flat counters of the ships as if viewed from above at 1/6000 scale that woudl use one of standard label sizes.    Then one only needs to pick up a pack, print them out and stick to a base.    Litko makes fairly inexpensive bases with rounded corners that would work great.  If you stick the 'counter' to a plastic base, matt and then seal them, you'll have a set of rugged long lasting miniatures that will fit in a small case.  And if they get damaged you can just re-print them.

Doing some follow-up on this...

It appears I could produce a full-color printed version of Quantum Legions: Vanguard for a retail price of $19.95. However, it would still require some assembly; i.e. the counter/marker sheets would need to be folded, glued, and cut apart.

(Note that this would include 11x17 map sheets printed to the edge -- i.e. no trimming required -- which seems to be the big problem for those printing at home.)

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Then one needs to pick up a package print them and stick to a basic. Litko base is quite cheap with rounded corners which would be a big deal.

cricket wrote:

A question came up on the Miniatures Page about a "boxed" version of Grand Admiral, since PDF counters are a pain to assemble. I understand and agree that they can be a pain, but I have no means to produce die-cut counters.

I can produce pretty decent counter sheets, but the buyer would still need to cut the individual counters apart. Is that a significant enough improvement on PDF that it's worth doing?

Here is a page with info that may help with this issue:
http://privatewars.kyth.org/making_your … unters.htm

It details how to print and cut out your own counters.