Topic: Grand Fleets Ship Design Tool?

Has anyone put together a spreasheet or anything smilar for creating ssd's for Grand Fleets?

Greg

Re: Grand Fleets Ship Design Tool?

gbierl wrote:

Has anyone put together a spreasheet or anything smilar for creating ssd's for Grand Fleets?
Greg

Not that I'm aware of.
Kevin

Thanks for the info.

Greg

Well ... I've put together something using TeX (Donald Knuth's typesetting program).  If you are familiar with TeX, I'd be happy to send you what I have.  But if you're not, it wouldn't be worth learning it just for this.

Tex is something I looked at like 5 years ago or more when I ran Linux - not for the casual user! (Being one myself)

I've knocked up a simple spreadsheet. It doesn't generate SSD's, but it gives you all the data you need to fill one out. If anyone wants it, give me a shout and I'll post it.

Cheers

Bruce

I don't think that anyone would object if you posted it here.

See "Upload Attachment" below.....

I, for one, would be VERY grateful.
I'm constructing an alternate history Confederate States Navy for some games with a friend. As I have over 40 ships ranging from the pre-dreadnoughts of the Spanish-Confederate War to the 1920's, it would make it MUCH easier for me to create my Ship Data Cards (as an SFB player, I can't call these 'SSD's' with a clear conscience wink).

OK guys, well here it is. Some things to note:
1: Yellow squares are input, red is output.
2: The gun calculator and torpedo calculator is only needed if you don't know the game specs of the weapon, but you do know the RL specs.
2: The various battery calculators are only there to work out the odds of a mount being hit, and the point value of the ship. You need to know the arcs of the mounts, but you only input the number of arcs/mount(i.e. a mount with arcs of ABCD is 4 arcs. A mount withe the arcs of CDEF and the same no./type of gun goes on the same line). If two gun mounts have the same number of arcs, the same number of guns, and the same gun type, they will take up one row on the battery calculator.

Any other questions, ask and all will be made clear

Cheers

Bruce

Sorry for the thread necromancy!

Bruce, for the AA and LG what are the different "types" in your sheet?  Also I think your "Size target modifier" might be a hold over from the previous version.

-Tim

The AA gun types are for you to add different calibers of gun. You might have type 1 is 4"AA, type 2 could be 20mm.

The target size modifier is the die roll modifier for the target. (f.e. your Bismarck is a very large.) The workbook expresses it as the drm instead of the descriptive. Saves having to remember what the descriptive equates to.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks, I figured it out a bit later.  I've done some modifications to your sheet and I'll repost it when I'm done.  Mostly doing it so that I can output it in the format of the rulebook.

As for size, are the +2 and -2 from the previous version?  I think you can only get +1 or -1 now.

-Tim

My version (GF2, July 2009) lists sizes as v. small - small - medium - large - very large on page 49. I'm not aware of any changes.

I would be interested in your changes to the worksheet. I designed it so as it would output a line of data that could be put in another spreadsheet. I was working toward a listing of all the ships in the major navies from 1890 to 1945, but I 've kinda gotten sidetracked.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce,

Here's the file with modifications.  The only thing I can think of adding to it would be a page with the drake notation (but I'm not even sure the exact format for that has been decided upon for GF2) and possibly the gun data as a drop down list.  However, I'd need Daniel to provide me with an unprotected list so I could cut and paste it in.

-Tim

Marauder wrote:

and possibly the gun data as a drop down list.

I actually don't use the default gun charts. I prefer to calculate the guns from scratch, and compile my own database as I go.

Cheers

Bruce

Okay, well I guess we are done then!

Note that the formatted ship output can handle a fair number of weapons/torps without having to be custom formatted.  All the right number of check boxes should appear and for the most part weapon arcs/hits only show up if you actually have a weapon there!  If you don't have a weapon, delete its name and set number of weapons to 0 etc (on the worksheet).

-Tim

Sorry to necro an old thread - but I wanted to give thanks for making the ship tool spreadsheet available  big_smile

I've created 2 IJN BB (Fuso and Yamashiro) and 2-3 classes of  IJN DD (Tanikaze, Isokaze, and Momo) - if anyone wants to review or to have - just give me a heads-up.

Mahalo!

What are changes in GF 3 that impact ship creation?

No need for detail - unless you want to go there  big_smile

The input is similar to GF2, but the stats and ship sheets are quite different. So new formulas and new design sheets are required.

Marauder wrote:

The input is similar to GF2, but the stats and ship sheets are quite different. So new formulas and new design sheets are required.

Excellent - I really like/enjoy this part of the game  big_smile

Now if I could play this w/ VASSAL...