Topic: Grand Fleets: Third Edition now available

Majestic Twelve Games is proud to announce the release of the third edition of Grand Fleets.

Grand Fleets is a tabletop game of naval warfare during the age of the battleship. From the ironclads of the late 1800s to the floating fortresses of World War II, players can take command of the ships that altered the course of history.

In addition to the basic rules for surface actions between 1890 and 1950, Grand Fleets includes rules for using submarines and aircraft alongside your battlewagons. Advanced rules are also provided for things like RADAR, smoke screens, critical hits, fleet morale, night fighting, and destroyer flotillas.

All distances in Grand Fleets are given in thousands of yards (kyds), giving you the flexibility to adapt the tabletop scale to whatever size miniatures you have on hand. The rules are also written to accommodate hex-based play, if desired.

The rulebook contains 160 ship data cards representing over 50 different classes. Best of all, you'll never have to wait for official publication of your favorite ships: comprehensive, step by step guidelines are provided to generate game stats for any vessel that put to sea during the battleship era.

So, raise the battle ensign, sound general quarters, and damn the torpedoes — your destiny awaits!

For more information, as well as a free download of the basic rules, visit our web site: http://mj12gam.es/gf3

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Grand Fleets: Third Edition now available

Yay!!  big_smile

Got it  big_smile

first comments: I like it but... I miss the detailed gun and torpedoes in edition 1 and 2, they allowed for quicker ship creation. Yes I know, I am lazy...

Not sure I understand what is meant by "detailed"...

When it comes to game data, the only loss in detail is the reduction from three AP values to one.

Or do you mean the fact that in GF1/2, each gun mount had its own arc of fire? If that's the case, then all I can say is the time spent computing F/A modifiers up front is more than made up for in speed of gameplay later on.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I meant that in 1 and 2 there was a table with pre-calculated values for guns and torpedoes listed. It was quite exhaustive . You had all the stats already calculated and you just filled in. I can do math, I just did not like to do it, plus you could quickly compare guns and torpedo for everything rather than just for the ship listed. Yes, I know that I can do one by myself... but... I am lazy!  big_smile

Ah. That makes sense. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

We just need some kind soul to do up an excel conversion sheet with all of the weapon stats preloaded in there  wink

If it helps, here is a sheet with game data for of all the guns used by ships in the GF3 rulebook.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Please check the descriptions for Critical Hits. I think that a ship can only have one each of a Engine, Fire and Flooding critical marker but under Engine it says "one or more FLOOD markers" and under Fire it says "-1 attack modifier per marker". Also the way that the Flooding critical says "If a ship has multipule FLOOD and/or ENGINE markers" should that be "If a ship has a FLOOD and ENGINE marker".

You are absolutely correct. Thank you for catching that. I will make the changes in the next revision.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Just saw this.  I'll need to order a copy.

By the way, if you've been waiting to pick up a copy of the Grand Fleets rulebook, today might be your day. It's the Deal of the Day over at DriveThruRPG.com, where you can get the PDF for only $5.65!

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com