Topic: The Nine Benevolent Laws

After a snafu two weeks ago I found out that I could actually bring in a USB stick to upload the relevant files should I so choose. Two weeks of hard work later, here it is--three supplements: The Nine Benevolent Laws, a supplementary supplement, For The Betterment of Humanity, and a mini-supplement which gives a little framework to the potential for a third supplement.

Here's the three supplements in 'normal' mode: i.e., not designed for printing

Re: The Nine Benevolent Laws

And here are the above three in a printer-friendly format--smaller font (11--9, 16--12 etc.)

Okay, the zip files I had intended to put on here won't, for some reason, upload. So I'm gonna have to save them on here then post them up individually.

First, the brief information file:

The Nine Benevolent Laws (main document)

P-O: Printing-Optimised (font size reduced to enable multiple ships to appear on one page. Total page count: 150)

Std: The standard document (Total page count: 324)

For The Betterment of Humanity (supplementary supplement; Archaic Tech)

P-O: Printing-Optimised (font size reduced to enable multiple ships to appear on one page. Total page count: 24)

Std: The standard document (Total page count: 54)

The Nine Benevolent Laws Example Obsolete Vessels

P-O: Printing-Optimised (font size reduced to enable multiple ships to appear on one page. Total page count: 6)

Std: The standard document (Total page count: 11)

And the two design guides--one with the TLs, one with the limitations of Obsolete and Archaic tech

Here are all the shipyards and some design notes. I had to save them, then zip them here for some reason.

And, for some reason, the zip programme doesn't like text files, so here's the last thing:

Note: The Obsolete and Archaic Military weapons were designed when I decided to expand the weapons found in the Civilian and Raiders to allow for military units of Obsolete and Archaic tech to be designed.

Because of that, all weapons do NOT possess the 'Old' moniker, but they are 'Old' in that they are used by Archaic and Obsolete ships.

And with that mammoth info-dump, the supplement that started life as a SUE supplement back in September, had a re-design in October and a tricky transfer during November and December, is done.

Judging on the near future, this might be my last supplement because I need to be in an 'up' frame of mind to work on doing supplements and the next few months look like they might offer very few opportunities for that mindset. I will try to post up the Obsolete supplement as soon as I can, but that's not a cast-iron promise...

EDIT: I checked the files and they all seem to download properly. Let me know if there's any problems

Just a quick note:

A fair few vessels were designed before everything got set in stone--specifically, I had given different names for the weapon systems known as the Light and Heavy Self-Destruct Charges (because I initially thought of them only for a specific role--the Heavy SDC was initially named the CABINET Mount Self-Destruct Charge as they were intended to self-destruct the platform after their CABINET Mount had been discharged to prevent any knowledge of who'd employed such a device).

Instead of changing the weapon names in the spreadsheets I simply replaced the mentions of the previous weapons with either Light or Heavy Self-Destruct Charges in the Drake Notation files I'd kept for document assembly, but forgot that I'd called them Self-Destruct Charges and instead called them Self-Destruct Mechanisms. Rest assured, both are correct, just a slight naming difference.

Also, such Self-Destruct Charges/Mechanisms do not count as weapons per se when designing Archaic vessels--they're simply a catastrophic-fail device installed on the primary powerplant of the vessel. The ASBC capital ships actually have their oversized powerplant exposed to vacuum to enable a far more effective self-destruct (to prevent Berserkers gaining access to their computer cores and crew). Thus those Archaic vessels with SDCs in the Aft or L arcs are correct, it's just the powerplant having a catastrophic-fail device installed.

As of yesterday, an ongoing redesign of the setting has reached around the 60% mark, with complete designs for the Archaic and Obsolete eras, Modern Civilians and Raiders. Still to do: the Modern Military, Berserkers and ABSC. I must admit the technique I've employed of designing from earliest to latest has meant a universe that feels like it's evolving. Before, when I'd only really intended the Modern era and then designed the Archaic and Obsolete eras' ships, they didn't feel right.

I just hope there's no major issues (or even minor issues) with my Shipbuilder as that's what I have been using for the redesign...

It's finished!

As soon as I can find a way to post all four supplements on here I will. Yep, that's right, four supplements!

For The Betterment of Humanity (Archaic era) (120pgs)
The Universal Freedom of Choice (Obsolete era) (192pgs)
The Nine Benevolent Laws (Modern era) (324 pgs)
Not Enough Fish In The Sea (bonus Archaic era supplement based on a short fiction piece) (60pgs)

I had hoped to have a short fiction piece in each supplement but, given that writer's block has hit big time, I decided to keep with the supplements as-is.