Topic: FtM V II Playtest Available

Let me know who wants a copy.

Playtest draft, may change completely , no points system as i am still cogitating upon the value of a d6

Re: FtM V II Playtest Available

Ok I am confused. If this is a new version read on- if this is a add on to the current version of FTM stop reading.

Will this be a replacement to the current version of FTM? And if so will the
people who bought the current version have it made available to them??

Wes.

Nothing is finalized, yet.

Basically, as with any ruleset there are opportunities for player feedback and other improvement points. Just as there have been several versions of Starmada over the years, FtM has had some refinement after over a year on general release. We are exploring these, and are continuing to solicit input to make them better.

We are still developing any plan of how to implement the changes.

We are still developing any plan of how to implement the changes.

I would only add that there are some fairly significant changes to the system.  We're not just looking at errata and "pretti-fication"

We've done some major work on points of issue and done some deep development of major races to add to the mix.

However, there is still lots of opportunity for player input. 

Also, there is no formal release date set.  It'll be done when it is done.  smile You can imply, however, that we are very close, I wouldn't release just a draft copy, even to playtesters, after all.

jim

I was wondering if anything about attacking fortifications or creating fortifications is going to be added in the new rewrite? 

I know that there was talk about making things hex-side based for walls and the like.  Any work completed on that or are sieges going to be a separate book? I think that something should be included.

-Bren

We do have new fortifications rules for testing in the what is being worked on, yes.

there was talk about making things hex-side based for walls and the like

Fortifications are pretty simple, the actual rule proposed reads thusly:

Fortifications are a blend of terrain and unit – artificial terrain – intended as protection for the units behind them. In short, fortifications may be any type of permanent barrier designed to prevent bad guys from getting to your sheep.

Fortifications have a defense and a wound value appropriate to their construction. 

For example, a castle wall might have defense of 5 and wounds of 8 while a wooden barricade around a town might have defense 1 wounds 4.

Fortifications are not subject to the unit size limitations. That is, they may fill a single hex or many more than 12.

Fortifications may never be moved.

Excellent!

Are there going to be a difference between a bunch of mansize figures trying to beat down a wall and a large siege weapon crushing something?  For that matter, are there going to be anything about height of a fortification?  Just wanted to see if sieges were going to be covered.

-Bren

Yes, there is a special called Artillery which halves the defense of any fortifications smile

And there's not really a height issue with forts, it's simply the defense and the wounds, so a defense 1 wounds 10 wall might be 100 feet tall whereas a defense 1 wounds 2 wall might be 10 feet high, I don't really know or care I guess how tall the wall is.

The special "Assault Equipment" makes it possible for a unit to climb fortifications.

jim

If there is a new version needing playttesting. I am interested.

yes, pm me for an updated version and please send me the spreadsheet

actually, anyone who wants it can take it for playtesting.

I have to warn you all tho, nothing has changed about the magic system or ranged weapons

one thing that I thought was intereting is that you thought ranged weapons were kludgy.

I'm not saying they aren't kludgy, but maybe you can help make them less so? Ideas?

Hi there

Is the playtest bersion still available? Would be really keen to look at it. I have the 2004 version of your rules.

Thanks

Pursio

I'm assuming from the response to the last post that the 2nd edition was shelved indefinitely?

David