1 (edited by mort2018confed 2022-12-10 13:35:44)

Topic: murtalianconfederacy's alternate alternate-history Iron Stars setting

A while ago (no idea how long) I designed a few Martian vessels for Iron Stars. Back in 2016, when I finally obtained Dreadnoughts and Iron Stars, my interest was re-kindled enough to try and launch an alternate IS setting. But, as with quite a few things around that time, it died. I initially was planning on transferring the core concept to SAE, but that died too.

Then, about a month ago, I decided to re-start work on it. I had three factions--the Martians, a Balkan Confederation and a Russian Union of Revolutionary Committees, but I needed others. Finally, going through multiple updates (first to the alien powers, then the non-central human players, then the Big Five/Six, then the rest of the solar system's powers), here it is: the complete alternate alternate-history Iron Stars setting. Over 600 vessels designed for about thirty factions in total. Yep, I don't dream small...

Just a note: two factions were late additions. The Selenite Clans and the Mercurian Dictatorships were not designed until around three days before today. Initially Mercury was uninhabited and the Selenites would have been in a similar way to how they would have been treated if the narrator of 'First Men in the Moon' had been successful. But I decided instead to make them a power in their own right. I had intended to make them low-tech but instead...well, they ain't going to be a pushover. Neither are the Mercurians. Despite their presence in the document itself, please feel free to disregard them if they're too munchy.

Another note: during the design process, I didn't know when Saudi Arabia became Saudi Arabia. I thought it was later than it was, so initially christened that state the Arabian Union. Afterwards I found out they were around before the Calamity, so changed the faction name to Saudi Arabia, but missed the change for the Yanbu' al Bahr class gunboat. My apologies

Because of the max size limit, I've had to create five individual documents (the original was 6MB)

[attachment=1]IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy Title.pdf[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy British, French, Japanese.pdf[/attachment]

Post's attachments

IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy Title.pdf 844.79 kb, 1 downloads since 2022-12-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by mort2018confed 2022-12-10 13:36:40)

Re: murtalianconfederacy's alternate alternate-history Iron Stars setting

And here are the rest:

[attachment=2]IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy American, Italo-Spanish, Dutch.pdf[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy Scandi-Baltic, Portuguese, Balkan, Russian, Minor.pdf[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy Aliens.pdf[/attachment]

Post's attachments

IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy British, French, Japanese.pdf 1.74 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

3 (edited by mort2018confed 2022-12-10 13:37:13)

And here's just a taster...

The Martians...
[attachment=2]Inka'Thezo-class heavy cruiser.png[/attachment]

The Jovians...
[attachment=1]Qilfa'Gyortov-class Heavy Monitor.png[/attachment]

And the Empire of Titan...
[attachment=0]Toraban-Plaran light battlewagon.png[/attachment]

Post's attachments

IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy American, Italo-Spanish, Dutch.pdf 1.37 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

4 (edited by mort2018confed 2022-12-10 13:37:50)

The Venusians...

[attachment=1]Sotarh-class warcruiser.png[/attachment]

The Japanese...

[attachment=2]Azumo class armoured cruiser.png[/attachment]

And the Americans...

[attachment=0]Los Angeles class bombard cruiser.png[/attachment]

Post's attachments

IS Alt Alt-History Setting by murtalianconfederacy Scandi-Baltic, Portuguese, Balkan, Russian, Minor.pdf 1.34 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

5 (edited by mort2018confed 2022-12-10 13:38:32)

Just a minor bit of errata...

When designing the Enohi-Paeli class, I initially was going to have multiple primaries so gave the Forward-Only Turrets trait. Then it got downgraded to one primary weapon. Given that previous classes of vessel didn't have any change to their CRat when adding F-OT, I thought nothing of it. Of course, then I check (after release)...

The Enohi-Paeli should have a CRat of 29, not 30. Oops...

Post's attachments

Iron Stars 'Alt' Alt-History Setting Section 4--Aliens.pdf 1.61 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

And, only ten months later, the correct version of the Enohi-Paeli can be found in version 1.02 of the Aliens document

For some reason, I checked one of the spreadsheets and realised that the Venusian Vaqartarh kinetic pursuit destroyer had F-OT applied but, because I forgot to input a 1 into the relevant cell, it didn't apply the ORAT addition. The Vaqartarh is actually 41pts, not 40. A quick trawl through all other spreadsheets didn't turn up any other obvious errors, but please let me know if you find any.