Topic: Alternate firing arcs

Hi all,

Just joined the forum after having most of the rules for years.  Lately I've been looking at Vanguard Miniatures' gothic spaceships (plus some old Shapeways ones from years) ago, and I'd like to try Iron Stars with them.  However, the main weapons are usually broadsides, with what would be secondary weapons in turrets (usually weighted towards the front).

Any ideas on cost and space changes if the primary weapons were set at F:0 P:1/2 S:1/2 A:0, and secondaries at F:1 P:1 S:1 A:0 (or other permutations).  Could you just weight the total arcs available vs. the baseline.  E.g. a score of 1 for primaries under this set up vs. 3 in the rules (F:1/2 P:1 S:1 A:1/2).

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Alternate firing arcs

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

As an off-the-cuff response, I would do the following:

Assume Fwd is worth 3, P/S are worth 2 each, and Aft is worth 1. This means the standard primary arrangement has a value of 6 (3/2+2+2+1/2).  If you wanted to have an arrangement of Fwd/P/S full and Aft nothing, this has a value of 7. So you'd increase space by 17% (7/6). If you had an arrangement of Fwd 0, Port 1/2, Stbd 1/2, Aft 0, you'd decrease space by 67% (2/6).

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Alternate firing arcs

Thanks, I'll try that!