Topic: dull weapons designs

I have noticed that in weapons design most weapons are only Imp1 and Dam1
and ships tend to pack a lot of them
has anyone tried making larger dam weapons and only having a few mounted ?

Re: dull weapons designs

Yeah.  But range gets sacrificed to a degree, which hurts. And, while when they hit they hit hard, multiple smaller and less costly weapons actually out perform them over time. Not to mention few large weapons suffer from 'all the eggs in one basket' syndrome when taking damage. The trick is to find the happy medium with one or two nasty packages while still having enough peashooters to stay effective in the fight longer.

I suspected as much. Its to bad though, a fully customizable ship design system ends up putting out cookie cutter ships.
What started me thinking about this was that there is source material from Star Trek that shows the Klingon D7 as having only 2 or 4 Disruptors mounted.
I would like to see more variety. Star Fleet Battles is one of the worst for cut and paste designs; a heavy cruiser no matter what the race has 4 heavy weapons and plus phasers.

Use of weapon traits can offset some of that cookie cutter effect and give the typical 'pea shooter' weapon a bit more bite while still staying a modest mass cost. Range though...range is key. I've had ships with statistically more dangerous weapons totally wrecked before even able to get into their effective range by simple long range pea shooters (and some very unfriendly dice). Part of the thing with doing designs for established settings such as Star Drek is that it is very very rare when the rules allow for an on par conversion. So such designs should be taken with a grain of salt when evaluating  their 'canon consistency'.