Topic: Is IS defunct?

I've been really tempted by this game for some time, and have been again recently, but I have to ask - is this game stagnant?

I see from some other threads that sales werent really going well, and thus the line of minis dried up.  I also see that there are plans for other IS supplements, but that other things are a greater priority. Quite understandable from a buisness perspective.

But also quite understandble from a consumer perspective is a reluctance to buy into a 'dead' game system.  I know that will seem a harsh judgement, especially if youve been deeply involved with this game system, but from an outsider's perspective thats how it looks.

So gimme some good news here guys!

thanks
Tas

Re: Is IS defunct?

Nope...not dead that I know of.  Just like you said...other priorities and the real world as far as I'm aware. smile

DEAD?

Good Lord, I should hope Not!

Summer is the time that everything seems to slow to a crawl around here - Insert your favorite theory....

Personally, I've been dealing with some personal issues, and my attentions have been elsewhere. You also have to bear in mind that MJ12 is not a big game housee that pays wages as such - We all have day jobs. Those day jobs require our attention at times. Sometimes so much that we are unable to spend any time gaming or thinking about gaming.

MJ12 is a labor of love that occasionally pays some small dividends, most of which are those wonderful hours playing like we're in another time, doing something else than actually working....

There was discussion about what direction Iron Stars was going to go, but then we all got tied up in doing the Grumm Wars thing for Starmada.....

Glad to hear that is the case.  You may have seen the reply I got to this same threat at Brigade Models regarding the minaitures line.

So what are the 'sleeping projects' - which areas are targeted for eventual expansion once some focus returns to IS?

And yes, I quite understand the needs of real life etc-  they curb my time to spend on interests as well - damn it!  :roll:

I have all 3 IS books, and some of the models. What more can I do to keep this game going?

I would love to see more IS books, even if they were just background and not rules.

dave-the-lost wrote:

I have all 3 IS books, and some of the models. What more can I do to keep this game going?

I would love to see more IS books, even if they were just background and not rules.

Ditto that.  I'd buy more minis, but there aren't enough classes available to actually make a fleet of any size, and many nationalities have nothing.  One of those products I'd like to spend on, but there's nothing left to buy...and hasn't been for a long, long time.

hundvig wrote:
dave-the-lost wrote:

Ditto that.  I'd buy more minis, but there aren't enough classes available to actually make a fleet of any size, and many nationalities have nothing.  One of those products I'd like to spend on, but there's nothing left to buy...and hasn't been for a long, long time.

I was really interested and I bought the rules and then discovered virtually no miniature support.  It is hard to play a game with no pieces. 

Has anyone thought of making "box mini's" or other types of paper mini's along the line's of Precis Intermedia's paper armies?  I personally can't draw worth squat, but I am sure that there are people who can draw them.

There are tent mini's available for the ships.  I believe they are downloadable from the IS page still.

But I also understand the feelings about lack of mini support.  Unfortunately sales of the mini's that are available are not enough to encourage immediate attention to this deficit...Brigade needing to concentrate on lines that are paying their way.

I'd end up buying a couple 50+ ship fleets myself if they were available.

go0gleplex wrote:

There are tent mini's available for the ships.  I believe they are downloadable from the IS page still.

I have them and the all three rulebooks (pdf).

go0gleplex wrote:

But I also understand the feelings about lack of mini support.  Unfortunately sales of the mini's that are available are not enough to encourage immediate attention to this deficit...Brigade needing to concentrate on lines that are paying their way.

Oh I fully understand the need of a company to stay with the profitable lines and not waste resources with non-paying lines.    But I wish they were 'box mini's', not 'tent mini's'.  The only time I really get to play anything is at cons.  I have noticed that painted metal and box mini's will attract players while tent mini's get a raised eyebrow and they move on.    It may sound weird but box mini's are taken to be 'less chinsy' than markers that don't have fronts or backs.

Anyway, it's just an opinion but IS really grabbed my attention and it's a shame it isn't represented more....

It's nice to hear folks like the background established in IS.  Todd's the big brain behind the Spaniards and the Lunar colony.  I can be blamed for the Merchant War and the other plot material in the last two books.  Fluff is the ONLY thing I can contribute to MJ12 projects.  I just don't have a knack fo coming up with actual game play mechanics :oops: 

There's been the occasional bit of talk about doing another book, then it fades.  But I have to admit, with three books and the current counters, I don't know if I would say it's dead or not worth investing in.  The response from the local guys I played with regarding the tent counters wasn't bad at all.

Hey,  Don't discount the fluff.   Mechanics alone makes a dull game  :wink:

True -

Dan is great with Mechanics, and a great organizer.

Todd's good with mechanics and background.

Matt is (no matter how much he repudiates it) great with storylines.

I do tolerable art work....

If I've forgotten anyone, please excuse me - I've yet to drink enough coffee to engage my brain fully. It takes a good team to make a good game - it's not just one thing.

Box minis would be three times as much rendering.... :shock:

You guys are giving more credit than I'm due.  I do passably well once I've been given a decent kick start...or bounced things off folks enough times to make a dent in those creative blocks. :oops:

go0gleplex wrote:

You guys are giving more credit than I'm due.  I do passably well once I've been given a decent kick start...or bounced things off folks enough times to make a dent in those creative blocks. :oops:

I suspect that the problem that both of us have is low energy. Too many side-issues like family and work to deal with.

Of course, EVERYONE on the list has a day job....

Defunct?

No.

But I have some conflicting thoughts on its future path...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Defunct?

No.

But Dan...I thought humanity was simply going to take over the solar system. wink

cricket wrote:

Defunct?

No.

Okay, now this gives me conflicting thoughts.

I don't know whether to be worried or excited.

cricket wrote:

Defunct? No. But I have some conflicting thoughts on its future path...

Subject to discussion, or do you want to hold the cards close to the chest for now?

Dan ALWAYS holds his cards close to his chest....
big_smile

...even when he tells us what he's doing.

thedugan wrote:

Dan ALWAYS holds his cards close to his chest....
big_smile

...even when he tells us what he's doing.

We won't even go into his poker face...  tongue

Toodle-pip gents,

I saw some mumblings about a new edition of IS but couldnt find a posting about it.
Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

cheers
Paul

There have, in fact, recently been mumblings about a new edition.

We ran a preliminary playtest at Archon in June, and things went pretty well.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Despite my long time passion for VSF gaming and good intentions, I somehow never got around to getting the current edition.

A new edition, which would generate some new player support and other excitement, would be something I could really get onboard with so my fingers are crossed! big_smile

Theoretically, would a new edition generate some new minis even if it was just for one or two nations?

I still have my Selenites stuff too.

Suggestions....

<I stumbled upon an old message>

....The Great War in Orbit needs doing

....Mars Attacks <again>

....A Wrinkle in Space - the discovery of Jump Drive <a segue into Starmada>