Topic: Converting Starfire

Hello, looking for some input from the folk-mind.

I like the Starfire strategic game but the tac game is a bit bland. How would you go about converting those ships to Starmada? Not exact matches, but sort of the feel. I think weapons are not too hard, but I guess I would have to estimate the average damage output per attack. The question I have is about hull size and defenses. Has anyone tried this before?

Re: Converting Starfire

I have tinkered with a bit in the past.  Give me a couple of days and I will see if I can find any of my old notes.

here are some of my thoughts ;
some issues with conversions  - weapons have narrower arcs in Starmada unlike Starfire
                                              - although screens work for shields there is no way to model armour like it is in Starfire
                                              - lasers can be Lancing to skip screens but other weapons that skip over systems cannot be simulated

those are the first things that stand out for me
if anyone has ideas on how to solve these let me know

Coming back to the conversion of Starfire idea after it spent some time lurking in my head;

-armour can be modeled with bulkheads
-the 300 deg weapons arc in Starfire can be simulated by designing all weapons to fire in G H I J K excluding L

any conversion won't be perfect, but getting the spirit of the game is the goal